Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with installing ubuntu.  (Read 15897 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

I need help with installing ubuntu.
    « on: May 05, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »
    I installed an older version of ubuntu (9.04)and was asked to up date, I did. After up dating it cleaned up some files and nothing worked after that. I tried to reinstall it and was told that I needed to clean the disk. So I down loaded the newest ubuntu and tried to install it. The live CD comes up and works great. I try to install it and get an error (could not start device/dev/mapper/asr_pictures-no such file or directory) and it won't let me install it. This comes up after giving the key board info.I was using a USB then changed to a PS/2 that didn't help. This was the same error I got when I tried to install the newest Linux Mint. I know I can clean the old CD and use it to install the older ubuntu and that will work. Then it will run out of support soon. I need help getting the new one installed. Please help. Thank you for your time.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I need help with installing ubuntu.
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
    Try seeing if your Ubuntu 9.04 will not give you an error. If ubuntu 9.04 does give you an error then try maybe formatting your disk with a formatting app (such as http://partitionlogic.org.uk/download/index.html) and then restart the installation. Let us know how that turns out.

If Ubuntu 9.04 installed successfully then 10.04 should too. I think it's a disk partition problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:53:39 AM »
    There is some information missing in the first post.
    We need to know something about the history of his computer .This can make a difference. Is this a laptop? Has there been any hardware errors with this computer?
    Assuming that it's a desktop, and not a laptop there is an easier way to get to the heart of the problem. You just stick in a fresh, clean hard drive and tried to install to the fresh clean hard drive. If that works, then you know that there was something wrong with the old hard drive or maybe the partition table had been corrupted.
    The only reason I mention this is because I have had this kind of problem before when trying to do installation of anything on a hard drive that gave me trouble before. Sometimes the hard drive is flaky, but in some cases the partition table has been really messed up by some other programs or operating systems.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »
      Today I went out to get a disk cleaner. The local stores didn't have one. So I stopped by the game shop and asked them and they told me to use Windex and a micro cloth. I did and installed ubuntu 9.04. Every thing went just as it should. All is well with this install.  Life is good. ;D ;D Now if I up date this ubuntu to the latest then I think it will all quit working like last time. ??? The reason I say this is because if I don't let it clean the system up it is going to use the new stuff any way so it still will not work. The computer I am using has an Intel 2.2 cpu Intel mother board, I don't remember the number. I will get it if I have to. I do have a video card, nvideo I think, not a real good one, 4GB of ram. I put this unit together for the grand kids to play games on. It is about a year or so old. It works fine with windows. I installed a second hard drive to play with linux. It works great with ubuntu 9.04. When they come over I will just hook up the other hard drive and all is well with them. I have other OS that I got from On- Disk that install and work. It seem like if I down load it and burn to disk it will not work. Oh the DVD player is a Pioneer. I did read that there could be a problem using DVDRW that I needed to use a CDR. Could that be the problem? I really don't think that is it because why will the up grade kill the system? The up grade is down loaded to the system. As far as the DVD player being bad it down loaded games and a bunch of other stuff in windows with no problems. It has down loaded the up dates for ubuntu with no problems. I don't know what to do. I can change out the DVD player I have a new one here. I just don't think that is going to help. Do you have any ideas? Oh this computer is a desk top and has had no problems at all.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
      Glad to hear you got it going.
      A word about RW drives. Never use them for things that are very important. They should be used for testing and for temporary storage. But even then, you take a chance. My personal preference is to use them just for him MP3 files that I want to listen to once or twice and then erase the CD RW.
      A good quality CD - R. is a small investment for something you want to use over again. And they burn faster anyway.
      Frankly, I am not familiar with how to do updates to the Ubuntu   system. My feeling is that I would just get a full version of the next level and install it. I have had good results with the 9.10 and  I'm going to hold off on using the latest version. There is a reason why they keep these archives are round. Sometimes it turns out that one of the older versions is more stable and reliable than the newer release. I do not know if that's true of the Ubuntu, but it certainly is a possibility.
      What I would do is stick with what works. That's why I'm sticking with the 9.10 version. But if you find the 9.04 version as reliable, I don't see any reason to change.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
      I have had good results with the 9.10 and  I'm going to hold off on using the latest version. There is a reason why they keep these archives are round. Sometimes it turns out that one of the older versions is more stable and reliable than the newer release. I do not know if that's true of the Ubuntu, but it certainly is a possibility.
      What I would do is stick with what works. That's why I'm sticking with the 9.10 version. But if you find the 9.04 version as reliable, I don't see any reason to change.
      9.10 was supposed to be the most buggy Ubuntu release ever, there are still bugs that have not been fixed. I kept 9.04 which I really liked and never upgraded to 9.10. Now that I've skipped 9.10 I'm going to upgrade to 10.04 which is really nice.
      if you find the 9.04 version as reliable, I don't see any reason to change.
      The problem is that support for 9.04 will end this November. It would be best for I Shooter to get 10.04 now and have it supported for 3 years.
      I did and installed ubuntu 9.04. Every thing went just as it should. All is well with this install.  Life is good. ;D ;D Now if I up date this ubuntu to the latest then I think it will all quit working like last time. ???
      Now I would try to install 10.04 from your CD. When installing just tell it to format the drive (assuming Ubuntu is the only OS on this drive) and install 10.04 on it. You could upgrade to 9.10 and then to 10.04 but this is not the recommended way to do this. You are better off doing a "clean install" of 10.04 onto your computer. And it might be a safe idea to try this with another CD drive.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
        The only reason I can see to change is because it's only supported for about one  more year, that is 9.04. I like it better than what I saw of the new one, 10 what ever. That is the only reason I can see to up grade, is the support. If it isn't supported you can't get up dates for stuff if you have to do a reinstall like I just had to. I have a question. How do you reset the text size. I found it be for. This time I am having no luck finding it.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
        The only reason I can see to change is because it's only supported for about one  more year, that is 9.04. I like it better than what I saw of the new one, 10 what ever. That is the only reason I can see to up grade, is the support. If it isn't supported you can't get up dates for stuff if you have to do a reinstall like I just had to. I have a question. How do you reset the text size. I found it be for. This time I am having no luck finding it.
        9.04 is only support for 6-7 more months. I don't what you did not like about 10.04, is it the theme or something? Actually to be honest I'm perfectly happy with my 9.04 right but I am going to switch to 10.04 this month because 9.04 is almost at end of life.  I'd try installing 10.04 like I mention in the last post with a different cd drive if you have one.

To change font size: go to System>Preferences>Appearance. Click to Fonts tab.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
          I will give it a try with my other computer and with CD-R and let you know how it goes. Thank you much for your help.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
            It didn't work. I down loaded the 10.04 to the desk top and burned it to a CD. I got the same error message when I tried to install it. That was on a hole different system. Faster CPU, faster ram and a Sony DVD. I guess I will just buy it from On-Disk. I don't know why I can't make it work by down loading it.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
            « Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
            Do you have a RAID controller?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
              Not on this computer. I do have raid on the mother board on the other computer. I still get the same error message on both. I think I am making a bad down load. I don't think it has any thing to do with the two computers.The same thing is happening to both. That is in less it has some thing to do with my router or connection. Then I down load other stuff from the same connection and don't have any problems. I don't know. I ordered 10.4 from On-Disk. If that don't work then I know it is the computer. Thank you much for your time.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
                The disk came in from ON-Disk. It is the Posted Ubuntu 10.4 and it didn't work. I got the ( could not start device/dev/mapper/asr_pictures-No such file or directory)so now I know that it isn't the down load or connection. I have no idea what it is. As I said before it comes when it asks for what lay out of the key board. I changed the key board to PS/2 and the mouse to PS/2 ( They were usb.) That didn't help. I have no idea what to do from here. 9.4 works fine. That is what I am using now. I had no problems installing it or working on it. Well after I cleaned the disk. Any one have any ideas?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »
                  I also ordered a new copy of linux Mint. That didn't work, I got the same error message as with Ubuntu and Ubuntu for net books. There has to be some thing about this computer that it don't like. Then why will the old stuff work?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »
                  Just  a guess.
                  Video graphics.
                  Can you install with just the built in Video?