Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Performance Question.  (Read 1897 times)

zgl

Topic Starter

Performance Question.
    « on: April 22, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »
    A year ago I got an HP Laptop. It's one of the DV7 series. It's main uses are watching/editing video and a little gaming.

I've been having an issue with it, though, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. While it has a decent set of specs, I have many issues with games and video editing.  My system takes forever to load Half Life 2 and after the game finally loads, even on the lowest setting, it freezes up ever few seconds while playing and different parts of the game won't load at all. In other FPS games it freezes up as well. It also becomes "jumpy", where the video freezes for a second then continues, a lot on youtube and when using Windows Media player. I feel like my specs should be giving me much better results than I get with every aspect of using my laptop.

Here are the specs from my dxdiag
    Vista Home
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.4GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    6142MB RAM
    Page File: 2309MB Used, 10197MB Available
    DirectX 11
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 3312MB Memory

I guess what I am asking here is if my system is just lacking in power or if some other issue exists, like something that Vista is doing that is keeping me from having optimal performance.

mr-bisquit

Re: Performance Question.
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
     Games may be dependent upon graphics libraries. Are yours up to date and stable?
    Are you running other programs in the background which are not for the system?
    What browser are you using? Is it tweaked for safety and performance? Why is the page file so large?
     The problem is not in your hardware. It's in software. Flash can eat up memory. If you're watching embedded videos while listening to music and a thousand other things, performance will decrease.

zgl

Topic Starter

Re: Performance Question.
      « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:44:15 AM »
      I regularly check the Nvidia site for driver updates, but that's about all I know to do with my graphics card.

The only other program I usually run while playing a game is Ventrilo.

The browser I use is FireFox 3.6.3 and I've never tweaked it.
      I don't know what page file is, other than that it's a spec in dxdiag lol, so I'm not sure why it's so large.