Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unmountable_boot_volume message and my computer does nothing when I hit F12??  (Read 11563 times)

mckenna

Topic Starter

Starter

I just received this blue screen when starting my computer:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is. New installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

Of problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options suh as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Techical information:

*** STOP:  0x000000ED (0x86B638A8, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

When I push F12 nothing happens?? I tried pushing every button and nothing happens?? Help Please!!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    What's supposed to happen when you push F12?

Does this message appear when you reboot? Were there any warning signs or changes before you saw the message (new hw, sw, error, etc)? What OS are you using?

mckenna

Topic Starter

Starter

I read somewhere that F12 is suppose to reboot the computer? I don't know anything about computers and hope I can get an easy answer to fix the stupid computer without spending hundreds of dollars! :)

The only thing I have installed lately was something off of Netflix to watch a TV series then a couple of days later when I turn my computer on a black screen comes up with 4 options to start in safe mode... then it goes to the unmountable_boot_volume blue screen.

I don't think I am able to reboot my computer- when the blue screen comes on nothing happens- I have pushed every button to get something to happen??

Allan

• Mastermind
      You need to press the power button on the computer to shut it down. Then restart and see what happens. You may have to hold in the power button for a few seconds. And no, F12 is not supposed to reboot the system.

mckenna

Topic Starter

Starter

I have done that and the same screens appear?? Am I SOL?

Allan

• Mastermind
        What OS are you using? And just to make sure - you don't have a floppy drive with a non-bootable floppy inserted, correct?

mckenna

Topic Starter

Starter

I am assuming OS is operating system, if so it's Windows XP

I don't have a floppy drive inserted.

Thanks for your responses!! :)

Allan

• Mastermind
          Boot to the Recovery Console (boot to your XP CD and choose the FIRST repair option - press "R" when prompted - if you don't have an XP CD see if you can borrow one). If you need further instructions on how to get to the recovery console go to this link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm
          Once in the Recovery Console do the following:

1) Type Fixboot c: (then press ENTER)
          2) Type Fixmbr (then press ENTER)
          3) Type chkdsk /r (then press ENTER)

The last command will start checkdisk. It will take a while to complete - leave it alone and let it do so - you will know when it's done. When it finishes you will be at a command prompt. At that point type Exit (then press enter). The system will reboot. Let us know what happens.