Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with multiboot vista/7/xp  (Read 2792 times)

dlx

Topic Starter

Beginner

help with multiboot vista/7/xp
    « on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
    i want to have a multiboot on my computer with vista (already installed), 7 and XP. i installed windows 7 and i have a dual boot everything works fine, but when i install xp i can only boot in XP not the other OS. vista and 7 are still listed in "my computer" but i dont have an OS choice at the boot screen.

pcs365_2

Beginner

Re: help with multiboot vista/7/xp
      « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
      Hi,

If you have more than one operating system on your computer, you can set the operating system that you want to use as the default one for when you start your computer:
      Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
      On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
      Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.
      Select the Display list of operating systems for check box, and then type the number of seconds for which you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.

To manually edit the boot options file, click Edit. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not modify the boot options file (Boot.ini), because doing so may render your computer unusable.
      PCS365.2
      Bangalore.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »
      Generally you want to install the oldest OS first and the newest last so the boot loader will be able to manage them. Alternatively you can download and use a utility such as EasyBCD to manage the boot process (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:39:39 AM »
      If XP has been installed to a seperate HDD the option will not be shown...you can select which drive to boot to via the BIOS...
      However try Easy BCD as suggested above 1st.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "