Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 18890 times)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Any Ideas?
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:46:32 PM »
For years now I've been printing out the "daily jumble" from jumble.com. During this time I  always used IE as my browser. After experiencing a virus recently and having the pros here help me out they suggested that perhaps I should try another browser that may be safer.
Since then I have tried Google Chrome,Firefox,Opera and Safari. Now my concern here is not catastrophic it's just more of an inconvenience. When I print out the "daily jumble" (which I do for others) in any browser except IE there is a big black line down the right side of the page which is quite a waste of ink. This line also shows up in print preview. I can't figure out why IE is OK but all others produce this black line. I could use IE for jumble and one of the others for everything else but that's a little inconvenient. I've tried everything that I can think of as far as print options and I've also contacted jumble.com(they referred me to uclick.com) and I've had no satisfaction from either. Just wondering if anyone who reads this has experienced anything similar to this or have any suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
    • Yes
Re: Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
Firefox is good. But if you want to be more safer, I suggest you install WOT (Web of Trust), a safe browsing tool add-on for Firefox or Internet Explorer. If you want some try, here is the link where you can download: Web of Trust

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
I'm already using WOT (thanks). It's the black Line in the screenshot that I'm concerned with.

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
I just tried the daily jumble on jumble.com and was forwarded to uclickgames.com.  On that page, I clicked the "Print" button on the lower-right edge of the puzzle.  When I previewed it, there was no black bar.  Is that what you did?

Also, have you tried turning off the "Print Background" option?
It is in "Page Setup" screen which you can find in the file menu or print preview.
Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
Thanks for doing that Kip. I thought that I had tried everything. I'll give it a shot again and reply.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:00:31 AM »
Can you post a link to where you found that page you posted the screenshot from?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
Thanks people. Here is the link where I printed the screenshot, at this point I'm using Safari as my browser.
At Kip's suggestion I downloaded Safari and tried again,same results. I don't change any printer settings. If I use IE works perfect. Use any other browser ,I get the dreaded black Line?
PS I don't see the print background option?

http://www.uclickgames.com/jumble/online/daily/tmjmf?gameid=tmjmf&campid=0&ssns=48&

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:25 AM »
In Firefox, go to the "File" menu, "Page Setup", and on the "Format & Options" tab, there will be a "Print Background (colors & images)" option.

(By the way, it must have been a different "Kip" that suggested Safari.)  ;)

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »
Sorry Kip. I guess that I didn't word it properly. What I meant was, in order to try your suggestion I had to download a browser other than IE. Just happened that I downloaded Safari. I wasn't trying to say that you suggested Safari but I realize now that it did sound that way.  :-[

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:02:59 AM »
Sorry Kip. I guess that I didn't word it properly.
That is alright, I understand now.

Have you tried Firefox?

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »
Yes I've tried Firefox, but with the same results. What I didn't use though is the " Print background" options. I'll give that a shot too and reply. Thanks

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »

In Firefox, go to the "File" menu, "Page Setup", and on the "Format & Options" tab, there will be a "Print Background (colors & images)" option.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I've tried again. downloaded Firefox (3.6) and, it doesn't matter whether "Print background is checked or not , for me, that black line is still there.

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »
OK, I figured out that the black bar does not show up on my computer because I use an extension to Firefox called NoScript.  When I disabled it, the black bar showed up.  Most people would probably find NoScript annoying because it causes allot of websites to not work unless you "allow" them.

For an easier solution, try printing the jumble from this Seattle Times version of uclick.  [Link]
I am not getting a black bar from it with or without NoScript.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
Well , I got to hand it to you, you did find a way. Just out of curiosity I tried the "jumble" from the site that you provided and it seems to work perfectly with Firefox, IE and Safari. Anyway,you've found a way for me now to use Firefox. I'd really like to thank you for your time and efforts. It's people like you that make CH the great site that it is.

Thanks again.

overthehill

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »
Although the option that Kip me gave works well, I decided (since I now have some time on my hands)to try again , to see if there was another browser out there beside IE that would allow me to print out the" Daily Jumble" directly from their site without the black line. Also there are a few other puzzles on that site that I do occasionally so should I choose to do so, it still would be a little more convenient to go directly to the Jumble site. I had kind of given up looking for a another browser after trying Firefox, Opera and Safari.(That's why I posted here) But tonight I actually found two browsers that allow me to print the Daily Jumble (from their site) with no black line. ;D The browsers are Maxthon and Avant. Don't know how much safer these browsers are in comparison to IE , why they're different than the other three, or anything much about them , but I'll try them for while and see how they play out ?

If the link below is correct they appear to be good as far as memory usage goes anyway.

<a href="http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2006/08/18/battle-of-the-browsers-in-cpu-and-memory-usage/" >Battle of the Browsers in CPU and Memory usage[/url]