Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows updater will not install  (Read 2641 times)

Saxylady

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows updater will not install
    « on: March 12, 2010, 10:03:31 AM »
    Please help! My daughters laptop will not allow the windows updater to install. I can download updates by going to the website, but without the updater I cannot set the computer to run auto update.  Every time we try it gets almost all the way through the installation and then I get that message that it failed.

I've tried to work with Microsoft but I didn't get anywhere. Could you please help?

Saxylady

Saxylady

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Windows updater will not install
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »
      I should also let you know that we are running SP3. The updater was working fine in November and then decided to quit. When we decided to install the latest updater is when the updater wouldn't install.

talldude123

Rookie

• I enjoy computers as well as public transit.
        « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
        Are you running the lastest version of Internet Explorer 8? Also, are you updating your computer using Internet Explorer? Make sure you are; Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome don't support Windows Update.
        Woman - "Slow down, foreplay is an art"
        Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

Saxylady

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
          I am running Firefox on both computers. The automatic updates work fine on the desktop.  I've gone into IE on the laptao and tried to install the updater and it will not install. I can manually update by going to Microsofts website and finding the new updates, but cannot install the updater (the program that looks for the updates that I need to install).