Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Mult (Octapus)  (Read 2343 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    USB Mult (Octapus)
    « on: May 09, 2010, 11:55:12 AM »
    My PC has 4 USB receptacles on the back plug panel.  I have a keyboard and a mouse which instead of the old round plugs/sockets (which I also have), are USB.  Add a printer and a card reader, and now all 4 USB ports are used.

I have need for 1 or 2 additional USB ports.  Is there such a thing as a USB Mult?  One cable to a PC USB port and four additional sockets?  If so, what do they call it?  My searches of Tiger Direct and others have come up empty.  I might have not used the correct terminology.

Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

Salmon Trout

Re: USB Mult (Octapus)
    « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:35:13 PM »
    I have need for 1 or 2 additional USB ports.  Is there such a thing as a USB Mult?  One cable to a PC USB port and four additional sockets?  If so, what do they call it?  My searches of Tiger Direct and others have come up empty.  I might have not used the correct terminology.

Called a USB hub.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
      As Allan has pointed you to there are copious types and quantities of these devices available. If my memory (sometimes shaky) serves me correctly it is possible to expand to something like 128 additional USB hubs. One item you might wish to consider depending on the hardware device that you intend to add to your new USB ports is whether to purchase a powered usb hub or a non powered one. Some devices will not have sufficient power if plugged into a non powered extension.truenorth

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • My pal Sharky
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
        Thank you all!  It's so much easier when you use the right terminology - HUB.  I was beating (searching) away with MULT and MULTI and getting nowhere.   ;D

Also I couldn't spell OCTOPUS correctly.