Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1 gb flash drive not using all avalible space.  (Read 3055 times)

bobgar34

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
1 gb flash drive not using all avalible space.
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
I have a 1 gb flash drive and I am trying to send some files to it but tera copy keeps saying error.  the drive is not at all full as you can see from the screen shot.  If I delete a few files from the flash drive it will then allow me to send files to it so I am wondering why it will not use more of the space that it says is available when I look at the drive properties.I have checked google rephrasing the question in different ways but have not found anything.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: 1 gb flash drive not using all avalible space.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
Sounds like a problem with Teracopy.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Sn3akyP3t3

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:11 PM »
    I always keep my recycle bin empty, but if I didn't then I would be curious to know if the recycle bin is used in the disk quota or not.  I'm going to have to experiment tomorrow unless someone knows the answer to that already.  I also wouldn't rule out hidden files or system files interfering.  I don't have any experience with Teracopy.

Personally I would slap that USB key on a Linux machine to see what is there for hidden files, but it can be done on a windows machine as well.

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »
    What size files are you trying to put on the drive?

Have you tried putting the files on there using a different method then Teracopy?
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

bobgar34

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:24 AM »
    The files I am trying to add are around 10 mb. I have not tried another method besides teracopy.I just right click the file and choose send to.   update:  It seems I can drag and drop the files with no problem and it is still teracopy that handles that operation so maybe it is just a bug or something it seems to be working just fine draging the files and I have no problem doing it that way.. Thanks for the suggestion of trying another method.It worked I am happy!  take it easy! 

mroilfield

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
    The files I am trying to add are around 10 mb. I have not tried another method besides teracopy.I just right click the file and choose send to.   update:  It seems I can drag and drop the files with no problem and it is still teracopy that handles that operation so maybe it is just a bug or something it seems to be working just fine draging the files and I have no problem doing it that way.. Thanks for the suggestion of trying another method.It worked I am happy!  take it easy! 
    If you are dragging and dropping files from one folder to the next or from the desk top to a folder then it should be windows handling that and not Teracopy.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

bobgar34

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »
    when I drag a file and drop it the teracopy window pops up showing a progress bar.When Teracopy is installed it has an option to be the default copy method.   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »
    when I drag a file and drop it the teracopy window pops up showing a progress bar.When Teracopy is installed it has an option to be the default copy method.   

Disable that feature, and see what happens when you copy.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

bobgar34

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
    I will check that out and see how it does. I have recently become a single parent of two boy`s 5 & 4.I don`t get to spend that much time on the computer anymore so my replies are not as frequent as i would like.  Thanks for the advice

bobgar34

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
    i noticed an option to check free space and i bet that is what is causing the errors. i am going to test it . My mind is all over the place now day`s and sometimes another persons perspective sure helps. Thanks to everyone who replied