Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Your Computer Really Is a Part of You  (Read 3250 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Your Computer Really Is a Part of You
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:03:59 AM »
An empirical test of ideas proposed by Martin Heidegger shows the great German philosopher to be correct: Everyday tools really do become part of ourselves.

The findings come from a deceptively simple study of people using a computer mouse rigged to malfunction. The resulting disruption in attention wasn’t superficial. It seemingly extended to the very roots of cognition.

“The person and the various parts of their brain and the mouse and the monitor are so tightly intertwined that they’re just one thing,” said Anthony Chemero, a cognitive scientist at Franklin & Marshall College. “The tool isn’t separate from you. It’s part of you.”.

Link
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Your Computer Really Is a Part of You
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »
And it took this long for scientists to figure that out?  ::)

Does that mean we can catch malware and my PC can get swine-flu? Oh the humanity...

talldude123

Rookie

• I enjoy computers as well as public transit.
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »
    Well...with me, first thing I do when I get up is check my computer..I care more about my computer than myself!!
    Woman - "Slow down, foreplay is an art"
    Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

cosmonut

Rookie
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:52 AM »
      I can beleive it. If you extend 'computer' to include game console... watched a friend who had to stand up to acheive the necessary contortions to get through a level of tomb raider. giggle!