Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beefed up my wireless security - now outlook won't send receive  (Read 2863 times)

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hey hi,

I recently secured my home wireless network connection by password protecting the westell 327W router. Everything works fine (Web, printers, etc) from all ends of the house except the errors at outlook when I send/receive.
    These are the error messages that come up.
    Task 'pop.gmail - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'Unable to find the e-mail server.  Please verify the server information in your account properties.'

Task 'pop.gmail.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I ran through google and microsoft troubleshooter which suggested updates (of course, done) and a a telnet test, which will check that your computer can contact our SMTP servers. It failed that telnet test so... that means...

The error you're experiencing indicates that your network is blocking access to Gmail's POP servers.

Any idea how to make my outlook talk to the gmail servers through my security?

Thanks, JC
    "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Beefed up my wireless security - now outlook won't send receive
      « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:30 PM »
      I'm using Win XP by the way. Outlook is 2003.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
        Hello,

Securing your wireless router with a password is not necessarily the cause of your issue. That password just prevents anyone from getting on your wireless network without a password. It doesn't have anything to do with your outlook messages. However, if you can't go to any sites from this pc that is having issues then it may be the problem. Just to check disable the password and see if you can send & receive mail without problems.

The problem may be one of the following:

In securing your wireless router with a password you may have also enabled its firewall by accident. You'll have to check your firewall configuration for this.

Have you installed any new firewalls or anti-virus programs or updated them?

Your account settings & email server settings are wrong. Re-enter them just to make sure.

The server may have had a problem at the time you were trying to connect. However, I'm sure you've tried to connect again lately right?

Once you've checked these things reply with answers so either I or someone else can help you further.

PS - if you have windows xp then you should say xp in your profile instead of windows 2000.
        If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:34 PM »

In securing your wireless router with a password you may have also enabled its firewall by accident. You'll have to check your firewall configuration for this.

Yes, that's it.
          It took me quite a while to gather the gumption to mess with the router settings myself - I had an IT friend set it up before - but this neccesitated my fuddling with it.
          Now I know how to fuddle!

-Entered the routers address into my browsers address bar and it opened the settings for the router, which allows me to change the firewall settings.. seems easy and simple now that I've done it.
          Thanks.