Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Antec Two Hundred & Tuniq Tower 120  (Read 10265 times)

Dead Reckon

Antec Two Hundred & Tuniq Tower 120
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
I recently bought an Antec Two Hundred case used, $50, like new, a woman bought it for a media center and realized it was "too large". Dunno what she expected with an ATX mid tower.

The case came with a hot swappable 3.5" SATA bay, the male to female adapter for which, has broken, but is repairable. The case by default comes with a 120mm rear "TwoCool" exhaust fan, as well as a top 140mm "TwoCool" fan. I have to say the top fan was absolute junk, the long blades on it where brittle and one broke off while it was spinning. It makes little to no temperature difference in the long run to loose the fan. This case, overall, it's great, good budget case or a good gaming tower

My case came with a bonus of two 120mm side fans, I also installed a 120mm side fan in the side panel to cool the GPU. The thermal aspect of this case is simple but effective, air goes in the front, over the hard drives, graphics card, and whatever else, and up out the back, as well as out the back through the bottom mounted power supply bay. The fans blowing over the GPU help, my 8800GTS 640MB 320 bit XFX graphics card idles at 118-124F (Fan @ 75%), and does not exceed 150F gaming (Fan @ 100%).

View my specs to get an idea of what's in the case, I will say this, everything runs within what I would call perfect temperatures.

Now, to the heatsink I recommend, a Tuniq Tower 120, if you have the room in you're case that is. Currently, I am testing the passive capabilities of the heatsink. My CPU, an overclocked Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.2GHz stock, 2.8GHz overclocked), has been running at 100% in a bench test for sixteen minutes and thirty seconds. The temperature, without any fan on said heatsink, has not exceeded 106 degrees farenheit. I am going to do a test and see how well the heatsink does while gaming with only passive cooling. I will get back on that, hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of my computer to demonstrate that the size of the case does not matter, it is the way the case is laid out. I suspected I would be suck with a goliath of a computer case for adequate cooling. I, thankfully, was wrong, I have stepped aside my habit of getting overgrown computer cases to ensure proper cooling and bought one that is, to be honest, a bit cramped, but roomy as several full towers I've seen.

I am now going to test the potential of this heatsink while gaming passively. I'll write back on that when soon, unless I disappear into the gaming world for a few hours.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:09:48 PM by Dead Reckon »

Dead Reckon

Re: Antec Two Hundred & Tuniq Tower 120
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
The passive cooling test went far better than expected. Temperatures only exceeded 99 degrees farenheit on a very rare occasion. I believe I will soon be removing the fan from my CPU heatsink, as there is no need to leave it in there if it isn't doing anything.

***EDIT***

Forgot to mention, the game I used to test this was Fallout 3, running at Ultra High settings, literally everything was maxed out @ 1280x1024. I will screenshot temperatures if people want proof.