Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access XP machine shared docs  (Read 21811 times)

Raptor

Re: Can't access XP machine shared docs
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2005, 03:24:29 PM »
Be certain that the machines not being seen in the DHCP client list are not blocking the router with a firewall.

Add the router (192.168.2.1) to the safe zone list and see if this allows the DHCP client list to detect the computer.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »
My routers IP has always been 192.168.2.1

AHA! we may finaly be getting someplace! I went into my router via the IP and it shows only FOUR computers, apperantly it cannot assigne DHCP to those on the hub! ...Only shared documents on the XPH is inaccessable. And the XPH can access the 98s shared docs, it just doesnt work FROM the 98 TO the XPH.

If the 4 computers on the hub are not listed, nothing is ever going to work right.  My router assigns IPs to all those on the hub.  Is there a page in your router that says:
DHCP Server - enabled
Starting IP Address - 192.168.2.1
Number of DHCP Users - 10 (or more)

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Wait a minute...
Nevermind. Apperantly thats only active dhcp cliens (thats what it calls it, i have no idea what it means so don't ask lol). Now it only shows 2. Man this is soooo complicated. I may try merlins suggestion and start over from scratch.

As for finding a place where the router lists all DHCP clients, no i can't find one. It does say DHCP is enabled however.

On the Modem however it does give a start and end DHCP aderss (weird) Does this mean my modem AND router are trying to do DHCP?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 04:07:37 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »
Concentrate on the router.
You said it was a "...Black Box ummm something something something 5 port router with print server function..."

Is this it?

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »
No, srry. Didn't realize you needed specifics. Its a lr9603a actualy. if you go here:

http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/Templates/blackbox/mainscreen.asp and then hit the search button and do a search for the "lr9603a" it will come up with it. Mine is the usb version so it doesn't look exactly like the one shown (doesn't have the fancy silver thingy on it).

Oh, and my bad, I said it was a five port router when its realy a 4 port plus a WAN port.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:01:31 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »
I would chose option 3

3: A sledge hammer                                                        
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:07:02 PM by merlin_2 »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
Lol, thing is merlin I don't know WHICH one to sledgehammer!

merlin_2

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Before we end up with a harry potter book on pcs networking platform 3/4.........i would move one of win98 pc....thats not working to the one thats is....process of elimination.....logic... if this works....and do the same with the next one etc.....this will prove the net setting are out ....on the two win98..........i would place one of the winxp pcs in the middle.....after the hub...but thats me.....

Computer_Commando

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2005, 05:28:41 PM »
That's pretty cheap for a BlackBox.  I assume you didn't buy it.  Very few people have heard of them, unless you're an engineer.  All their stuff is expensive.  I'm just wondering who makes it for them.
Something is wrong with the router setup or the router hardware.  Try plugging the hub into a different port.  Also, try different hub ports, maybe the one you're using is partially blown out (probably why it was free).  I  assume there is no online manual for the router.  Most routers are similar but not identical.

BTW, your network configuration is valid and should work.  Mine is identical.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:35:29 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
Ok, Merlin and commando

I have moved the hub to a differant port on the router and it did't help. I have plugged both the 98s that are having trouble into the router directally and it didn't help. I have tried moving all the computers plugged into the hub to differant ports on the hub and it didn't help.

More of nothing I'm afraid.

As for why this hub was free it was a gift from a friend who got it from a chemical company that was going out of buisness.

Also wouldn't it be kinda weird to be able to browse every other machine's shared docs FROM the machines on the hub EXCEPT the two troublesome 98s that can't browse the XPH?

And why can the third 98 on the hub browse the XPH even after swapping ports around?

Not to mention the two 98s that are having trouble browsing the shared docs on the XPH can get on the internet, and even play LAN games with the XPH!

AND the XPH --CAN-- see the shared docs on the two 98s that are being so contrary!

:o !!!

This is so mind blowing.

I also have a linux machine on the hub now, and irony of ironies, EVEN IT can get on the shared docs of the XPH!

I think its software.

If this keeps up I think I may finaly know what to use the sledgehammer on...

MYSELF!!! lol

(note I am by no menas angry with anyone here. I capitolized certain things to stress the point. I'm not even angry with the problem. tired mentaly YES! And after 50-some-odd posts here I am quite ready for it to be resolved ;D lol. )
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:16:00 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »
What type of firewalls are installed?

Have you tried adding your Router (192.168.2.1) to the safe/trusted zone (Not Internet zone) of whatever firewall you are using?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:56:59 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2005, 06:02:19 PM »
I have moved the hub to a differant port on the router and it did't help. I have plugged both the 98s that are having trouble into the router directally and it didn't help. I have tried moving all the computers plugged into the hub to differant ports on the hub and it didn't help

I assume you restarted the computers after reconnecting?  Or ipconfig release, renew?  
Are all on the same workgroup, named "Workgroup"?

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
No good. tryed restrating MULTIPLE times on both the XPH and one of the 98s (the one that had the firewall) with BOTH the firewalls (the one on the XPH and the 98 ) off and with the 98 plugged DIRECTLY into the router.

no change.

The firewalls are norton firewall on the XPH (the windows firewall IS turned off while the norton firewall is on) and a sygate free eddition firewall on the 98. (the other 98 that is having trouble has no firewall)

Well I think that does it for me for tonight. I might be back on sunday I might not, all depends. But I WILL probly be back on monday so feel free to continue to ask questions and hopefully there will be an answer rattling around in there somewhere.

Since I'm signing off for the night I just want to say thnx to all you guys. Raptor, Commando, merlin, Doc, and anybody else I forgot! Though the results have yet to turn up, your effort is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:07:59 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:34:39 PM by merlin_2 »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2005, 11:25:38 AM »
AHA!!! IT WORKED!! IT WOR.... Wait a minute... No it didn't.

It worked for one restart on the 98.2, then after installing the netBEUI on the 98.3 and restarting the 98.2, the 98.3 and the XPH, the 98.2 could not get on the XPH's shared docs any more. AND the 98.3 STILL cant get on the XPH even with the netBEUI installed.

(plz note that I didn't uninstall the previouse protocalls as the article suggested, see why below.)

In an odd coincidence the 98.3 has a network everywhere NIC the same (or nearly the same) as in the article you gave me. Odd. Perhaps this is the source of all my woes. I will try unplugging the 98.3 from the network and restarting the XPH and the 98.2 and see what I can see.

Update:
AHA! AGAIN!!! Apperantly after a loooooooongggg list of things to try the 98.3 IS the culprit! I unplugged that machine and VIOLA! I can get on the XPH. Must be something with that NIC. So, a word to the wise, don't by a network everywhere NIC, it is not worth the woe.

Many many thnx again to you all! Especialy Merlin for the article that proved the final piece of the puzzle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:49:41 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »