Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New laptop hard drive noise and vibration issues  (Read 3318 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
New laptop hard drive noise and vibration issues
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Hey guys, I bought a 250GB WD HD to replace the original 80GB Hitachi HD in my laptop.  I have an external enclosure I intended to put the original laptop HD in.

The new HD is a 7200 rpm drive with 16MB cache/buffer.  It makes a noticeable constant hum noise and also makes a vibration which is noticeable whenever I touch the laptop on the left side where the HD is located. I thought I'd try a 7200 as a way to not only get more space but also get a performance advantage over 5400 rpm drives, but this noise and vibration is a source of dissatisfaction.  If 7200 rpm drives are going to be problematic this way, I'd rather stick with 5400 rpm drives in a laptop. 

This drive have a very solid overall review rating on newegg.com, although some reviews did mention noise and vibration.  I'm leaning toward returning it while that's still an option.  The drive is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279. Any of you been down this road with a laptop HD?  What would you do? 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New laptop hard drive noise and vibration issues
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
I'd expect the Caviar Black drives to be a little noisy, certainly noisier than an older 5400rpm drive.
I'm unsure if it's normal or not for that model, I know the desktop Black drives are pretty noisy.
I have the Blue (5400rpm) version of that drive in a media PC and it's all but inaudible, I know that has very little relevance though.  I also have a 7200rpm drive in my laptop, which is an older IDE Hitachi Travelstar drive, again that's all but inaudible and I'm fairly particular about noise.
If it was me, I'd return the drive for replacement and see if it was perhaps just an oddball/slightly faulty drive that was rather noisy, and if the issue persisted with a replacement I'd get a refund.  I don't however know Newegg's policy on returns so I'm not sure if that is a viable option for you, or indeed if you'd be willing to go through that process.
Hope this rambling helps somewhat :)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
If it was me, I'd return the drive for replacement and see if it was perhaps just an oddball/slightly faulty drive that was rather noisy ...
Thanks for the reply, Calum.  I was thinking along that line since.  I believe I'll be given 2 options (refund or replacement) when I initiate the "RMA", i.e. the return, procedure online.  And, yes, as far as I know, I could request replacement and then, if that one had the same issues, I could return it.  The buyer pays the shipping cost of returning an item.

I think I will definitely return it but I think I need to mull this over a bit before deciding whether to go for a refund and then get a different HD or request replacement and give this model another try.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »
Just food for thought Soybean but i have a Caviar Black in my machine right now...and put 2 of them into a Customers machine about 2 weeks ago...
I don't find them to be noisy at all...so it may very well be the drive itself.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "