Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cable modem to router to laptop & desktop????  (Read 3717 times)

ront2

Topic Starter

Cable modem to router to laptop & desktop????
    « on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:57 PM »
    Am a newbie with wi-fi, routers, and laptops.  The cable from the wall that I use now...will....after I purchase a router... go firstly to the Cox Cable modem (provided by my local cable company..Cox)...then from there... a cable will connect to a router.... then from the router a signal (wireless) goes to a laptop (ready to go with wireless). The laptop may now receive the internet....  Now, with my trusty new desktop.... is there still a cable from the same modem to my destop computer that enables me to receiver the internet?.. What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house ( one a laptop...Toshiba), ...the other my desktop, can receive the internet at the same time?
    The second part of the question....and thanks for bearing with me.... if I make my desktop computer.. wi fi ... with a card (PCI) or USB adapter..... can both in house computers use the internet at the same time? And can both be cabled (non-wireless) at the same time for same time internet? Thanks, Ron

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cable modem to router to laptop & desktop????
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:17:48 PM »
    Am a newbie with wi-fi, routers, and laptops.  The cable from the wall that I use now...will....after I purchase a router... go firstly to the Cox Cable modem (provided by my local cable company..Cox)...then from there... a cable will connect to a router.... then from the router a signal (wireless) goes to a laptop (ready to go with wireless). The laptop may now receive the internet....  Now, with my trusty new desktop.... is there still a cable from the same modem to my destop computer that enables me to receiver the internet?.. What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house ( one a laptop...Toshiba), ...the other my desktop, can receive the internet at the same time?
    Yes
    The second part of the question....and thanks for bearing with me.... if I make my desktop computer.. wi fi ... with a card (PCI) or USB adapter..... can both in house computers use the internet at the same time? And can both be cabled (non-wireless) at the same time for same time internet? Thanks, Ron
    Why would you want to use wireless on a desktop, you aren't moving it around.  You will actually get better signal strength by using an ethernet cable.
    Evil is an exact science.

ront2

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
      Thanks Quantos,,, Yes, I might be moving the laptops' location to another room ... so it will have to be wireless.
      If my desktop in its new location is now wireless...USB or PCI card.... Does the laptop now have a choice of staying wireless or go cable (of course in the same room where the Cox Cable (motorola) modem is located)?
      I am a newbie, so I do not know about Ethernet. Thanks, Ron

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
      Yes, you can use either, but why make the desktop wireless?  If you plan on playing any on line games you will be terribly disappointed with the performance that you will get from wireless.
      Evil is an exact science.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:13:11 AM »
      ...I am a newbie, so I do not know about Ethernet...
      That's the cable that currently goes from the cable modem to the desktop, unless you are using USB.

computerhelpmaryland

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
        Yes, what Quantos said is accurate. I would make the desktop a wired connection and it sounds like what you said would work. So just make the desktop wired and the laptop can use the wireless network. What kind of router do you have? Give detailed specs and model name/number please.