Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New lap top question.  (Read 7393 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

New lap top question.
    « on: April 26, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
    My wife just got a lap top computer and it is hooked up to our router wireless. The router is a Belkin. Every thing is working fine. The question is, is this safe. Can any one get into our network through our router? We have no sharing between computers or printers. If this isn't safe, how do we make it safe. Most of the stuff on our computers is pictures and things I don't care if any one sees. But we do order stuff over the net and use card numbers. That could be bad if some got them. Thanks for your help.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: New lap top question.
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »
    It is nowhere near as safe as just using a hard line.  If someone taps into a hardline you might notice him sitting at your kitchen table.  That being said there are many ways to make it safer.  You could make sure that you are using WPA2 instead of WEP, use a strong key for access.  Make sure that you monitor your routing tables and log files for the router.

The most important thing though is to have excellent anti-spyware and anti-virus updated and continuously running on your computer.

Although it is possible that someone may be outside your house with a van full of gear trying to intercept your wireless signals, it is more likely that compromise will occur through an invited threat.  We have a whole section that deals with virus and spyware as a testament to that.
    Evil is an exact science.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »
      Thanks for the information. I don't know what WPA2 or WEP is or what one I have. How do I find that out? When you are talking about a key I assume that you are talking about the log in password that we don't use. There is only the wife and I at home and we don't use the other ones computer so we never set up passwords to log in to our computers. My lap top had a password log in because it was used at work. I have no idea how to monitor the router log files or tables so any information you can help me with would be great.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »
      Not having passwords on your computer is not a good practice. Somewhere I read that having passwords to your user accounts does increase, some what, your security level when you are connected to the Internet.

Sid

Apprentice
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
        Not having passwords on your computer is not a good practice. Somewhere I read that having passwords to your user accounts does increase, some what, your security level when you are connected to the Internet.

That's not strictly true.  Not having a password is actually more secure than having a weak, or guessable password, as Windows restricts access over the network for users without passwords.

Therefore no password is better then having your password be "password".

Also, slightly off topic, but in regards to this bit:

your security level when you are connected to the Internet

It's best practise to use a "User Account" when doing your day-to-day activities, instead of an "Administrator Account", as that prevents a lot of things being exploited due to a lack of permissions.

If the OP has any questions on how to enable this kind of stuff, feel free to ask (letting us know what operating system you're using (Windows XP, Vista, 7 etc)) and I can get some instructions written up.

As far as your initial question about Wireless Security goes, what is the Model Number of your Belkin router?  Again, so I can point you in the direction of instructions on how to enable simple but effective security (WPA2, or at least WEP).

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
          Two of the computers have Windows Vista Home Premium and the new lap top has Windows 7 Home Basic. The belkin router model is F5D7234-4 v3. Thank you much for your help. I am assuming that they are administrator accounts because they are the only accounts on the computers? Are you telling me to create a second account and use it to do things on the net?

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
          Yes, it's easy to do, you will want it to be just a user account though.
          Evil is an exact science.

dlx

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:29 AM »
            go to user account in windows vista/7 and create a new account. create a limited account and use it for your daily activities (you may find the uac prompt annoying sometimes) when you trying to do something taht requires admin level permissions. use a password on both account (admin and limited). enable WPA2 on your wireless router, you can do that by entering your ip address in your web browser and it will take you to a page on your (ISP) internet service providers site, from there you can change diffrent settings like your password and more.
            its very easy to get your ip address, take a look on the bottom of your post>>>>>tada

Sid

Apprentice
              « Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »
              go to user account in windows vista/7 and create a new account. create a limited account and use it for your daily activities (you may find the uac prompt annoying sometimes) when you trying to do something taht requires admin level permissions. use a password on both account (admin and limited). enable WPA2 on your wireless router, you can do that by entering your ip address in your web browser and it will take you to a page on your (ISP) internet service providers site, from there you can change diffrent settings like your password and more.
              its very easy to get your ip address, take a look on the bottom of your post>>>>>tada

What you'll need to do to change the WiFi settings is go to the IP address of your router.  This will be the "Default Gateway" on the laptop.  I assume the other two machines connect to the same router, but with cables, right?  If so, this can be done on any of your machines, and the Default Gateway should be the same as well.

To find the default gateway:

Start - Run - Type (no quotes) "Cmd" - Press Enter - Type (no quotes) "Ipconfig" - Press Enter - Find the correct Network Adapter and the Default Gateway will be listed.

Now, lets assume for this example that the Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1.

Now in a web browser (Internet Explorer) browse to http://192.168.2.1

You will probably be prompted for a user name and password, and the default ones are probably on the label on the router itself.

Now you're logged on to the router.  You should see a bunch of options on the lefthand side of the screen, click on Wireless.

From there I think it's Security, where you should be able to pick WPA2 as your encryption type.  (See page 57 of your user manual http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D7234uk4&aid=14386&scid=0)

NOTE: If you have a Nintendo DS, or DS lite and you want to be able to connect that to your WiFi, you will need to use WEP.  This does not apply to the DSi.

Once you have done this you will need to enter that password on each of your devices that connect via WiFi.  If you have any problems, let us know.

Also, regarding the secondary user account:

Yes, that's what I'd recommend.  It just puts another layer between you and getting a vulnerablity exploited.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:57:24 AM »
                Let me see if I understand this. I will have to use a log in name when I start the computer then log in to the network to get on to the net? I don't see a problem with that but the wife is going to. I can hear her now. I don't want to play spy, I just want to send an Email and look up stuff on the net. This is jut to much. Your going to have to put this back the way it was. I will bet on that. I did as you said and went to the site with the IP address but I didn't change any thing. That is the place that Belkin had me change stuff to make the wireless work. I guess that I have no protection because where I has to pick WPA2 it said Disabled. Now if I change this am I going to goof up things? Like make the system not work? When I got the high speed internet I picked up the router and hooked it up and put in the disk and nothing worked so I had to talk with Belkin to get it to work. Then the other day I had to get them to help make the wireless work. Now every thing is working. I just don't want to break any thing. You understand what I am saying?

Sid

Apprentice
                  « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »
                  Let me see if I understand this. I will have to use a log in name when I start the computer then log in to the network to get on to the net? 

Not quite.  When you first re-connect to the wireless network just tick the box that says "connect automatically" and you won't need to re-enter the WiFi password.

As far as the User account thing, you don't really need to do anything with Windows 7, as they've changed the way users interact with the system by default.

You understand what I am saying?

I do indeed.  If you make the WPA2 change on the router, you won't break anything, but I assume a few small changes will need to be made on the laptop.

You will probably need to remove the saved WiFi network (I assume it's setup to connect automatically).
                  (I don't have a Win 7 machine in front of me atm, but I can draw up instructions later for you if you need them)

You will need to connect the laptop to the WiFi network, using the password, and ensuring you tick the "Connect automatically" box.  During this process it will ask for the password, and it will remember it for future use.

It sounds like the changes Belkin walked you through were to make sure the router could connect to the internet.  Applying WPA2 will not affect this.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:06:52 AM »
                    Let me see if I understand what I am going to do. I set up the WPA2 thing from my computer and it will work for the two hard wired computers and I will have to set up the lap top from the lap top? Or the lap top will have to be tweaked to work after I set up from my computer? For the first time any of the computers log on to the net through internet explorer they will have to log in with the key or pass word then click the little box and the next time we will just have to hit internet explorer and get to the net? Is that about it? On the windows 7 computer ( her new lap top) she will not have to create a second account. On the two that are hard wired they will have to add an account for each and add pass words for all accounts? Yes the changes Belkin had me make got the wireless to work.

Sid

Apprentice
                      « Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:30:33 AM »

For the first time any of the computers log on to the net through internet explorer they will have to log in with the key or pass word then click the little box and the next time we will just have to hit internet explorer and get to the net? Is that about it?

On the windows 7 computer ( her new lap top) she will not have to create a second account. On the two that are hard wired they will have to add an account for each and add pass words for all accounts?

Ok, firstly, WPA2 only affects the wireless connections, so the hardwired machines won't be affected by that change.

Depending on the current settings on the laptop you will need to do the following:

If the current wireless connection is saved:
                      Delete the saved settings
                      Connect with the new settings (ensuring they get saved)

You won't have to do anything in IE, think of this change as "at the computer level".

Shall we park the other (User) idea for now and get you up and running with WPA2 first?

When I get home later (4 or 5 hours) I'll make a blog post with some screen shots for you to follow and I'll put a link in here.  The screen shots will probably help explain, and will give you some reference.

Does that sound like a plan?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 08:07:41 AM »
                        Sounds great to me. I will get back to you in five hours or so. I need to go cut grass any way. We have had rain for the past three days and the grass has really taken off.

Sid

Apprentice
                          « Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
                          Sounds great to me. I will get back to you in five hours or so. I need to go cut grass any way. We have had rain for the past three days and the grass has really taken off.

Here's the blog entry I promised.  I hope it helps.

If you have any questions, let me know.

http://sid351.blogspot.com/2010/04/updating-wireless-network-windows-7.html