Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems Staying Connected  (Read 3675 times)

4hugger

Problems Staying Connected
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:10:39 AM »

Here's my problem. I'm running XP Home and all was fine till about a month ago I started having problems staying connected online. It runs fine for about 5 min and then I have to restart or dump the IP in cmd prompt. This happens constantly...it has not stayed connected for more than 5 minutes at a time in over 3 weeks. I have tried everything. Even calling microsoft didnt help....they even said they didnt know what it could be. I've reinstalled windows 3 times and still get the same thing. I have cable internet and my local area connection status still reports as connected when I'm not.
  At this point, I am ready to format to see if that corrects the problem but I'm not really sure how to do this....I have all the discs necessary and everything important has been back up.
  I would really appreciate any help.

merlin_2

Re: Problems Staying Connected
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 11:23:50 AM »
See if the events log can tell you more>control panel admin tools....try ping www.bbc.co.uk < typed in the cmd prompt> it should return a message like packets sent......packets lost....what does it tell you!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 11:24:14 AM by merlin_2 »

4hugger

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 12:05:01 PM »

Ok , I went to admin tools....then to event viewer....under system error records there is an alert that states "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the concurrent TCP coinnect attempts" when I scrolled down thru the rest of the security logs....there are a LOT of these same alerts. Then there are A LOT of the following errors for each day..."The device, Device\Harddisk0\D\ , has a bad block"
I did the ping in cmd prompt and it came up with = packets sent 4, packets recieved 4 and packets lost 0

Took me 5 restarts to get this posted!

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
(1) scan for trojans /worms etc in safe mode<hold down the f8 key on boot up?
(2)Right  on the cdrive icon click tools click error-checking..... to repair bad blocks
(3) This may help>http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

4hugger

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »
Tried all of the above with no success...even downloaded the patch from speedguide. My IP address is getting dumped every minute. I can log on one time before having to restart once again.
  If you can think of anything else please let me know and thanks for your help so far.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
Maybe the fault lies with the modem......update drivers and see if it helps?Is there any capping on cable usage?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 02:28:01 PM »
...If you can think of anything else please let me know and thanks for your help so far.

Contact your ISP.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
If the cable modem is spontaneously re-booting, and there is no evidence of signal-related problems, then you should check on electrical conditions near to the cable modem. Possible causes of these problems are:

The cable modem itself is faulty.
Mains wiring to the cable modem is faulty or intermittent.
Mains spikes arising from e.g. vacuum cleaners, power tools, heating thermostats, refrigerator thermostats.
Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), e.g. mobile phone, local radio transmitter.
There are plenty of reports of mobile phones disrupting cable modems if kept too close
<snipped from a webpage public domain>

4hugger

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 05:44:46 PM »
I updated the drivers and I've been online now for 15 minutes so far.....the longest in the last 3 weeks. Dont know if this has corrected the problem but time will tell. If it happens again I'll take the advice on contacting my ISP. I did contact them at the start of the problems but they were no help but maybe the cable modem needs replacing?
  Thanks for the help so far!