Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 as an option?  (Read 14802 times)

netnerdnerd9

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows 7 as an option?
    « on: March 12, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »
    Hey guys I need your input PLEASE. I am thinking of changing to windows 7?

Could someone please let me know how they find windows 7 and if they think it is a good move

My vista is getting a bit old and irritating now :) Time for a change  8)

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows 7 as an option?
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:25:40 AM »
    Windows XP SP3 is the most stable, fastest for gaming of the Microsoft OS.

Windows 7 Ultimate is a great option, not as fast as WinXP SP3 but uses DirectX10+ and more media, effects.

Win7 is basically Vista, with all the bugs and crap removed from it.
    Throw Vista out the window, seriously it is a memory hog and the worst of the three.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »
    All four of those are false.

Windows XP SP3 is the most stable, fastest for gaming of the Microsoft OS.
    It's none of those things. If you ask anybody when XP was released windows 98 was more stable. and it was faster for gaming. What the *censored* changed in the time frame since then? Oh, yeah, XP is no longer the latest one so it's no longer "slow and dopey" as was commonly said.

Windows 7 Ultimate is a great option, not as fast as WinXP SP3 but uses DirectX10+ and more media, effects.
    And neither one compares to windows 95 in speed today. What's your point?

If you even NOTICE a slowdown with windows 7 as compared to windows XP, then your hardware is too old to handle windows 7. end of story.

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY sick of hearing this.

People say "bugs" and "crap" but they can name neither. they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about half the time. What bugs? what crap? Citations please.

Throw Vista out the window, seriously it is a memory hog and the worst of the three.

Right now, guess what's using more then 5 times as much RAM as anything other then superfetch. It's not explorer. it's not anything that is part of windows.

it's firefox.

Should I dump firefox based on the fact that it consumes more memory then Internet Explorer or Opera? No.

Additionally, None of the memory management was changed between NT 6 and NT 6.1. anybody who says so is talking out their *censored*.

Anyway, I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Vista on my desktop and honestly there is nothing notable about windows 7. most of the enhancements are little "hey, neat" things, like dragging windows to the top of the screen maximizes them, and dragging to the side tiles, etc. I guess it really depends how much you'd have to pay for it.

Honestly? I find the differences between Windows 3.0 and 3.1 a *censored* of a lot more noticeable then the differences between Vista and 7.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »
    Good post BC :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »
    Most people who bash Vista used it for 2 weeks or less...
    Or were asked to fix a Vista machine and quickly realised they didn't know as much as they think they did...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:57 AM »
    I happened to have all three OS on separate desktops/laptop, WinXP SP3, Vista Home, and Win7 Ultimate. Vista use to be on the i7 Core, best specs, and the other two performed better (for gaming benchmarks). I have not bench them together as they are different specs, but did swap them over at one point.

None of the computers have had a crash or freeze except for Vista (due to compatiblity issues).

But don't believe me, go read some reviews comparing the three, go look at the benchmarks.

For example:
    http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

WinXP is clearly faster than the three, specially for gaming.
    Win7 started off the slowest, but improving and uses less memory. Has better support for newer technologies.
    Vista is more media, but Win7 is basically a patched version of Vista, they have taken feedback from Vista and removed what people hated so much about it. Vista Service Pack has fixed some of the problems, but still major issues.

I didn't compare the older OS because not many people would go for those options as they are discontinued and not supported. If you want the best OS, it could be even Linux depending on what you are wanting out of your computer.

Microsoft is actually trying to discontinue XP in the future and have people on Vista upgrade to Win7...

If you are really really sick of hearing Vista is utter crap, you either don't care about performance or haven't tried Win7 (which is a cleaner version of their mess up)!
    Aaron's Game Zone

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:46 AM »
    I happened to have all three OS on separate desktops/laptop, WinXP SP3, Vista Home, and Win7 Ultimate.
    Yes. that's nice. I have a number of Operating Systems on different systems ranging from Windows 3.1 to Slackware 13. I didn't mention that because it has absolutely nothing to do with anything here.

None of the computers have had a crash or freeze except for Vista (due to compatiblity issues).
    Ahh, what a extensive empirical testing! "I oosed a few operating systems on diffrt hardware and they behaved diffret must hav bin dee operation systeem" (misspellings added for comedic effect)

But don't believe me

had no intention of doing so.
    go read some reviews comparing the three, go look at the benchmarks.

*censored*?

Oh, yes, my computer running Vista now has an consecutive uptime of ~1050 hours, but no, that means absolutely nothing! Vista is unstable and crappy because these review sites say so, even if my experience tells me otherwise.

benchmarking tools are completely trivial and meaningless. Especially in this case. You'll note that the program is running on Windows XP 32-bit.

Notable? yes.

This means that the 64-bit windows versions are running the 32-bit benchmarking tool. obviously the writer is unaware that On 64-bit windows, all 32-bit programs run in a penalty box which virtualizes everything again. so the 64-bit windows benchmarks are WRONG, and I suspect the author is fully aware of this, actually. Now, the benchmarks are accurate for 32-bit games- at least partially- but most games nowadays also have 64-bit versions, and I know for a fact that my copy of crysis runs a lot faster with the 64-bit executable then the 32-bit executable. I also don't see how a analysis omitting an entire architecture point can still be regarded as any sort of evidence to anything. The author is just a crafty git who knows his readership (people such as yourself) are simply unaware of these things. The reason is simple- it's a lot easier to criticize something old that people are familiar with then something new that they are not.

"but Win7 is basically a patched version of Vista, they have taken feedback from Vista and removed what people hated so much about it".... "but still major issues".
    And yet you still provide no actual citations of these things that "people hated" and the "major issues" that are still present that were fixed in Vista.

I didn't compare the older OS because not many people would go for those options as they are discontinued and not supported.
    Windows XP isn't supported either. Which should come as no surprise. it was released 9 years ago. And you know what people were saying 9 years ago?

EXACTLY... and I'm not even exaggerating- replace the technology names, and the OS names in a 10 year old XP review and you've got a Vista review and vice versa.

Microsoft is actually trying to discontinue XP in the future
    Yeah, it's called a "product lifecycle" you might want to look it up sometime. And XP is far from the only product to get a extension on it's supported lifespan, so did windows 98SE. And you know what? "In the future" they will discontinue Windows Vista and Windows 7! hardly reasons not to use them now.

and have people on Vista upgrade to Win7...
    yeah! and you know what happened when they released windows 3.1, even though it was nearly the same as 3.0 in many ways?

They said people should upgrade! It's almost like- oh, I dunno- they're a company that wants you to buy their product! Dear gawd! It's a revelation!

If you are really really sick of hearing Vista is utter crap, you either don't care about performance or haven't tried Win7 (which is a cleaner version of their mess up)!

perhaps you should read my post, namely the area where I note SPECIFICALLY my experience with windows 7:

Anyway, I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Vista on my desktop and honestly there is nothing notable about windows 7. most of the enhancements are little "hey, neat" things, like dragging windows to the top of the screen maximizes them, and dragging to the side tiles, etc. I guess it really depends how much you'd have to pay for it.

Another interesting "argument" that comes up is that "Windows 7 is totally different" and they base that claim Solely on the changed UI of the included applets.

I've noted this before, but calc.exe was completely rewritten for windows 2000- the calculation engine was completely revamped. Nobody cared. The program ran better but it didn't look better, so nobody gave a *censored*. Basically this is a case of people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about once again making vast hand-wavy generalizations based on what they see rather then actually researching the history of the applets themselves. You see- this is important, but when you don't change the insides, nobody notices.

And even when you follow that tenet, you notice discrepancies. For one thing- why was nobody tripping over themselves with happiness when Vista allowed command prompt windows to be themed, when XP did not? Why did nobody care?

Also, the biggest things people complain about are UI changes- the office ribbon, for example. or Aero- or Luna before that. They don't complain because it's inferior, they complain because it's different, any reasons they give are contrived. They can easily say "it reduces performance" but when your PC is adequate, neither Luna nor Aero have much of a performance impact at all. it's completely fabricated fodder based entirely on their own biassed perceptions. If somebody uses an OS they hate, they are going to notice things they dislike a *censored* of a lot easier then things that they do like, and whenever they find something they do like they will always rationalize it away somehow.

Anyway- I like windows 7, it's good. But it is by no means this "magical panacea" that fixed windows Vista's "bugs".

Which brings up, yet again, this issue of people simply saying "X is full of bugs". If I say your face is made of cheese, or that the world is square, does t hat make it true? No, I'd need a sampling of your nose Gouda or an analysis of vertices to prove it. This is called "evidence" and is presented when trying to "make a point" making meaningless generalizations merely reinforces the fact that you really don't know what your talking about and all your doing is regurgitating stuff you read elsewhere. Additionally, even if said bugs exist, we are of course forgetting that Windows XP, even after three service packs, still has bugs as well. Why don't these count? is XP somehow exempt from an attempt at contempt? XP has a heck of a lot more showstoppers then Windows Vista.

Oh hey, let's run some queries with ol' google!

Code: [Select]
    site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "Windows XP"

hits:

site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "Windows Vista"

What's this? less then HALF the KB articles?

Windows 7 gives 196 for a similar query.

Additionally, most of these bugs are fixed. but XP was never this bugless wonder that people insist on making it out to be.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:05:22 PM »
    Those have to be some of the finest posts I've seen so far on Windows 7 and the sickly attitude of those dogs that go around talking about 'vista but without the bugs'.  Want Vista but without the bugs?  Get Vista SP2, because that's the closest you're gonna get, and most of any 'bugs' to speak of no longer bother me in SP2, so it has to be reasonably 'bug-free'.

Really I give credit to BC_Programmer for the brilliant posts, but BC; what's this all about:

Oh hey, let's run some queries with ol' google!

site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "Windows XP"

hits:

site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "Windows Vista"

What's this? less then HALF the KB articles?

Windows 7 gives 196 for a similar query.

Additionally, most of these bugs are fixed. but XP was never this bugless wonder that people insist on making it out to be.

Erm, XP came out in 2001, Vista in 2007, and 7 in 2009.  So that's 9 years of XP, 3 years of Vista, and about half a year of 7 to document bugs.  If you look at the dates you'll see that most of XP's bugs were written reasonably evenly spread over 2001-2007, that's a period of 6 years.  I think the reason there are less bugs in the db for Vista and 7 is partly down to the fact that they certainly haven't documented most 'bugs' yet; they haven't had the time.

Another reason I'm not keen on this evidence is that it was provided by Microsoft.  Microsoft were very likely to tone down the number of bugs by writing less articles about problems, especially since even with XP it was rare your problem was documented, it just sat there making MS looking bad.

The worst part is that the search terms are pretty bad, try searching for just 'XP' and 'Vista', rather than 'Microsoft XP' and 'Microsoft Vista' and you'll get VERY different results:

site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "Vista"
    about 9,170 hits

site:support.microsoft.com "BUG:" + "XP"
    about 3,240 hits, and most of these are for software with 'XP' in the name (Media Player XP, Office XP, etc.)

So it turns out MS has actually documented loads of bugs to do with Vista!

Oh, and no, I didn't do a search for '7', for obvious reasons...  ;D

I agree with what you're saying BC, but that just isn't a very good way of showing 'bugs'.  Actually, I don't think there is one that would be very reliable.    :-\

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
    I was running out of idea at that point in the post.

there are a million other reasons it doesn't count bugs; it will pick up windows 98SE or 2000 bugs that say "this issue was fixed in windows XP" and so forth. Really all it said is that XP is older then the other two.

windows 98 brings up 2,080, heh, 95 gives 3 thousands something.

windows 3.1 only gives a few hundred, for some reason, but I know that's wrong because my MSDN discs from Apr 2000 have at least 600 pages of BUG: entries for it.

Microsoft were very likely to tone down the number of bugs by writing less articles about problems, especially since even with XP it was rare your problem was documented,

because the problem was almost never with windows itself in those cases. I think they had some sort of minimum amount of people that encountered the bug, then they would post a article. There are some pretty esoteric ones on there, that's for sure.

Additionally, there are even BUG: entries for non MS applications. Because people were phoning MS "d00d, yur OS is crashin Lotus Notes"
    In any case- my main point was of course that XP wasn't any more bug free then Windows Vista or 7; the main reason people have a strong preference for it is simply because it's familar.

Get Vista SP2, because that's the closest you're gonna get, and most of any 'bugs' to speak of no longer bother me in SP2, so it has to be reasonably 'bug-free'.

Yep, I've never used Vista RTM myself, it had a number of issues. Although if memory serves the XP RTM was no better. Windows 7's RTM is probably something like a "SP1" because of the public beta (that is, most RTM type bugs are fixed).

The main thing that pisses me off is that as evidence they will say something like "but my second cousin's best friend's dog's previous owner's Stepdaughter's old boyfriend used Vista and it crashed all the time!" as some sort of evidence that Vista is buggy. It's like their trying to prove that Vista sucks just based on that whole "6 degrees of separation" rule.

Anyways, regarding the original question- it really depends how much you have to pay for it. All you'll see in Windows 7 compared to Vista are a few UI features, and unless you do a clean install any "slowness" you're experience will almost certainly remain after an upgrade.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:18 PM »
    Loved the informative posts as always BC, I for one have Vista and the only 'bugs' I have are ones I have created myself by accident.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »
    I've had no bugs at all in Vista and I have it with about 3 years. I have however had a few freezes here and there with Windows 7.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
    disregard

talldude123

Rookie

• I enjoy computers as well as public transit.
      « Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
      Regarding the second post, I find that Windows XP SP3 is actually slower than Windows 7. If I could; I would use Windows 7 on my old laptop (Athlon 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD). It's really speedy on it, I just can't find drivers for Windows 7 with such an old computer. HP doesn't support it. But Windows 7, any version except starter, is a very good choice for almost any computer, providing you can find drivers.
      Woman - "Slow down, foreplay is an art"
      Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »

Grrrr, I hate this crap about 'memory hogging'.  I'm sorry but when my computer boots I give ownership of the RAM over to the OS (who else is gonna use it?).  Vista is far more efficient with RAM, and as long as you have 1GB+ (which today most computers have) you won't experience constant Page File Writing and general memory lag.  Vista uses a lot more RAM than XP, yes, so what?  Take a look at the RAM requirements for all Windows OSs, and then you'll get the idea of the trend of what is to be expected if you don't underrstand the concept.  I know certain games and programs use lots of RAM too, but this isn't an issue if you have 2GB+ of RAM (or 3GB+, depending on what you're playing).  To be fair, if you have a computer with 1GB of RAM running Vista, it's not the best setup for running games.  It might have worked with XP, so here's the choice plain and simple for people with low RAM: Vista or Games, not both.

I happened to have all three OS on separate desktops/laptop, WinXP SP3, Vista Home, and Win7 Ultimate. Vista use to be on the i7 Core, best specs, and the other two performed better (for gaming benchmarks). I have not bench them together as they are different specs, but did swap them over at one point.

But don't believe me, go read some reviews comparing the three, go look at the benchmarks.

For example:

Win7 started off the slowest, but improving and uses less memory. Has better support for newer technologies.
      Vista is more media, but Win7 is basically a patched version of Vista, they have taken feedback from Vista and removed what people hated so much about it. Vista Service Pack has fixed some of the problems, but still major issues.

I didn't compare the older OS because not many people would go for those options as they are discontinued and not supported. If you want the best OS, it could be even Linux depending on what you are wanting out of your computer.

Microsoft is actually trying to discontinue XP in the future and have people on Vista upgrade to Win7...

This whole thing is nonsense.  "But don't believe me," don't worry I won't. :P

Of all the things that won't help you know how well your computer performs, benchmarking is no. 2 on the list, right after Windows Experiance Index which gets no. 1 on that list anyday.

Why is that important?  All computers can crash or freeze, no matter how good the set-up.

For example:

Come on now, benchmarks are like IQ tests; they have nothing to do with the price of eggs.

A good analysis would show you that actually they all perform better under different conditions in terms of gaming.

XP favours single x86 processors and older games.
      Vista was the best at running DX10 games until Win 7 came along, but it plays late-XP period games the fastest for some reason.  It also runs a lot of games designed specifically for Vista fastest (but that really speaks for itself).
      Windows 7 is probably the best for x64 processors (with x64 OS installed, obviously).  I'd also go so far as to say it's the fastest for the latest games, and DX10 especially.
      Both Vista and 7 work better with multiple processors/cores.

Well yeah, what do you think happened to all the other Windows OSs?

To be fair, I think BC knows quite a bit more about 'Performance' and Windows 7 than you do, because of the stuff you've been going on about benchmarking and the way you seem to think Windows 7 works. I don't think you understand either very well at all.

because the problem was almost never with windows itself in those cases. I think they had some sort of minimum amount of people that encountered the bug, then they would post a article. There are some pretty esoteric ones on there, that's for sure.

I'm not so sure, I've had loads of probs with XP (the actual OS) in the past and there's never anything useful for it in the KB or anywhere on MS.com, I'm sure that part of that's to do with just plain bad luck, but MS has always been quite two-faced with 'support'; 'helping' on one side, but generally ignoring and only caring about $ on the other.  In fact, MS is just plain awful with support, and I think pretty much everyone can vouch for that in some form.

my main point was of course that XP wasn't any more bug free then Windows Vista or 7; the main reason people have a strong preference for it is simply because it's familar.

100% agreement.

Windows 7's RTM is probably something like a "SP1" because of the public beta (that is, most RTM type bugs are fixed).

Too true, it's the only reason I didn't wait longer to get Windows 7.

The main thing that pisses me off is that as evidence they will say something like "but my second cousin's best friend's dog's previous owner's Stepdaughter's old boyfriend used Vista and it crashed all the time!" as some sort of evidence that Vista is buggy. It's like their trying to prove that Vista sucks just based on that whole "6 degrees of separation" rule.

Personally I'm tired of explaining why Vista isn't *censored* to people who want Win 7, it's hard to prove it's not *censored* because I'm arguing against constant untrue axioms and general lies.

Anyways, regarding the original question- it really depends how much you have to pay for it. All you'll see in Windows 7 compared to Vista are a few UI features, and unless you do a clean install any "slowness" you're experience will almost certainly remain after an upgrade.

I don't think it's worth the hassle netnerd, I think you'll find that there just aren't enough advantages for Windows 7 for it to be worth all the work, because installing a new OS is always a ton of work.  Partitions, drivers, and getting used to the new *censored* thing, as well as reinstalling all your old programs (because upgrading is never going to be worth it).  Please heed my advice and don't install Windows 7, it's only going to cause undue hassle.

Mulreay

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
      Anyone else getting a real sense of deja vu?  :-\

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
      All over again...as Yogi would say.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
      disregard
      disregard what, kpac's post preceding yours?  Why?  I bought a laptop with Vista in July 2007 and, like kpac, I've experienced no bugs with it.

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
      disregard what, kpac's post preceding yours?  Why?  I bought a laptop with Vista in July 2007 and, like kpac, I've experienced no bugs with it.

I think he posted a message then, changed his mind and modified it to say 'disregard'. I have done similar things myself.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
      I think he posted a message then, changed his mind and modified it to say 'disregard'. I have done similar things myself.
      Correct. I started to post something and decided there was more than enough in this thread already ;)

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 07:09:59 PM »
      Wow, I'm truely amazed how bios people are for their beloved Microsoft crap... first of all, all OS will have problems. You are ignoring the facts, if you don't care, then don't care Vista is a memory hog, etc. All people do is argue on this forum rather than helping the person out, it's really funny and quite stupid.

The original question was is it worth upgrading to Win7, and yeah if using Vista it is, you don't lose anything Vista had (media, pretty effects, graphics) and you gain soo much more. But as for gaming performance, WinXP is actually still the leader (screw the effects over performance). I regreted upgrading WinXP to Win7 at first, lose framerate on Left 4 Dead as well as other games and wished I kept it (and I do have one computer still using it). As for Vista I highly recommend the upgrade to Win7. It might have improved with the service packs, updates, etc, but it's still nothing over the upgrade to Win7.

I guess a lot of you guys are geeky Microsoft freaks just using your Microsoft Word and spreadsheets, while I'm a hardcore gamer with the latest games on maxed out graphics and still wanting and getting a frame rate of at least 60+. So we think a bit different.

Like Allan also has to say 'disregard' the kid and listen to the genius. Oh wait he didn't say anything else...  ;D
      Aaron's Game Zone

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
      I guess a lot of you guys are geeky Microsoft freaks just using your Microsoft Word and spreadsheets, while I'm a hardcore gamer with the latest games on maxed out graphics and still wanting and getting a frame rate of at least 60+. So we think a bit different.
      While I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore game, I do play a lot of games. And Windows 7 is definitely the leader for me when it comes to games.

You are ignoring the facts, if you don't care, then don't care Vista is a memory hog, etc.
      There are no facts here. If you have the hardware to run Vista then you're not going to notice any lagging are you? The Windows OS is getting more and more advanced with effects and so on and it's quite obvious you're going to need better hardware to run it. Hardware is getting better and so is Windows. That's called a trend. Look it up.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 06:47:05 AM »
      Wow, I'm truely amazed how bios people are for their beloved Microsoft crap... first of all, all OS will have problems.
      Like Allan also has to say 'disregard' the kid and listen to the genius. Oh wait he didn't say anything else...  ;D
      I realize you can't help being ignorant, but do you really need to advertise it to the whole world?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
      first of all, all OS will have problems.
      Nobody stated otherwise.

You are ignoring the facts,

No I'm not. In fact I stated them repeatedly.

if you don't care, then don't care Vista is a memory hog

And you continue to simply say "X is Y" without actually providing any facts that back it up! Who's ignoring the facts now?

All people do is argue on this forum rather than helping the person out, it's really funny and quite stupid.

"I can't win this argument, so let's pretend my original post wasn't flamebait to begin with!" Excellent strategy.

The original question was is it worth upgrading to Win7, and yeah if using Vista it is, you don't lose anything Vista had (media, pretty effects, graphics)
      Again, that depends. If they REALLY want an improvement, they would need to do a clean install. In which case, as Veltas said, it wouldn't even be worth the hassle.

But as for gaming performance, WinXP is actually still the leader (screw the effects over performance).

Windows Aero is shut off when a full screen game is running. The only thing "running" as far as effects is the luna engine. OF course if your running intense 3d games in a window- like fallout 3 or Crysis or so forth, then you will see an impact, but a "hardcore gamer" isn't going to do so anyway. And if a lesser game (on the level of, say, "pinball") slows down due to aero, it's a graphics card problem.

I regreted upgrading WinXP to Win7 at first,

I regretted upgrading from windows 98SE to XP at first too. That's beside the point though.

It might have improved with the service packs, updates, etc, but it's still nothing over the upgrade to Win7.
      you CONTINUE to miss the point.

I've provided facts, and refuted your specious claims with facts, and yet you continue to spout the same repetitive meaningless gibberish. As I said, Of course windows 7 will have improvements, but as far as I'm concerned, it's like comparing windows 98 to windows 98SE. it's a nice new body kit on the same old frame. Your claims imply that Windows 7 is some kind of complete rewrite, which is simply not true.

guess a lot of you guys are geeky Microsoft freaks just using your Microsoft Word and spreadsheets, while I'm a hardcore gamer with the latest games on maxed out graphics and still wanting and getting a frame rate of at least 60+. So we think a bit different.
      Yes. All microsoft freaks use Slackware 13. I don't even think I... oh wait, I do have office installed. OTOH, I use editpadpro more! (yeah JGSoft!). Only touch Excel to help people on this forum with it. Your second point has several flaws. First, the main things that determine the speed of a game with a proper system is simply the graphics card, and it's drivers. The various interoperations between user mode code and kernel mode code in windows vista and windows 7 are the same; therefore to somehow claim that windows 7 abilities in this area are different are untrue. While it is certainly possible that the Drivers for such graphics cards included with windows 7 are better then the equivalent driver from Windows Vista, a hardcore gamer doesn't use the OS included drivers, so that's not an issue. In fact, a "hardcore gamer" isn't going to be using the Aero Theme at all, since they want "maximum performance" for their games, and in most cases "hardcore gamers" ignore the fact that Aero Glass is disabled when you run games.

personally, I used to be a hardcore gamer (back in the day with consoles :P) but I realized that there are things in this world more important then saved games.

Allan quite aptly covered this point.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
      All you want is facts proof, which I have lots of benchmarks and performance tests of all three, just do a friggen google search if you want proof. But you said they are all useless? hah, how else do you guys compare?

I like Vista because it is pretty and treats the user as a complete noob is basically the only thing you can say. You guys give no proof it's any better. Yet you bark at me! saying it's meaningless gibberish, lol! I laugh at you all dead set in your ways!

You say WinXP has more errors and try to prove with a little google search. More users use WinXP, it's been around longer, it has more services pack fixing the past issues. Of course there would be more reports. Companys have even spent an extra $60 to downgrade their new computer purchases from Vista to XP. People willing to spend money on a downgrade, lol, doesn't that say something?

Windows 7 uses less RAM and disk space than Vista. As you can see, on this low-resource configuration Windows 7 uses dramatically less RAM than Vista, and also has a smaller hard-disk footprint. WinXP uses even less than either. Windows 7 has the same requirments as xp, while vista had complaints about hardware limitations

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22381-512mb-ram-performance-comparison-windows-7-vs-vista-vs-xp/

Go to some real forums and read the facts.
      This forum is full of bios newbies and I would expect better from the mods comon! Brainwashed from doing too many 'i love you' microsoft courses.

You say, my claims imply that Windows 7 is some kind of complete rewrite, which is simply not true? It was spos to be!

Windows 7 is like the anti-Vista. It started development before and at the same time time Vista was, as a follow up to WinXP. There are lots of under-the-hood changes, it was spos to be a complete rewrite from the core up but then Microsoft screwed it over adding some Vista into it. Then again Vista is built from Win95 code, it must be awesome to re-use things and save on money.  >:(

http://gizmodo.com/5070219/giz-explains-why-windows-7-will-smash-vista

Whether you’re coming from XP or Vista, Windows 7 offers a massive leap forward in usability, security, and support for new hardware and technology, especially for enthusiasts and power users. For anyone who regularly keeps many windows open at once time, the new Taskbar is worth the price of admission alone. For XP users, the security improvements are equally worthy of praise, while Vista users will be thrilled with the much improved, much less annoying UAC. Add in support for new hardware technologies, more new features, and the kernel improvements that should allow you to get more from your multi-core CPU, and Windows 7 becomes a tidy, compelling package to all Windows users.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review

I couldn't care less what you pick, but he did ask for peoples help so I offered an unbios answer since I have used all three in the past.

Here's unbios (for all you Vista lovers):
      Using 3D Mark performance tester, XP won hands down, awww, but then Vista came second in speed, omg wow omg omg! Win7 was third, kill it, kill it! ... when it was still the beta stages.

I was using the same hardware for testing (I use in-game framerate, memory, performance monitoring tools from my motherboard software), but sure... Vista works fine, just spend a few $1000 more on your hardware for the same performance. Anything works great on a i7 core, 12GB, 1TB beast, we don't need to care if it's crappy code.  ::)

I could list a million different sites and forums that provide advance testings and performance monitoring... sure these could be unrelible and bios but 89% all say the same thing and I've done the tests myself. So tell me it's all wrong and should be ignored.  :o

The only issue I see here is paying Microsoft more cash for Win7 Ultimate. :(
      Half of you probably have the pirated version (with a stealth virus in it since you don't believe in using anti-virus scanners either, hint, hint, someone) or the old beta and can't update or use it smoothly.

laterz :P
      « Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:37:14 PM by Azzaboi »
      Aaron's Game Zone

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
      The word is biased, not bios.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 05:46:10 PM »
      I failed at my english grammer, lol.
      Aaron's Game Zone

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 05:47:23 PM »
      Maybe he meant biosed?
      biosed is a simple sequence editing utility that searches for a target subsequence in one or more input sequences and replaces it with a specified second subsequence (or optionally just deletes the found target subsequence).

Has anyone really predicted just how soon everybody
      will just fall in love with Windows 7 and  will forget Vista?   :rofl:
      http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=1659
      The link is a year old But here is a memorable quote:
      But Windows 7, being very similar in aesthetic design to Windows Vista, has an extraordinary difference, being that is leaves a reduced memory footprint and uses less hard drive space.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »
      All you want is facts proof, which I have lots of benchmarks and performance tests of all three, just do a friggen google search if you want proof. But you said they are all useless? hah, how else do you guys compare?

ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?

Smart people compare by USING the product, not by accepting reviews, the one which you've linked so far I've already disproved as technically inaccurate, as some sort of holy guidebook.

I like Vista because it is pretty and treats the user as a complete noob is basically the only thing you can say.

Yeah, that makes sense. Nobody said that, I said a lot else, but nope, that's all I can say.

Additionally, All versions of windows are customizable. For example, showing hidden files and folders are not something new users would like. Nor would they enjoy being called "noobs" just because they don't play Call of duty or whatever for 8 hours a day.

You guys give no proof it's any better.

I already did. several times. I use both windows Vista and Windows 7 and the differences are largely asthetic. That's proof from experience not meaningless quotes from biased and technologically false reviews.

Yet you bark at me! saying it's meaningless gibberish, lol! I laugh at you all dead set in your ways!
      I laugh at your lack of reading comprehension. But then I feel bad for mocking the less fortunate.

You say WinXP has more errors and try to prove with a little google search.

That was several posts ago. If you look closely, you'll notice that even I refute that statement. the intention was not met by those particular morsels.

More users use WinXP
      This is pure speculation. And it's completely untrue. Make the "use" into "used" though would make it true.

it's been around longer, it has more services pack fixing the past issues. Of course there would be more reports.
      Yes. That's what me and Ventas already said. You fail, once again, at reading.

Companys have even spent an extra $60 to downgrade their new computer purchases from Vista to XP. People willing to spend money on a downgrade,

OK, this is ANOTHER technically fallacious. First off, these are companies not individuals. The The most important thing to them is how much the upgrade costs as opposed to what it brings the cost of an upgrade from one version of windows to another, regardless of version, represents a huge investment of time and money as the companies IT staff needs to be retrained for the new OS, internal applications probably need to be rewritten to run on the new Operating System, and sometimes the entire architecture needs to be rebuilt. There are still plenty of companies running with Windows NT 4 Server, that doesn't mean that Windows NT4 is better then Windows 2000 or XP, it simply means that the cost of upgrading from Windows NT to a later version is not worth the cost- and the NT 4 version <works>. The same thing is true today, as with any version, there is a difference in that Windows XP was active for the longest period of time of any windows Version. Therefore, far more companies have established their IT infrastructure on the XP OS. Additionally, from a business perspective, Windows Vista doesn't offer anything productive, and it costs the company loads of cash to retrain their staff on a new OS. It's rather foolish to say that one OS is worse then another based simply on the fact that a company is trying to save money as any sane company would do.

Windows 7 uses less RAM and disk space than Vista.
      Disk space: perhaps. but the 5 GB difference between by desktop (Vista) and Laptop (7) is hardly notable compared to the total size of the drives. Additionally, you continue to blather on about how windows 7 uses less RAM. it doesn't. so shut up about it unless you can prove it somehow.

First- the increased Memory consumption of Windows Vista compared to XP is due to Superfetch, which is in and of itself an improvement in spades on the "prefetch" technologies used by XP. Windows 7 still uses Superfetch, but because so many people whine and complain, Microsoft reduced the aggressiveness of SuperFetch in windows 7, or so it seems from my experience (this is notable, since I didn't quote some random joker off the internet from an equally random and inconsequential blog) I find it leaves a lot more memory unused. Right now my laptop sits with over a GB of free RAM
      This seems good, to a person who has no idea. free memory is wasted memory. my desktop has 8GB and according to task manager 15MB of that is "free". However, if I start any application, they don't get memory errors, since Superfetch is holding 6GB of memory and caching commonly used data, and simply releases it when required, allowing older pages to fall back to the pagefile (or just deleted, depends what the resource is)

on this low-resource configuration Windows 7 uses dramatically less RAM than Vista, and also has a smaller hard-disk footprint.
      All I see is a meaningless wall of text that I have to decipher into managable chunks lest I overdose on ignorance.

First, you make no definition of the word "used". Again, free RAM is wasted RAM. it juts sits there. if I was running XP (64-bit) on this machine, I'd have around 6 or 7GB of memory "free" and only 1GB "used". But what the *censored* did I pay for 7 other GB of RAM for if it isn't used at all? At least Vista/7 Use this RAM, and Vista (and 7 with a few tweakems) actually use all this wasted memory for something useful, like caching frequently used data. Something Linux has been doing for quite some time, actually. LOOOONG before Vista. Nobody said Linux was a memory hog then so I doubt the same can be said of either Vista or 7; certainly Vista has higher memory requirements, but the main reason 7 has a lower requisite is merely due to the changing of a few default settings, and of course standard incremental optimization.

WinXP uses even less than either. Windows 7 has the same requirments as xp, while vista had complaints about hardware limitations
      WinXP uses less then either, yes. something I proved as simply wasteful in my previous paragraph. Windows 7 has the same requirements but requirements are meaningless anyway and anybody who actually uses them is a fool. Windows 7 does not have the same requirements as XP, either. This you just invented on the spot- XP can run with 64MB of RAM. Windows 7 cannot. XP can run with a K6-2; Windows 7... well, actually I dunno if it can run on that machine. It certainly won't be as speedy as windows XP on it. (if it works at all)

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22381-512mb-ram-performance-comparison-windows-7-vs-vista-vs-xp/
      Go to some real forums and read the facts.
      one second you're saying your a hardcore gamer and Windows 7 is faster for your gaming, the next your saying it's better with a minimum configuration. The latter is true; the former is false. Windows 7 is optimized for netbooks, so it can run better with any low configuration. This mostly as a result of a different default configuration. Windows Vista can have it's config changed in the same way. For example, a default Vista install installs Windows sidebar *shudder*. This probably accounts for the difference in RAM usage for most people (aside from of course the whole "we better leave a huge chunk of RAM unused by superfetch, otherwise dumbasses will think that it's a memory hog!) This doesn't translate into better performance with more memory installed, it simply means MS added a few more tweaks when it finds it's running on a slow machine. (actually, I think they may have redefined the SM_SLOWMACHINE constant to return "true" for higher configurations, but that's purely conjecture. It would make sense, though, and certainly speed up any program that checks that metric.

This forum is full of bios newbies and I would expect better from the mods comon! Brainwashed from doing too many 'i love you' microsoft courses.

I haven't taken any Microsoft courses. Somehow I believe the MS courses you've taken aren't actually legitimate courses but rather episodes of Barney. Not sure how you can confuse a dry technical supervisor with a giant purple dinosaur, but peopel do some freaky things on drugs, like use a mac.

You say, my claims imply that Windows 7 is some kind of complete rewrite, which is simply not true? It was spos to be!

Then again Vista is built from Win95 code, it must be awesome to re-use things and save on money.  >:(

woah... slow down... run that by me again?

Vista is built from Win95 code
      Wow. you're are a dumbass. Windows 95 was part of the "original" windows line; that is- 1.0->ME, were all the same codebase.

Windows NT was released around the same time as windows 3.1, and it was designed differently from the ground up. This is what became NT 3.1, 3.51, 4, W2k, XP, Vista, and 7. None are rewrites of any previous version. Because, A:) rewriting always wastes far more time then refactoring, and B:) the windows codebase isn't quite like that "hello world" batch program that you made last week. It's a bit longer. Anyway, the fact that you even think there is any morsel if windows 95 code in there (although I guess there might be some, mostly in the area of the shell/Explorer, since that was not in the original incarnations of NT but rather "stolen" from windows 95. (I'd imagine they had to rewrite explorer to work with NT. I say this from experience working with both 9x and Windows NT as platforms, they are completely different in many ways, similar in other ways, and generally making code work on both is a huge pain. It is because of that I cannot provide "links" to my own "proof", because I actually understand how the OS works, rather then making huge generalizations based on a few numbers in task manager.

Anything works great on a i7 core, 12GB, 1TB beast, we don't need to care if it's crappy code.  ::)
      I find it generally amusing that you can even pretend to know what the code looks like. Thank god I found an expert though! I've been trying to decide wether to implement a interface via a single concrete class and simply cast all references to the interface so I can use the interface methods, or wether I should use a virtual base class and create classes derived from it and use the polymorphic features provided by almost all OOP supporting languages to cast any derived class to the base class. This is good in that it will allow me to implement the base functionality once in the base class and have that functionality duplicated in the various derived classes,  but I wanted to get an opinion from an expert before I went ahead and implemented any of this. Thank goodness you came along with your ability to tell when code is crappy purely based on your own volition.

I could list a million different sites and forums that provide advance testings and performance monitoring... sure these could be unrelible and bios but 89% all say the same thing and I've done the tests myself. So tell me it's all wrong and should be ignored.  :o
      I'm sure there are millions of sites preaching anti-semitism and child pedophilia, but that hardly makes it right.

The only issue I see here is paying Microsoft more cash for Win7 Ultimate. :(
      I think it's cheaper then windows Vista Ultimate :)

don't believe in using anti-virus scanners either, hint, hint, someone
      That would be myself. I've covered my reasons for it personally a number of times that I won't bother to reiterate here. I know Allan disagrees with me, but we certainly don't argue about it. In fact, i've argued against going "nekkid" like I do for many various posters; simply based on what their experience level seemed to be. And even that's not a perfect determinate factor; after all, from what I understand Raymond Chen uses a Virus Scanner, and I'm not about to tell him otherwise, since I wouldn't be able the find reasons for and against that he couldn't!

I certainly don't try to make people not use AV programs, because running nekkid is certainly not something that I'd let my grandma do. (in more ways then one).

In any case, if somebody is building a <NEW> machine then they should choose windows 7 over Vista, and I certainly would; it wouldn't make sense not to (well, unless you already have a spare Vista License that you can use). The original query was with regards to an upgrade; which would mean paying for Windows 7. Not really worth the trouble unless they are going to clean install it, though.
      « Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:34:45 PM by BC_Programmer »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
      My vista is getting a bit old and irritating now Smiley Time for a change  Cool
      His real problem is he needs a social life!
      Windows 7 will not help with that.
      He would do well to save his money and buy some good cloths and mingle with people.  8)

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 09:19:51 PM »
       ;D  :rofl:

You get sooo upset...

Smart people compare by USING the product, not by accepting reviews

If you had of read on, I said this could be bias, but 89% of reviews where the same and I DID THE TESTS MYSELF, I have all three OS and could get the lot as I'm on MSDN subscription. So you basically just called me Smart, thank you!  :P

Additionally, you continue to blather on about how windows 7 uses less RAM. it doesn't. so shut up about it unless you can prove it somehow.

Read the site link I posted right under it, oh wait you don't care for the facts! I've proved it already, you shut up about it (saying it doesn't, wheres the prove), unless you can somehow magical prove it wrong. Maybe if you spend some time hacking out all the unneeded background services, the kernel and all the features?

Wow. you're are a dumbass. Windows 95 was part of the "original" windows line; that is- 1.0->ME, were all the same codebase.

Wow I'm a dumbass for just pointing out it was the same codebase and Win7 was spos to be a rewrite? It's the truth, so how is that dumb?

I haven't taken any Microsoft courses. Somehow I believe the MS courses you've taken aren't actually legitimate courses but rather episodes of Barney. Not sure how you can confuse a dry technical supervisor with a giant purple dinosaur, but peopel do some freaky things on drugs, like use a mac.

If you only knew who I was, you wouldn't be talking like that, lol. I know a lot more about hacking, programming, tweaking, networking, computer security and performance, than you give credit for. I eat Barney for breakfast.

and blah blah blah...

Whatever, it's like you don't want hear it, keep la dee daa - ing, block your ears and ignore it then. I'm not trying to get you to upgrade even though your sub-consisous is yelling at you to (why else would you spend so much time protecting it). The topic poster asked a question, I answered, it's up to him to see the facts and decide.
      « Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:37:09 PM by Azzaboi »
      Aaron's Game Zone

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
      I eat Barney for breakfast.

he has a cereal now?

rthompson80819

Specialist

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
      If I say your face is made of cheese, or that the world is square, does that make it true? No,

BC, are you trying to say the world isn't flat?

Mulreay

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »
      He may say it's not but my 'square of the world' speaks otherwise.

Sorry my library is really tiny

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
      I know a lot more about hacking, programming, tweaking, networking, computer security and performance, than you give credit for.
      So do a lot of people around here but we don't go around bragging about it.

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
         Guys... where is the Topic Starter? I fear s/he is lost in your war actions...
      良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      « Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
      Yes, look at us...

Look at what we've become!  And over Windows 7 of all things...

Let us join forces so that we may find our common enemy, the real threat!  I'm talking of course of Microsoft.

Too long have we suffered irritating markiting attempts like releasing an unpopular OS on purpose (Vista) and then making loads o' more money by releasing a very similar but far more popular OS.

We should be fighting Microsoft, not each other.  >:(

sloan448

Intermediate

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
        I like Windows 7 a lot. Upgraded from XP about three weeks ago. I used the 64 bit upgrade and saw an instant increase in speed in my AMD Athlon 64. Now I can use all the power it has. Even my DSL is quite a bit faster. The only thing is DRIVERS for older stuff. I can't seem to find any for my Epson scanner so I still have it hooked up to my back-up machine with XP. W7 doesn't want to give me full access to my external hard drive either, says I have to have "permision" to move any thing on or off it. I had to upgrade my Outlook from 2000 to 2007 but I really like 07 so not complaining. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »
        The only thing is DRIVERS for older stuff. I can't seem to find any for my Epson scanner so I still have it hooked up to my back-up machine with XP.

I have a similar problem with my Canon laser printer, only 18 months old; I am using it from a VMWare virtual machine running XP.

W7 doesn't want to give me full access to my external hard drive either, says I have to have "permision" to move any thing on or off it.

This is to do with security settings and permissions. You will soon work out how to get full control. I have been running Windows 7 for three weeks also.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
        « Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »
        I like Windows 7 a lot. Upgraded from XP about three weeks ago. I used the 64 bit upgrade and saw an instant increase in speed in my AMD Athlon 64. Now I can use all the power it has. Even my DSL is quite a bit faster. The only thing is DRIVERS for older stuff. I can't seem to find any for my Epson scanner so I still have it hooked up to my back-up machine with XP. W7 doesn't want to give me full access to my external hard drive either, says I have to have "permision" to move any thing on or off it. I had to upgrade my Outlook from 2000 to 2007 but I really like 07 so not complaining. 

Yes but understand most of the power and speed you've gained through upgrading was going to 64bit processing...
        Mind you, 64bit XP was a joke, it was incredibly unstable and has basically no support.
        So, if you really want 64bit processing power and you have a 64bit processor, yes, it is a good idea to go Windows 7; but make sure you do a complete reinstall and not an upgrade, because upgrading to 64bit from x86 (32bit) doesn't work!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
        64bit XP was a joke, it was incredibly unstable and has basically no support.

No no...

Windows XP 64-bit Edition was a joke.

Windows XP x64 Edition worked fine and was quite usable. I know several people who have run it for years with no problems.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
        Windows XP x64 Edition worked fine and was quite usable. I know several people who have run it for years with no problems.

So do I.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
        2008 is the first year more portables than desktops were sold. Worldwide portable sales will continue to grow much faster than desktops. In 2012, IDC predicts, there will be 285.7 million portables sold worldwide, compared to only 156.6 desktops and x86 servers.

If that is almost true, then by 2012 the majority of new computers will be non-desktops and not running windows Vista.

So, if the OP plans on buying new software two or three years from now, he had better be ready for Windows 7. There is NO guarantee that new software will be backward compatible with Vista. Only if Vista holds a large market share.

The date that Vista will no longer be supported is 4/15/2012. .....  for Vista, thus resulting in an artificially created "end of life"...

So, he has two years to think about it.

Déjà vu, ¿otra véz?   

neelchauhan

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »
        The interface is a little glitchy for big multi taskers but in every other field it is better than Vista.
        If you want some lost features back, you can get the Windows Live pack or if you are just needing Movie Maker, click on the link below:
        http://www.mediafire.com/?ywqmnnnmywm
        for the Vista movie maker.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
        big multi taskers   ???
        What operating system (OS) does the Google Search Appliance run on?
        The Google Search Appliance is based on the same software that is used in Google's datacenters. The operating system is a hardened version of Linux that is optimized for search, sometimes referred to as Google Linux.

http://www.google.com/support/gsa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15898
        That would exclude Windows 7.  ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
        At one time I was one, but I can honestly say that these days, I find OS fanbois so tedious.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
        but seriously... what the heck is a "big multi-tasker"?  Most modern OS's have a good number of processing running when you start them, so they are by definition "multi-tasking" them.

Or perhaps "big multi-tasker" is meant in the sense that the person does a lot of things but does a mediocre job on all of them due to the distraction of the other "tasks".

EDIT:

in any case, I really can't stand when people take a computer-oriented word/phrase, like "multi-tasking" (which is really just an invented word to explain threading and context switching to people) and use it in real life as if there is any sort of direct analogy. a Human brain is NOT a processor. a context switch on a processor takes less then about a millisecond. A Person can take a full half-hour or more to <properly> "context switch" into a different task. It's like trying to write two letters to two different people by writing them one word at a time and switching; it would be a LOT faster to just write them one at a time, since "context switching" (that is, remembering the topic, what you've already written, the current sentence "state", and so forth) between the two letters takes ages.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:17 PM »
        Human brain is NOT a processor.
        Really?   ;D

Multitasking Muddles Brains, Even When the Computer Is Off

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
          Moral of this thread:

*censored* hoc (or post hoc) ergo propter hoc. 

Translation: Correlation does not always imply causation.

In the case of Vista, much of the "crap" and "bugs" may have been a combination of poorly written, perhaps rushed code (Microsoft) and poorly written drivers (the third-party developers).  There were many standards that developers were not following with XP that were enforced more strictly in Vista.  They got away with it since the early 00s with XP...why not Vista, right?  Wrong!

Microsoft was bold in "breaking everything at once" to cut off the bad habit of the developers.  However...it backfired, as human nature tends to resist change when it's done too fast/too much/too frequently. 

Also, having XP be the "latest" consumer OS from 2001-early 2007 resulted in a degree of complacency.  Again, people don't like change, especially if it comes off to them as "change just for the sake of change."

However, Vista RTM did have its fair share of problems:

1) file copying through Explorer taking significantly more time than through a command prompt (or even using Explorer in previous Windows OSes).  This was fixed just before SP1 was released.  Speaking of which...

2) SP1 itself...SOOOOO many problems even getting it installed due to many variables.  Finding the variables was often a pain--it's usually better to just reformat with the RTM disc, and then install SP1 (or just get a copy of Vista with SP1 already slipstreamed...'cause Microsoft didn't have an official slipstream method). 

3) Perception of extreme slowdown on older PCs.  This is, of course, to be expected, but it is quite odd that Vista RTM on a P4-3 GHz with 1 GB of RAM would run dirt slow, but yet Vista SP2 with the same specs runs at somewhat acceptable performance. 

4) The new TCP stack seemed to break compatibility with older routers.  It's hard to point the finger solely at Microsoft for this one, though.  I'd say 50/50 between Microsoft and the router manufacturers...especially the ones late with the firmware upgrades or the ones that decided not to release an upgrade altogether, leaving the onus on the consumer to purchase a new one.

5) Older programs not working in Vista, and/or removed from it altogether.  Granted this will happen, but when businesses have this problem, they're not going to move forward with it.  Examples are:
          - Hyperterminal (yes, I know consumers don't use this, but some businesses do, especially when using terminal emulation programs).  Why was it removed?  Legal reasons (Hilgrave owned it).
          - NTBACKUP.  Many businesses use this (especially with Server 2003), but it was removed from NT6 altogether and replaced with something that, at the time, seemed inferior (no tape support, couldn't backup Exchange at the time, couldn't select what you wanted to backup--it's all-or-nothing).  Why?  Again, legal reasons (Veritas owned it, which was bought by Symantec).
          - NetMeeting.  Windows Meeting Space did not replace ALL of the functionality of NetMeeting (specifically, the Remote Desktop Sharing part that acts like WebEx).  With Vista (and 7), the only other option out of the box is to actually have the user send a Remote Assistance invite.  Remote Desktop works, but it locks the screen and the user can't see what you're doing when you remote in.  Why was this removed?  I'm not sure, but my guess is that it's not compatible with rewritten (or revamped, or modified, or whatever you want to call it) graphics engine.

It was probably for the best that Server 2008 started at the NT 6 SP1 level...'cause the RTM level would have caused a lot of havoc in the business sector of things...

However...Vista with SP2 and its current updates is slowly closing the gap on the notion that Windows 7 is better than it in every single way. 

My advice is, as long as you keep your Vista up to date, you're not missing much with Windows 7.  If you're still running Vista at RTM level (or even early SP1 level), then of course Windows 7 is going to blow it away!

If anything, Vista conditioned the public for Windows 7.  I would think that, without Vista, people would raise almost as much of a stink about Windows 7 as they did about Vista (at least about problem #5 above--older apps not working).  Microsoft also seemed to have marketed it better and made absolute certain that it was lean enough to run on a netbook.  Can Vista run acceptably on a netbook?  In its current state, it can (SP2, platform update, etc.).  In its RTM state?  Not a chance.
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Mulreay

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
          I'm fairly sure this has had it's day.. the argument to 'what is best' is purely academic as it's the user that chooses certainly not the product.