Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: extra memory or slave  (Read 5939 times)

Gpfuson

Topic Starter

Rookie

extra memory or slave
    « on: May 13, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »
    I have a compaq presario that was running windows 95 and the himem.sys was erased and it wont start windows. But know I have a compaq desktop pro that is running win 2000 pro service pack 2. I would like to know if there is any way of using the newer one to get the info off of the older one or can it be used for some type of extra memory. And how. I know there both ancient but there mine. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: extra memory or slave
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
    For Windows 95: When Starting Windows 95... appears on the screen, press F8. The Windows 95 Startup Menu appears.

Select "Command Prompt only" and press Enter. The system starts to a DOS Command Prompt.

Locate and see if there is another copy of HIMEM.SYS file on the hard drive by entering the following command:
    DIR HIMEM.SYS /S

Common locations for it are:
    C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\HIMEM.SYS
    C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\HIMEM.SYS

Change to the Windows program folder. For example, if the name of the folder is \WINDOWS, enter:
    CD WINDOWS

or if the name of the folder is \WIN95, enter:
    CD WIN95

Copy the HIMEM.SYS file to the Windows program folder. For example, if you found HIMEM.SYS in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\ folder, enter the following command from the Windows program folder:
    COPY C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\HIMEM.SYS

or if you found the file in the C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1 folder, enter the following command from the Windows program folder:
    COPY C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\HIMEM.SYS

Restart the computer.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade