Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Card reader not working  (Read 2043 times)

jlaak5

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Card reader not working
    « on: March 18, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
    Hello all,

The card reader on my pc no longer works.  I am running Windows XP.  The card works in my digital camera as well as my printer.  Here  is my question.  I went into msconfig/services/smart card.  The box was checked but the service showed as being stopped.  How do I get the service running again? 

Thanks

techbeard

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Card reader not working
      « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »
      Hi,

The smart card service isn't used for card readers. Is the card internal to your computer or does it connect via USB?

Could you give the following a try to see if anything turns up.

1) Put you memory card in the reader

2) Right mouse click 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage'

3) Click on 'Disk Management' - This tell you all the drives connected to your computer.

4) If you see your memory card there, check what drive letter it has been assigned.  If it's been assigned the same drive letter as something that is already there, then you can change it by right mouse clicking on the memory card and selecting 'Change Driver Letter and Paths'.

If not it may be the case that your card reader is not connected properly to your computer or is faulty or maybe you may need to reinstall the drivers.  You can check to see if the card reader is being picked up properly in 'Device Manager', which you can access from the same place as 'Disk Management'.  Look for anything that as an ! or x against it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
      Techbeard