Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 56K help  (Read 2391 times)

thephantomtwo

Topic Starter

56K help
    « on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
    I'm getting a error code when I dial out saying I have no dail tone but I definately have dail tone,you can hear it when it tries to dail ou,it just doesn't seem to connect for some odd reason.The computer is less than 6 months old.

Gremlin

Beginner

Re: 56K help
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:09:55 AM »
      If you could post the error code that wud be handy but here is the Microsoft Knowledgebase article on dealing with your problem in xp but it might be similar to Vista, post the error message if you can mate.

thephantomtwo

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
        The error code is 680,no dail tone,but when you try and connect,you clearly have a dail tone that is clear as glass,I've done everything I could with my limited knowledge of the modem system,I've un-installed and re-installed,did a diagnostic as well.

We did have lighting in the area yesterday so I'm beginning to believe that some stray voltage may have shot up the line and frazzled the modem,but nothing else was touched though.

My computer is a HP s5107c desktop running Windows Vista with service pack 1,the modem is a Agere Systems PCI-SV92EX Soft Modem.

I'm going to shop for modems just in case! :D

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »
          Sorry, forgot to post the link. Here it is.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326681

Yep Ive lost a couple of modems via lightning storms.