Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unique Disk ID change for Windows Home Server  (Read 23170 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Unique Disk ID change for Windows Home Server
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
Looking for a way to change my Unique Disk ID on a cloned drive to match the original to fix a stupid problem with Windows Home Server where the Unique Disk ID has to match or Home Server Breaks.

The Unique ID of the 80GB Drive running happily with Home Server is A4E19DC0
and the Unique ID of the 160GB Drive that boots Home Server, but complains about issues is ID 49AF49AF.

Windows Home Server's DiskPart utility is version 5.2.3790.3959 and I have seen where version 6.0.6002 has a Uniqueid disk id=A4E19DC0 feature to change the 49AF49AF to A4E19DC0, BUT I do not have Diskpart version 6.0.6002 available.

Does anyone know how I can change this with version 5.2.3790.3959 or some other utility. Below is a screen shot of the issue. *This is different than the Volume ID which would be xxxx-xxxx in which C: and D: have a Hex Volume ID.

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Unique Disk ID change for Windows Home Server
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
Thanks Allan for your suggestion...however it appears that it is no longer available as per.... NewSID has been retired and is no longer available for download. Please see Mark Russinovich’s blog post:

I am guessing that Maybe MS may have been involved in pulling it off the web.

* Update is that since my last post i was able to use a laptop running Windows 7 Home which has Diskpart version 6.x.xxxx and it has UniqueID command. I then attached my hard drive as an external and got to it via these commands

C:\>diskpart
Diskpart> select disk 1
Diskpart> uniqueID disk id=a4e19dc0
Diskpart> detail disk
*which displayed that it took the change from 49af49af to a4e19dc0
Diskpart> exit
C:\>

So i was able to finally get the Unique ID changed. I then booted up MS Home Server and half the problem was gone. That is it believed that the original hard drive was now attached so the majority of the errors were gone, BUT it still had errors in which it appears that the database of MS Home Server was malfunctioning.

I then attempted to perform a repair installation to fix this since the Database Repair tool in MS Home Server didnt fix it even after reboot, and after the repair installation I was back to square 1 in which I found out that Windows changes this UID when it installs the GUI on Hard Drives and now the UID was 89c089c0 and all the original problems were back where it sees the 160GB drive and shows the 80GB drive as MISSING.

So after wasting 6 hrs on this ripping my hair out I took a break from this madness. I find it rather frustrating that you cant create a recovery backup image of a this server to use in case you actually have to recover it.

So I guess the original issue of changing the UID of the HD has been resolved and now I just need to give MS Tech Support a call to see if they have a clue as to how to implement a backup deployment strategy with MS Home Server.

I have used Ghost 2003 for every MS OS and this is the only OS Yet to PUKE on Cloning Drives due to a design by MS that causes the Cloned Copy to Fail. Windows 7 was even able to be cloned as well as Server 2003 at my workplace.

ConradEbel

Re: Unique Disk ID change for Windows Home Server
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
Yikes!  What was your final solution?  Any luck with this?  Sent you an email as well.

Thanks!

Conrad