Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "This operation has been cancelled..." when attempting to open Chrome  (Read 4113 times)

MNeidig

Topic Starter

Suddenly, whenever I try to open Google Chrome, I am unable to, and this message will pop up:

Restriction
         "This operation has been cancelled due to a restriction in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

For one, I am the administrator of this computer, although it shares a network with my brother's and my father's PCs.

While I tried to do whatever I could to open Chrome, uninstalling and reinstalling, setting Chrome as the default browser, etc, I was still unable to launch it. However, I can click on links that open up in a new Chrome window, so I can at least say that whatever it is is only preventing me from launching the application.

In my search, I came across a solution that said to use Regedit and change some of the values of the keys from CHROMEhtml to just hmtl. I did that, and there was still no change in whether or not I could launch Google Chrome.

This is not the first occurance. The first time, I was able to System Restore and fix it, and Google Chrome operated fine, but I've tried System Restore twice and it hasn't yet worked.

I'm really frustrated by this. I strongly dislike using IE. This is also happening to Mozilla Firefox. If there's anything I've missed, please tell me.

Thanks,
    MNeidig.

twizzle

Rookie

Re: "This operation has been cancelled..." when attempting to open Chrome
      « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
      Sorry I can't help you a lot but have you tried unstalling it and reinstalling it?
      Cheers

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:48:33 AM »
      Sorry I can't help you a lot but have you tried unstalling it and reinstalling it?
      Cheers

If Firefox does it too it could be down to a faulty system, had any Windows Updates recently?  ;D

twizzle

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:38 AM »
        If Firefox does it too it could be down to a faulty system, had any Windows Updates recently?  ;D

yes your right silly me ::) think I better leave it to the experts ;)
        Good luck
        Martin