Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer powers up but no beep(no Post)  (Read 14138 times)

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer powers up but no beep(no Post)
    « on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
    I built a gaming PC about 3 months ago, Everything ran great, until last night.

Now my computer starts up but;
    No beep, so probably no post test?
    my monitor searches and then displays "check signal cable"
    mouse dead
    keyboard wont light

What does work are fans, dvd drive, lights on Motherboard, lights on PS.

Interesting side note is I have to push the CPU cooler fan to get it running. Once started fans stays running. So maybe the CPU heated up and died? Could the CPU be fried? Causing the no post test?

Any help would be welcome
    Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer powers up but no beep(no Post)
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:51 AM »
    Replace that fan ASAP...
    Also swap in a borrowed PSU of the same or greater wattage...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkolak

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
      I agree. On POST the BIOS checks the fan speed, and if not sufficient will abort boot up.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
        I replaced the CPU fan with a new fan and the new fan runs great. Still no POST. I put the old fan back in and it still needs a push start. I put the new fan back in start up the computer new fan runs great.

So a bad fan.

Would the Power Supply still be suspect?
        Could the CPU be fried causing the No Post issue?

thanks

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
          Here is my computer components. Don't know if this will help.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
          Xtreme Design w/ CrossfireX support, DDR3 1800 OC

HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

Windows7 64bit

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
            I replaced the CPU fan with a new fan and the new fan runs great. Still no POST. I put the old fan back in and it still needs a push start. I put the new fan back in start up the computer new fan runs great.

So a bad fan.

Would the Power Supply still be suspect?
            Could the CPU be fried causing the No Post issue?

thanks
            Anyone help me with the questions above? ???
            Thanks

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
            Replace that fan ASAP...
            Also swap in a borrowed PSU of the same or greater wattage...

From above...

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
              Thanks
              Have power supply on order. Hope this is the fix. If not any ideas where to go next? CPU? Motherboard? both?

Pirate1207

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
                Try o remove everything connected from the motherboard (memory, hard disk, power supply, processor etc) and try to clean everything with a paint brush. Try to clean also your motherboard (try to use blower fan with a paint brush). Just want to ask this. Is their any bloated capacitor in your motherboard? if yes, then it might be the problem. Also clean your memory with an eraser. I've been encountering this kind of problem several times and it most of it the solution is cleaning of the entire computer hardware.

If after cleaning you encounter same problem, try to install your new PSU, if same problme you encounter again then try to change your memory, remove your HDD and other connected in your motherboard. try to connect only the basic like processor, memory (others try to remove) and give it a try. If same problem you encounter then it might me the motherboard or processor. Good luck.

pennygar

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
                  Is it worth checking the thermal paste in the processor unit?  I have found that if this has depleted then the computer won't start properly.

Pirate1207

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
                    if we are talking with the thermal paste alone i think no since you mention that the PC is 3 months old. But if your place is prone to dust then i suggest to check and clean your processor also. Try also remove the CMOS battery. sometime i do that thin and after installing the CMOS battery the PC work as it is expected.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
                      Try o remove everything connected from the motherboard (memory, hard disk, power supply, processor etc) and try to clean everything with a paint brush. Try to clean also your motherboard (try to use blower fan with a paint brush). Just want to ask this. Is their any bloated capacitor in your motherboard? if yes, then it might be the problem. Also clean your memory with an eraser. I've been encountering this kind of problem several times and it most of it the solution is cleaning of the entire computer hardware.

If after cleaning you encounter same problem, try to install your new PSU, if same problme you encounter again then try to change your memory, remove your HDD and other connected in your motherboard. try to connect only the basic like processor, memory (others try to remove) and give it a try. If same problem you encounter then it might me the motherboard or processor. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to boot using only the CPU, CPU fan, and motherboard. Disconnected everything else, still no post.
                      There is some dust so I will clean everything and try all the above steps again. By then my new Power supply should be delivered, and I'll try just the Motherboard, CPU with fan and see if i get some type of beep. Then add parts one at a time.
                      Really hope the power supply is the problem (still kind of sceptical that the PSU is it). At least the PSU is easy to check.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
                        if we are talking with the thermal paste alone i think no since you mention that the PC is 3 months old. But if your place is prone to dust then i suggest to check and clean your processor also. Try also remove the CMOS battery. sometime i do that thin and after installing the CMOS battery the PC work as it is expected.
                        I have tried clearing the CMOS, still no POST. I can check the thermal paste when I re-seat the CPU
                        thanks

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »
                        Until the PSU is replaced it's silly to assume it will still be broke...

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
                          Until the PSU is replaced it's silly to assume it will still be broke...

Well, new fan and New Power Supply. . . . still no Joy.
                          I think I'm down to Motherboard or CPU. Which should I start with? Just bite the bullet and replace both? Start with motherboard in case the motherboard took out the CPU?

Right now all I have hooked to the new Power supply is motherboard, CPU and CPU fan. still no beeps

HELP!!  :'(

inuyasha555

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »
                            I think I'm down to Motherboard or CPU. Which should I start with? Just bite the bullet and replace both? Start with motherboard in case the motherboard took out the CPU?

Right now all I have hooked to the new Power supply is motherboard, CPU and CPU fan. still no beeps

Bring it in to a shop near by and have an expert help with it hands on. Sure saves money on new hard ware that you didn't need to replace.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
                              Bring it in to a shop near by and have an expert help with it hands on. Sure saves money on new hard ware that you didn't need to replace.

I need to see this through. . .lol
                              I can't give in,  I'm in too deep to stop now.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

ttt

jkolak

Hopeful
                                  « Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »

Motherboard with RAM installed?

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 05:58:55 AM »
                                    Motherboard with RAM installed?

I have tried new power supply with my motherboard, CPU and CPU fan. I don't have the Ram installed, because I'm wanting to try the minimum just to get a beep (yes I have the speaker hooked up).

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    « Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 06:22:17 AM »
                                    The minimum to Post:

MBoard
                                    CPU/Fan
                                    PSU
                                    Keyboard and mouse
                                    1 stick of RAM
                                    Monitor.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »
                                      The minimum to Post:

MBoard
                                      CPU/Fan
                                      PSU
                                      Keyboard and mouse
                                      1 stick of RAM
                                      Monitor.
                                      What's the minimum to get a beep?

jkolak

Hopeful
                                        « Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:14 AM »
                                        That's the minimum for a beep. Beep confirms POST and then proceeds to boot.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
                                          That's the minimum for a beep. Beep confirms POST and then proceeds to boot.

I should get some type of beep code since I'm missing memory, video, HDD, ect.
                                          I'm getting nothing except cpu fan spinning. So I have to assume I have a bad mobo or cpu.
                                          Do you start with mobo or cpu?
                                          thanks

patio

• Genius
                                          • Maud' Dib
                                            • Yes
                                          « Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
                                          Not neccessarily...a MBoard can't always be counted on to produce a beep code...even though that's whats supposed to happen.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »
                                            Not necessarily...a MBoard can't always be counted on to produce a beep code...even though that's whats supposed to happen.

So start with mobo or cpu?
                                            Since my CPU fan was not running, I'm inclined to think the CPU fried. Maybe my temp safety setting in the bios was too high (don't remember setting the temp in bios on first boot). So in that scenario I could just try a cpu. Would cpu over heating cause the mobo to die also?
                                            thanks

jkolak

Hopeful
                                              « Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
                                              Why don't you try this first before making an expensive assumption:

The minimum to Post:

MBoard
                                              CPU/Fan
                                              PSU
                                              Keyboard and mouse
                                              1 stick of RAM
                                              Monitor.

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:07 AM »
                                                Why don't you try this first before making an expensive assumption:

I already have. Still no post.
                                                The point I'm at is Motherboard or CPU. Which should I start with is my question.

patio

• Genius
                                                • Maud' Dib
                                                  • Yes
                                                « Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
                                                The issue is if you have decided it's 1 or the other...how do you intend to test either/or ? ?

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
                                                  The issue is if you have decided it's 1 or the other...how do you intend to test either/or ? ?
                                                  Correct. I don't want to damage any parts trying them out.
                                                  I'm inclined to try CPU first (because of the fan issue), but still have not eliminated the mobo out of the equation.

patio

• Genius
                                                  • Maud' Dib
                                                    • Yes
                                                  « Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
                                                  how do you intend to test either/or ? ?

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Good question. I've done a good visual inspection of all circuitry I have not noticed any damaged parts.
                                                    I have an electronics back ground, so I hope to find schematics and t/s down to component level.
                                                    My goal is to get my computer back up and running soon, so I'm willing to spend money for hardware , to swap out motherboard and CPU.
                                                    So I am ordering a new motherboard and CPU. I'll swap out the pair.

Component level next. . . . or bad CPU.
                                                    thanks I'll update when I know if it's mobo or CPU

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
                                                      Well replaced both motherboard and CPU, and everything is great now.

Now I have a Windows7 product key not being recognized, after being prompted to "Activate Windows Now".

Any ideas what to do?

patio

• Genius
                                                      • Maud' Dib
                                                        • Yes
                                                      « Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 04:16:44 PM »
                                                      I'm assuming U.S.

(888) 352 7140

rnnr4202001

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
                                                        I'm assuming U.S.

(888) 352 7140
                                                        Thanks they got me re-set