Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A drive keeps grinding when downloading file  (Read 2720 times)

WMCClark

A drive keeps grinding when downloading file
« on: July 09, 2005, 04:26:11 PM »
For about a week I've noticed that the A drive tries to read/write to a floppy when I download a file.  I'm using Firefox and have download location set to a folder on my C drive, but to get the download to start I have to have a floppy in my A drive.  It saves the file to the correct folder on my C drive but I can't figure out why the A drive thinks it needs a floppy before the download can occur.

It's annoying and I either forget to put a floppy in the A drive until the noise starts or forget to take the floppy out before I shut down the computer, which means I get that error message the next time I boot up that tells me I have a non-system disk in the drive.

Dell Dimension 2400, Pentium 4 1GHz, 1 Gig Ram, Windows XP Pro w/SP2 and all later updates installed.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Walt

WMCClark

Re: A drive keeps grinding when downloading file
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »
Sorry, a correction - the Pentium 4 is 2.8 GHz.

Walt

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »
Run  spyware program......majorgeeks.com

WMCClark

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 09:26:03 PM »
Merlin (I still like that name),

As you've probably seen in my other question, I have quite a few anti-malware programs on my PC.  After your suggestion to run anti-adware programs I updated the definitions on all of them (even anti-virus) and ran them all.  No viruses or worms, a few instances of tracking cookies and several instances of Wild Tangent, all of which I deleted, then I downloaded another file and the A drive still grinds away until I slip a floppy disk in, then the file obediently saves in the proper location on my C drive.  Any other ideas?

Walt

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 04:46:32 AM »
Wild Tangent should not be present. Neither should tracking cookies. They may not be properly removed or it may have come back. Scan in safe mode install the following applications if you have not yet done so:

AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options
HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!

Mac

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 12:11:38 PM »
Which Anti-Virus are you using? Have you tried uninstalling the floppy drive and re-booting to let the drivers re-install?