Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk  (Read 20245 times)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk
    « on: July 17, 2005, 11:34:16 AM »
    Urgent need to resolve this problem which renders Scan Disk inoperable:

After some 15 hours scanning (1.5 million bytes), box appeared: "Cannot continue because a program such as disk utility has locked this drive. Close the program or wait for it to finish then restart Scan Disk".
    No idea which utility or how to correct it.

Meanwhile I have found and downloaded EMSA DISK CHECK. In 20 minutes it scanned some 4.8 billion bytes on C drive. Found 1 error: c:\Windows\win386.SMP.

Unfortunately e.systems.ro offers no Support so I know  not how to correct the error -- whether or not it is the culprit Disk Utility locking MSN Scan Disk.

Look forward to your help!

Cordially,  RO

RO

Raptor

Re: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 12:05:17 PM »
    Scan in safe mode.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »
      Thanks Raptor for prompt reply.
      Please excuse my inexperience and provide path to do the Safe Mode scan.

After doing so, will I then be able to use the normal Scan Disk? Will I ever know which disk utility was the culprit,  cause of it locking or how to get rid of it?

I'd also welcome your comments on the ESMA DISK CHECK program, and its results.

Cordially,   RO
      RO

merlin_2

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
      So far, I have only used scandisk to verify the integrity of Hard Disk Drives when these were reformatted.

The steps to Safe mode;

1. Before Windows loads, press F8
      2. Select Safe mode and press Enter.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 05:57:26 PM »
      Just curious what is your operating system......?win98 is it?

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 07:20:15 AM »
        Code: [Select]

Thank you Merlin_2 for both replies.
        The KB article at first glance was all I needed! Unfortunately, not so. First it's for Melinium edition and second I do not have Speed Disk of Norton, only their anti-virus.

What really bothers me is for several years Scan Disk has run routinely (some 4 1/2 million bytes). What has caused this change I wish I knew.

Yes, I'm on W98SE, 192 mb, IEv6; Toshiba Protege  7200CTe  laptop.

Cordially,  RO

RO

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:34:55 PM »
          Scan in safe mode.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 04:05:41 PM »
          You may have chosen the wrong option in the scandisk program.....and chose the thorough....option......reboot pc.....run disk cleanup and defrag.....or go to the hardrive....mainsite and test the drive....maxblast/seagate etc......scandisk may have encountered a bad block/ sector....
          « Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 04:07:15 PM by merlin_2 »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 12:53:44 AM »
            Thank you, Fed & Merlin_2.

Re FED: Aside from inexperience with Safe Mode, the KB article referred to in earlier reply, specifically says the problem also exists in Safe Mode.

Re Merlin_2: I always use THOROUGH plus checking auto correct errors. I run CleanUp & Defrag daily.   Unsure how to Test Drive but will access Maxblast & Seagate, never mind  ETC!

I would appreciate your  comments re the substitute Scan Disk program from e-systems.com: DiskCheck 1057

Also the one error its scan showed: c:\\Windows\win386.SMP.
            What and where (path) can I do about it?
            Should it be deleted or repaired?

Cordially,
            RO

Fed

• Sage
              « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 01:19:14 AM »
              Safe Mode will only start your computer with the bare essentials.
              http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm
              Why don't you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and see what this dreaded disk locker is?

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 06:54:17 AM »
              Have you change any hardware.<adapters>...the nearest check is c:\windows \win386\msmp 401 is a an adapter driver<c:\windows\system\drivers>......i will have another look when i fire   up the old pc .<win98> i would try diskkeeper lite.......and  here is some more things to do with your pc>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-gb;835834
              « Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 06:55:49 AM by merlin_2 »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 03:39:26 PM »
                [/quote/]
                Hi FED: Much as I've used CTRL/ALT/DELETE it did not occur to me to use it when ScanDisk locks. This may well go a long way to resolving the problem.
                When it is named will End Task be sufficient to cure for all times
                Howstuffworks verty worthwhile. Thanks.

Hi Merlin_2: Don't even know what hardware adaptors arer, much less having added any.
                Your referrence to c:\w...\win386... seems to be the one error that came up on the DiskCheck progtam I mentioned above. Unsure what to do with it, and the other websites in your message very confusing. Hopefully you'll get back to me as indicated. Thank you.

Cordially,  RO
                RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »
                  Additional to Merlin_2s
                  Forgot to thank you for the 125 Tipd for W98. Very good!

Also, Maxblast only sells thongs, but Seagate a real find. I downloaded one of their Disk Checks programs on diskette. Ran it on all three disks listed. All Passed.

Cordially,  RO

RO

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »
                  Good ...the file mentioned is not related to win98 so just do this tools/internet options/adavanced.....scroll down and untick the display script error notification box....

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 03:50:04 AM »

Hi Merlin_2 and again many thanks.
                    Much progress at last but first you should know I found "Display notification about every script error" already unchecked.
                    On Scan Disk at message locked, Ctrl-Alt-Del listed 12 items, none of which had "not responding":
                    Scan Disk (C)
                    Quick Launch
                    Msnmsgr
                    TaskBaricon
                    ZIclient
                    Imapp
                    Wandadoo_Booster
                    Rundll
                    Dkservice
                    Vptray
                    Pwrtray
                    Systray.
                    So did End Task all but the last two without problem except Quick Launch brought up "Chosen close toolbar window.  To add toolbar rt click existing toolbar, point to toolbars click item".  No idea what that' all about. Disregarded;  no toolbar changes occurred.
                    OK, WHEN REOPENED SCAN DISK Thorough, IT RAN ROUTINELY AND SCANNED ALL 1,471,000 CLUSTERS IN ABOUT TWO HOURS. NO LOCKING; NO ERRORS.
                    DELIGHTED TO HAVE IT FUNCTION TO COMPLETION UNINTERRUPTEDLY . Any comments? Would very much like to know which Utility caused the problem and how else to get rid of it. And why it appeared in the first place as never did before.
                    Cordially,  RO
                    PS: The lone "error" c:\\windows\win 386.SMP: should I delete it when it is shown at Disk Check?
                    RO

Raptor

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 04:57:33 AM »
                    Wandadoo_Booster

What is this? Have you scanned for spyware before your problem occured?

merlin_2

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 12:39:22 PM »
                    I see rod that you also with the crazy frog isp??<f/s>i would advise that you should get a firewall like sysgate....are you networking this pc....what are you using.....?56k/

Fed

• Sage
                      « Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 02:28:08 PM »
                      What is all that junk running for!  :o
                      You could get a performance improvement by fixing it.
                      My computer starts with 0 applications running.  ;)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hi and hope not Re: Win386.SWP not part of Win98SE
                        « Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 03:04:39 PM »
                        Hi and hope your patience is not exhausted.

1. You mention c:\windows\win386.SWP as not belonging on W98SE.  This file plus  c:\windowsinternetlogs\fwpktlog.txt
                        are the only errors  (described as Permission Denied)after scan by EMSA DISK SCAN.

2. Selecting HELP produces box: File not included.
                        Further there is an understandable notation: Support is not available for free downloads.

So I need to know how to get rid of them (and in future, any others that come up). Whether inside or outside the progtam, how do I do it?

3. FYI, MSN ScanDisk Thorough goes to "Complete" long before scanning the total 1.4 million clusters. Why so? I was letting it run to see if again "Disk utility locked..."appears. If it had, as earlier reported, emptying Ctrl/Alt/Del except for Sys & Pwr trays+restart lets it run to conclusion.

Will appreciate your instructions/comments.

Cordially,  RO
                        RO

merlin_2

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »
                        Another option is this......go to start/programs/accessories////ms-dos prompt.....now after c:\>windows.....type.........scanreg/restore........  a splash will appear......with options .....chose the last good cab file.....>like cab file started on xyz day......chose the nearest one before you had problems....windows will do the rest......

Fed

• Sage
                          « Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 03:22:16 PM »
                          Download & run 'Autoruns' from
                          http://www.sysinternals.com/
                          After you open it, under 'Options' set it to 'Hide Microsoft Entries' and then refresh the screen.
                          The remaining programs will be non-windows programs & you should know what each & every one is.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »
                            OK, guys. Again did not get notice of any of the 3 20JUL05 postings. So:

RAPTOR: Yes, ran Spyware prior to the ScanDisk.

FED: Unsure about all the StartUp "junk". At least some are required, ISP/MSN/ZA /Booster/Norton/ plus IncrediMail for use when cannot get Online. Electric light bulb/1024x768.. color/bytes recf & sent/IntelSpeed are here without insertion by me.

MERLIN_2: I know what you mean, crazy frog isp, but not <f/s>i.

Bewitching hour of midnight having passed  I'll go through the 22JUL05 instructions tomorrow and advise. Seem like good ideas, but allow me to repeat question no one answered yet: On the Ctrl/Alt/D method of avoiding the LOCKED.. ..Utility Disk, WHICH IS THE CULPRIT inasmuch as there is NO Not Responding item.

Appreciate your help.     Cordially,  RO
                            RO

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 04:29:24 PM »
                            Crazy frog= wanadoo..... :) go to the add/remove and dump this >EMSA DISK CHECK. first.....and search for the folders that still lurk in the system..!...or download system mechanic.......and clean the junk out of the reg....stick with the scandisk program> win98/xp pro/win2003 sever.....tried and tested since the days of win3.1 and still used  today just renamed......chdsk......
                            « Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:30:45 PM by merlin_2 »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

Solutions ScanDisk Utility locking
                              « Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 12:43:28 AM »
                              Good morning, Merlim_2:
                              Have no intention of dropping regular MSN ScanDisk, simply still trying to identify utility locking plus cause/cure.

Too cheap to buy System Mechanic , but note many similat free/shareware, such as Registry Cleaner v4.1 -- but does that dup PCPitstop Optimizer already bought?
                              Clean System Directory v1.7/System Cleaner v4.97? Your opinion needed.

NOTE still not mentioned action on the two Windows system "permission denied" I have asked about several times!

Now I am reluctant to remove the ESMA  ScanDisk  unless you say I must do so.  At this time it is only working disk scanner operating normally.

Re your kind Reply #20, at Accessories there is no ms-dos prompt on W98SE.

Back to you!           Cordially,  RO
                              RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 12:48:10 AM »
                                Good morning, FED:
                                With regard to your kind Reply #21, at the referenced sysinternals website I do not find OPTIONS anywhere. Searched various other topics but without success.

Where is it? (W98SE)    Cordially,
                                RO

Fed

• Sage
                                  « Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 12:52:37 AM »
                                  Ya gotta learn to read the screen rodell.  :D
                                  Read my post above carefully, specially the underlined part.

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 05:22:30 AM »
                                  What is Microsoft Network (MSN) Scandisk?

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »
                                    OK, FED, but ya gotta learn to be more specific!
                                    Just what post (by number, please -- as I specified in my reply) are you referring to?
                                    Searched both pages and only one of yours with underlining I found was Autoruns in Reply #21.
                                    So presume that's the one, and as I replied, OPTIONS not found.
                                    Hopefully I'll find it after you instruct me re location.
                                    Believe it or not I do appreciate your hrlp.
                                    Cordially,  RO
                                    RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 02:34:40 PM »
                                      Hi Raptor. Re your posting #27, this is what I referred to

Start to Programs to Accessories to System Tools to Scan Disk  (ThenSelect Thorough for C Drive.)

Just did it, 3 hrs which faster than usual, all the way to 1,471,000 clusters without interruption,  no errors.   BUT that was because, as previously said, I emptied everything via Ctrl/Alt/Del -- except the two system files).

1. Still do not know which Disk Utility is the culprit.
                                      2. Whether there's an easier way to resume normal operation as heretofore.
                                      3. Why the two "errors" which show from EMSA ScanDisk program don't show in the MSN Scan program
                                      4. Whether and how I should remove those two "errors" which are windows system files, as noted.

Back to you!        Cordially,  RO  
                                      RO

Raptor

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 03:15:35 PM »
                                      Could you summarize the disk utilities you have been using and what these are for?

Fed

• Sage
                                        « Reply #31 on: July 23, 2005, 03:41:48 PM »
                                        Ya gotta learn to read the screen rodell.  

OK, FED, but ya gotta learn to be more specific!

ROTFLMAO! Good one rodell.  :D
                                        I didn't realise you had a post # fetish but I'll play.
                                        (HMMM? The post #s don't show in the reply screen  :( )
                                        Posted on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 7:22am
                                        If you read the screen you will see you have to download the Autoruns program first, you won't find the Options tab at the website. The Options tab is in the program. Hopefully this will find what is locking your disk.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 12:49:06 AM »
                                          Good morning FED: Too bad I'm not up to your standards but I'm trying.

Semantics, semantics! Post # fetish it may be, but the effort is easy recognition. Reply numbers are posted although you say Post #s not shown.

So back to excellent referral, sysinternals. I'll download the 210kb Autoruns, but still not understanding OPTIONS; or how guilty utility will be identified. With some patience I hope you'll datail these items for me.
                                          Your shorthand assumes I know things I know not.

Much thanks.
                                          Cordially,  RO
                                          RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2005, 12:59:22 AM »
                                            Good morning, RAPTOR, and thanks.

So far as I know, the list I provided in Reply 15 of 230UL05 3:50am answers your question. If some are not self-explanatory as to their use, your guess is better than mine.

Related or not, I'd appreciate response to the items in my Reply 29 of 23JUL05. In particular I'd like to know if those two windows system files should be tampered with, i.e., removed.
                                            RO

Fed

• Sage
                                              « Reply #34 on: July 25, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »
                                              OK, once you download & install 'Autoruns', open the program, wait for it to finish scanning, and up at the top you will see options.
                                              Click on it and select 'Hide Microsoft signed entries'.
                                              Then click on the small refresh button, curser over it to find it.
                                              After it re-scans you will only be left with all the non-microsoft stuff.
                                              The 'everything' tab is everything that loads.
                                              The 'other' tabs are everything broken up into sections.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2005, 01:44:37 AM »
                                                Getting there, FED!
                                                No problem dowload v8.11 although miss oportunity to copy/paste.

OK,  3 items plus fonts on Options, clicked HIDE... NO REFRESH. You say "..cursor on it to find it..." So where should cursor be to accomplish that?

Unrelated, please advise program access. www.autoruns.com brings screen  asking for CD disk. My solution was to FIND then OPEN which brings zaip evaluation copy which brings desired program. Must be an easier way.

Lastly, it is a fascinating program but I have utterly no idea how to use it (putting aside discovering the Utility culprit item now being pursued). Marvelous response from HELP: "Operation completed successfully"; end of Help. SysInternals has much info but did not find what In need to understand use of Autoruns.

Again thanks.   Cordially,  RO
                                                RO

Fed

• Sage
                                                  « Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005, 01:55:50 AM »
                                                  Beside 'Options' there is a tab called 'Entry'.
                                                  Directly below the 'n' in 'Entry' there is a refresh button that has two little arrows going in a circular direction on it.
                                                  It looks the same as the refresh button in Internet Explorer.
                                                  The refresh button will refreah the screen after it finishes scanning.
                                                  That removes all the Windows stuff and leaves it easier for you to read.

Part 2.
                                                  You create a directory & unzip the program into it if my memory serves me well.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2005, 02:26:36 AM »
                                                    Followed your clear directions. Result of the Refresh after Scan did not "...Remove all Windows stuff leaving easier to read". Almost all of the categories were Windows related. Reading easier no problem to begin with! Was expecting to find few remnants but looks to me like "Everything" was there.

After solving this please remember to hopefully refer to website when usage is discussed.

Re Part 2, that Directory creation bit beyond me. What I do is go to C drive and look for Autoruns. That brings it up rather than the website requesting a CD disc.

Back to you.
                                                    Cordially,  RO
                                                    RO

Fed

• Sage
                                                      « Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 02:34:31 AM »
                                                      My dinner is ready *wave*
                                                      Is that you Flame?
                                                      Raptor, pick up the ball.  :-*

Raptor

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »
                                                      You will have to answer these questions for me, otherwise I start confusing threads.

1. You can not boot into safe mode?
                                                      2. Loading the last known good configuration does not work?
                                                      3. You can not log in and use Windows XP?
                                                      4. Have you managed to disable Scandisk?
                                                      5. What is Wandadoo_booster? Sounds like spyware.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 03:39:44 AM »
                                                        Thanks for picking up thre ball, RAPTOR. Just hope after dinner FED gets to reply to my Reply 37 of today, 25JUL.

To answer your questions:
                                                        1 Can do but don't as had bad experiences getting back, and no help whatever availabe in this small village.
                                                        2. Don't know how other than from SafeMode.
                                                        3. No; I'm on W98SE.
                                                        4. Not tried to disable ScanDisk; only want it to run OK.
                                                        5. Wanadoo is my ISP here in France. As I don't speak French it is of no use except to get Online/DialUp.
                                                        Will be glad to get back stateside, but won't happen for few more months.

Cordially,  RO
                                                        RO

Raptor

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2005, 06:20:39 AM »
                                                        c:\Windows\win386.SMP.

This file seems to be related to Windows 95/98(SE) virtual memory management. Have you recently changed these settings?

It may find errors there, because the swap file could have become corrupted. You should rebuild it by removing and reinitializing it. (Do not remove it by deleting it manually, unless Microsoft or experienced users have told you so)

I can not explain how, as I have never changed virtual memory settings in Windows 95/98(SE). Only in Windows XP Home & Professional.

You may, however, find information in the http://www.microsoft.com database on how to rebuild or modify the swap file.
                                                        « Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 06:24:15 AM by Raptor »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2005, 08:46:54 AM »
                                                          Much obliged Raptor.
                                                          All that is way beyond me, particularly so here in the boondocks.
                                                          For now I'll just use the eliminations in Ctrl/Alt/Del which allows ScanDisk to run all the way ununterupted by any Utility locking it.
                                                          That other ScanDisk program is of some interest just to see what errors it finds (i.e., Permssion Denied, and who knows what that means!).

Still disconcerting not to get notice of replies despite clicking the "Check if wish to be notified...".

Cordially,  RO
                                                          RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2005, 09:40:02 AM »
                                                            Raptor, this responds to your other 23JUL05 messages just found and about which I just emailed you.

vsmui is blank. What it says is it is for notice of more recent list W98SE.

No resvr32 icon.

Where is the Browse.. add folder... etc.?

Cordially,  RO
                                                            RO

Raptor

Re: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Dis
                                                            « Reply #44 on: July 25, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »
                                                            Raptor, this responds to your other 23JUL05 messages just found and about which I just emailed you.

vsmui is blank. What it says is it is for notice of more recent list W98SE.

No resvr32 icon.

Where is the Browse.. add folder... etc.?

Cordially,  RO

Could you quote the text you are replying to?
                                                            I find it hard to remember exactly what I wrote and having to keep looking it up makes this topic all the more confusing as I am not even sure if I understand your problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »
                                                            Easy as pie.......load the win98 msoft install disk.....chose the browse option from the menu.....you will then see a folder called add/ons.......click it.....now you will see the pws folder......click it.......scroll down the page till you come across a icon called setup.....if you clicked this icon it will re-installed win98 without file loss!
                                                            ========================================
                                                            Or the other options all ready given were this at the msdos prompt
                                                            A:\SCANREG/FIX
                                                            A:\>SCANREG/RESTORE      now you have the control just do it...

Fed

• Sage
                                                              « Reply #46 on: July 25, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
                                                              Problem 1.
                                                              disk utility has locked this drive

Problem 2.
                                                              Found 1 error: c:\Windows\win386.SMP.

I am only dealing with Problem 1 at the moment.
                                                              Clear?
                                                              It seems that you have a program running that locks your drive.
                                                              After opening Auto runs, hiding the signed Microsoft entries and then refreshing, you should be able to pick out the disk locking program either by it's name or by right clicking on each program & selecting Google or Properties.
                                                              The end.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 10:46:54 AM »
                                                                Raptor I can only agree with you as to all the messages. Here where  Replies are composed at least all four pages are displayed on the one page. But not at the Posting! That's better than copy/paste which is impractical. So to summarize:

Your last one, #44, to which this is Reply, has quote from me re vsmui & resvr32, neither of which I could handle as per that message.

My #43, 25JUL replies to your #30,23JUL.
                                                                My #40, 25JUL replies to your #39,25JUL.
                                                                My #33 & #15 ask about possible removal of the two Windows sys files that show "permission denied = error.

I feel this puts you to too much trouble and you have contributed more than anyone can reasonably expect.
                                                                I'll make do with the work-around; please drop me -- IF and UNTIL I come up with another lulu!

Thank you once again.  Cordially,  RO
                                                                RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
                                                                  Thank you, FED.
                                                                  At "The End", credits are due, and I want to express my appreciation for your patience as well as your help.
                                                                  Cordially,   RO
                                                                  RO

Raptor

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
                                                                  It would be best if you were to simply quote what you are responding to. That saves us a lot of scrolling back and forth as we have more posts to read than just yours. It may be easier for you, but the harder you make it for us, the less eager I am going to be to respond.

I can not find many articles relating to Windows 98 and virtual memory, here are a few noteworthy ones:

Win386.swp File Is Moved When You Set a Custom Virtual Memory Size
                                                                  -- This is how I found out that the damaged file is related to virtual memory

WWindows Is Unstable After Disabling Virtual Memory

Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0 Can Share Virtual Memory

Here you may discover how to rebuild your virtual memory file.

Good luck, I can not find any more information in the Microsoft.com database. Perhaps a member who has got experience with Windows 98 virtual memory can assist you.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2005, 01:58:16 PM »
                                                                    You are certainly right, Raptor, and excuse the extra effort I caused.

I have checked each of your references and have no excuse not to have done so before posting.

Truth to tell, I have no idea of VirtualMemory/Swapping/Corruption of Win386SWP.
                                                                    Presume problem caused inadvertently, but whether it was or not, it will remain among the multitude of computereze with which I am unfamiliar. In my own defence, these things can best be dealt with person-to-person. Here in a small French village, language aside, that is not possible.

Cordially,  RO
                                                                    RO

merlin_2

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2005, 02:15:06 PM »
                                                                    C drive. Found 1 error: c:\Windows\win386.SMP. rod

or is it this one!>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000358.htm

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2005, 11:52:54 PM »
                                                                      Morning, Merlin_2:
                                                                      It's the "one error" message. Your Ref CH000358 covers the subject thoroughly, but I'm lost there, not having involved myself in anything to do with SWAP, etc. It is simply something that came up as an error -- however/wherever I know not.

Lost in the shuffle of messages is the one where I reported on vsmui. The box came up blank, i.e., no files listed. I also noted it said this was where updates or changed numbers, etc., appeared. To me that was not concerned with bad files.

Again thanks. Keep the faith!

Cordially,  RO
                                                                      RO

merlin_2

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 09:45:34 PM »
                                                                      And the update so far rod is what!