Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nasty W7 surprise...  (Read 4201 times)

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Nasty W7 surprise...
    « on: May 06, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »
    Have a PC and a laptop and on both this morning I got a warning from MS that I was using counterfit non-genuine W7 software!!!!
    I bloody well paid for both OS's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else who got this sick joke when W7 started up???????? Up to yesterday no complaints from MS.... ::)

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Nasty W7 surprise...
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
    Did you buy the retail version or did it come with new computers?

If you bought the retail version phone MS, and if it came with new computers phone the manufacturer.  They can get it straightened out for you.
    Evil is an exact science.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
    What type of warning (how did you get it and exactly what did it say)?

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
      Normal upstart and before the flowerscreen came up with the usual W7 Welcome, the black screen stayed a bit too long and then the warning came up: Microsoft Message: the system discovered you are running counterfeit software. Please use genuine Microsoft Software....than 2 options: how to obtain genuine software and the other cancel, which I of course used after having told Uncle Billy what I thought of him and his former company.....in PLAIN Dutch...hahahahahahaha...yesterday nothing was "wrong"...PC and Laptop checked for 3 days ago and no security breaches....so no hackers nor spyware....and the event happened during the start-up sequence with no Internet connection.

Bought the retail UK english version(so not the norwegian one...), have the receipt...lol... ;D

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
        Normal upstart and before the flowerscreen came up with the usual W7 Welcome, the black screen stayed a bit too long and then the warning came up: Microsoft Message: the system discovered you are running counterfeit software. Please use genuine Microsoft Software....than 2 options: how to obtain genuine software and the other cancel, which I of course used after having told Uncle Billy what I thought of him and his former company.....in PLAIN Dutch...hahahahahahaha...yesterday nothing was "wrong"...PC and Laptop checked for 3 days ago and no security breaches....so no hackers nor spyware....and the event happened during the start-up sequence with no Internet connection.

Bought the retail UK english version(so not the norwegian one...), have the receipt...lol... ;D...DVD is a genuine MS disc with the same holographic stuff as other MS OS-discs, same "genuine stamps" on it too and the shop is one of Norway's most respected ones..(just to take away some arguments....but I feel pi...off...)

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
        Were there any security seals on the package?

I definitely recommend phoning MS though, that's something they can fix for you.
        Evil is an exact science.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »

Bought the retail UK english version(so not the norwegian one...), have the receipt...lol... ;D...DVD is a genuine MS disc with the same holographic stuff as other MS OS-discs, same "genuine stamps" on it too and the shop is one of Norway's most respected ones..(just to take away some arguments....but I feel pi...off...)

Started the W7 for a second time and now the warning didnt appear??!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »
          If it happens again just follow Quantos' advice and contact MS.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »
            ok, thanks guys.... ;D maybe Uncle Billy discovered that I had replaced XP with Linux????? on a separate partition though..hahahaha ;D. Or that he is pi..off that I only have freeware on this W7......only MS= W7...lol...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
            It's malware.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
              Nope. No Malware. Machines were checked the day before and declared clean and were not used until this event occurred. Even more: 2 of my pals had the same experience.... ::)

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 06:17:13 AM »
              So 3 people have all recieved the counterfiet error message ? ?
              Hmmmm...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "