Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD burner not burning at maximum speed  (Read 2419 times)

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    DVD burner not burning at maximum speed
    « on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:59 AM »
    I bought a Samsung 22x DVD burner and I'm just wondering why its maximum speed in burning dvd's is only 16x. Supposed to be 22x right?

Salmon Trout

Re: DVD burner not burning at maximum speed
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:59:17 AM »
    A burner drive will only burn at maximum speed if both these things are true: (1) the blank disc being used supports that speed (2) The disk manufacturer's ID code for that type of disk is stored in the drive's firmware. If a disk is rated for 22x but the burning software will only allow a lower speed then you can see if the drive manufacturer offers a newer firmware version that contains that disk ID and flashing software and if so flash the drive, but I personally do not recommend this unless you know exactly what you are doing. There is a risk of killing the drive. The difference in the time you have to wait between burning a DVD at 22x and burning it at 16x is very small.

A forum I found contained this remark

.it just ain't worth all the effort for tiny difference.

jquin3

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »
      Thanks for the reply. Personally I really dont care if its 22x or 16x but I was just concerned that something may not be working right. I'm sure the firmware is updated since I checked the firmware version of the dvd with the most recent one in the Samsung website. Perhaps it was the burning application (Nero 9 Essentials) which came with the dvd burner that is reporting the slower speed.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
      Thanks for the reply. Personally I really dont care if its 22x or 16x but I was just concerned that something may not be working right. I'm sure the firmware is updated since I checked the firmware version of the dvd with the most recent one in the Samsung website. Perhaps it was the burning application (Nero 9 Essentials) which came with the dvd burner that is reporting the slower speed.

Usually the drive reports the max speed for the disc to the burning app.