Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Access Denied Old My Document Files - Changing Permission on Multiple Files  (Read 4565 times)

Jemrada

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Hello,

I recently had a problem with a friends computer that they could no longer bootup in to. It was Windows XP Pro, it would just reboot all the time. You could no longer access the OS. So I suggested installing a fresh XP Pro on a new harddrive and move you saved files to the new harddrive.

Well, now I am to the point of moving the files and I keep getting a Access Denied error when I try to paste them to the new hard drive. I know how to change the security permissions for each file and it allows me to move the files then. I used this article from Microsoft to learn how to change the permissions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

My questions is this. How can I change the security permissions on multiple files?

I have 1000 different files that I need to do this on so I can move them.

Big

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      You could look into the CACLS command in commandline. Should do the job in combination with some for loops. Also technet.microsoft.com usually has scripts such as these.

CACLS

Computerhope is corrupt.

Jemrada

Topic Starter

Rookie
        Ok thanks,
        I have a couple questions.

I navigated in to the root folder of all the files and sub-folders that I want to change the permissions for.

What name should I use for filename size I am wanting to change multiple files and not just one?

Code: (Example Given) [Select]
        cacls FileName [/t] [/e] [/c] [/g User:permission] [/r User [...]] [/p User:permission [...]] [/d User [...]]
        Does this look correct for how I should use the command?

Code: (my version) [Select]
        cacls FileName [/t] [/c] [/f User:permission] [/f User [Jemrada]] [/p User:permission [Jemrada]] [/d User [Jemrada]]

Big

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
          Maybe the programmers here would know how to use that command. Let's wait if anyone answers.
          Computerhope is corrupt.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          if you put all the files in teh same folder, you should be able to do:

Code: [Select]
          cacls *.* /t /G User:Jemrada:F

within that folder.

here's a KB  article that has a way to do this using the UI as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.