Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network experts , help me plz  (Read 9637 times)

kanaan

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Re: Network experts , help me plz
    « Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
    I am just asking to know if there is some way to do that  lets find out wot merlyn got maybe he know  something  ???
    Be happy 4 this moment this moment is ur live

Merlyn

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »
    no problem if i am bothering u  just tell me to knock off
    and again thanx alot

You are not bothering me, i just don't know Windows 7 very well...

First you say if the OP needs information about how to lengthen the wireless range you can help with that - then you say you were afraid you'd ask and you don't know the answer. What are you up to?

I DO NOT KNOW WINDOWS 7 VERY WELL  :(

kanaan - there is no way I know of to lengthen the range without additional hardware. And you cannot use two cards in one system at the same time. I'm not sure what Merlyn has in mind, but unless he is actually a magician you're going to be out of luck.

Be ready to be amazed :)

If "Kaanan" is saying that he/she has 2 wireless network adapters... well then it is possible to lengthen the wireless range :D

I am just asking to know if there is some way to do that lets find out wot merlyn got maybe he know  something  ???

As above.. I do know something... Welcome to wireless networks:D

Allan take notes:

In windows 7 there is a small icon usually in the "notification bar" there is an icon with your network connections. In that tab if you bring it up it will say "manage wireless connections" click that.

in the window that comes up on the left you will see "manage network adapters" click that

Then on the adapter that is connected to your wireless router you will see that it is connected. right click on it and select properties.

in the properties there will be a tab at the top called "sharing"

You will then see a "tick box" saying share this network (or something along those lines) tick the box.

save all setting and config etc...

then in the network and sharing center click on make a new connection

Click on make a wireless ADHOC network.

Give the network an SSID and a password

Note: you need to use the other adapter that is NOT connected to the router,

This will then hopefully create a network that you can use.

Thank you Allan... but don't doubt people before you experience their knowledge.

I hope that i have helped you kanaan.

Merlyn.

If you require any additional info please don't hesitate to contact me

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
    How does that help extend the range of the network? And he STILL cannot use one card to send and one card to receive.

So far you proven nothing except that you don't know what you are talking about.

Merlyn

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 04:37:31 PM »
    SMART ARSE... READ PREVIOUS POSTS...

ALSO THAT DOES EXTEND WIRELESS COVERAGE

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
    No, it doesn't. And watch your mouth.

Merlyn

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
    Seriouly... HAVE YOU TRIED IT?

Also I didn't swear i am expressing how much you contradicting me is getting on my nerves.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
    There's nothing to try. Creating a second shadow network does not increase either the strength of the signal nor the ability to receive that signal over disatance.

And somehow I'm going to have to try to live with your displeasure over my contradicting your false claims.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
    And somehow I'm going to have to try to live with your displeasure over my contradicting your false claims.

You'll just have to go on... live day by day...

All it does is transform the computer into an access point- with severe limitations.

I might also point out that you can do this same thing with XP, Vista... and, if the manufacturers network adapter software doesn't suck, windows 2000.

unlike a router, however, a wireless card set to ad hoc mode does not establish a relationship as a router does- a router essentially maintains "control" of the network- an ad hoc network between devices has no master device, they all communicate in a large happy peer 2 peer network. Ideally, the goal is that communicating with device B from Device A means going through whatever devices are between the two in order to get the signal across.

By themselves, for example, Device A and Device B may be, say, 100 feet apart, but they have very week transceivers (or some other equally contrived issue) that means they cannot establish a connection. By communicating through other devices, they can communicate using full signals.

Of course, this is only the ideal situation. the reality is that manufacturers don't always create 100% compatible network cards and they all have their own definition of what the best way to go about the network communication is. So as you add devices you essentially just end up creating a shouting match between the wireless devices, where each device is trying to impose it's will on the others.

As you can see in this beautiful diagram I made in flash:

Note that the router connects wirelessly to ChucksPC, ILOVEROCKYROAD, and moarspeed.

moarspeed has a second network card, and has a ad hoc network with burlapsack,I_IZ_IN_DE_HALL, and thomas the printer (which is a printer, if you are just joining us).

Now-  moarspeed can easily bridge the two networks- but, because of the nature of the ad hoc network, none of the other devices care- or even know- about it. I_IZ_IN_DE_HALL doesn't know that it needs to connect to moarspeed to access the internet. Basically it just broadcasts the request and eventually moarspeed bridges the connection and sends that request to the router, the router fetches it, and then moarspeed broadcasts the results back over it's little p2p network. I_IZ_IN_DE_HALL picks up on this and accepts the data.

and this is of course assuming all the devices are getting along. Perhaps Thomas the printer accidentally adds an extra CR character after every LF whenever it rebroadcasts a message. maybe it doesn't even re-broadcast at all, meaning it's a dead leaf. Whatever happens, these devices are not part of the network established by the router, nor does their method of communicating with one another look anything like the router-clients map that would be most useful when you have a single device offering access to a wider area network- that device is considered to be "in charge" and takes care of communications between each device. in this case, all the computers in that network are considered peers, they share and exchange information as they wish.

unlike the router's network, where ILOVEROCKYROAD would need to communicate with ChucksPC by sending the data to the router, the devices are free to communicate with whatever they please. printing to a network printer attached to a router, means communicating with the router. But, in the ad hoc network, they just communicate as they please.

Of course, in the ideal world where network protocols are agreed on by all devices and thomas the printer doesn't have a secret plot to strip out all linefeed characters before it passes along the information (or any other number of unintended quirks), then yes. It would increase the network range, Once you bridged the connections. I believe that is now handled automatically now in 7. Otherwise the ad hoc network and the router are completely segregated.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:53 AM »
      mhelsby is confused.

kanaan - You can't make one send info and the other receive. But why would you want to do that? Having a faster network won't do anything at all to make your internet faster.

Uh, yes you can.

You just need to know what you're doing with default gateways and static routes.

kanaan

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »

If "Kaanan" is saying that he/she has 2 wireless network adapters... well then it is possible to lengthen the wireless range :D

Actually i dont have 2 wireless adapters i have 1 wireless and the other one is for cabel
        do i need tow wireless adapters or i can do it with one ??
        btw  i am a man   ;) ;)
        Thanx alot
        Be happy 4 this moment this moment is ur live

Sid

Apprentice
          « Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »

Actually i dont have 2 wireless adapters i have 1 wireless and the other one is for cabel
          do i need tow wireless adapters or i can do it with one ??
          btw  i am a man   ;) ;)
          Thanx alot

The only way you're going to be able to "extend" your wifi coverage with this setup is to run a cable from the router to the ethernet port on your laptop into the area you plan to provide your wifi for.

If you're going to do that, taking into account cable segment lengths, then you might as well just use a switch at the end of the cable and make a proper wired LAN.

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »
          Uh, yes you can.

You just need to know what you're doing with default gateways and static routes.

Then why don't you give instructions on how to do it?
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

Sid

Apprentice
            « Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
            Then why don't you give instructions on how to do it?

In this situation the process is identical to creating a router, in that there needs to be a machine that bridges both networks that other machines can use as a gateway.

As far as setting up a machine so it responds from a different network connection, all you have to do is set the default gateway on the connection you wish the traffic to be sent from.

So, lets assume the following example:

Internet --- Pc1 --- LAN1

Let's say we assign the default gateway on the connection to the internet, if we send traffic to that machine from LAN1, without any static routes setup on Pc1 to LAN1, the information will come in the LAN1 connection and then be sent out the Internet connection.

I hope my explaination is clear enough.  If not I can try to re-word it.

Merlyn

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
            isn't that a wired connection?

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
            Isn't this a two and a half week old thread?