Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Difference in Wireless G Router vs Wireless Adaptor N  (Read 3382 times)

zucccchini

Topic Starter

Difference in Wireless G Router vs Wireless Adaptor N
    « on: June 06, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »
    I have been  battling this issue for three years and its run its course.

The problem is random dropping of internet connection.  I am running three computers off same wireless router, Linksys WRT54G. The IMac and Hp laptop do not have a problem. 

The E-machine that has an installed Linksys Wireless Adaptor WMP300N is my problem.  I have re-installed the drivers or software numerous times from the Linksys site, I have disconnected their uploaded original software since the onsite forums responding about the same issues suggested using Windows install rather then the Linksys provided install disk.   Once you install this adaptor it would only operate unfailing for about a month or so then it randomly disconnects.  Since the adapter must be removed each and everytime you update or re-install, it became a real hassle, it is INSIDE the computer cabinet. I have kept track of the Linksys updates for this Adaptor and there are none.  I finally settled for it dumping me every three weeks or so with no warning, no error messages ...the browser's 'work offline' is checked and you must reboot.

It's now down to each and every time I am on the computer, two or three times.  This is my companies computer given to me to use at home.  It has all my 'stuff' on it.  I really hate to have to transfer it or continually unplug the router, (unplugging the household) and hardwiring to cable. 

I am afraid to buy a Linksys USB adaptor, easier to re-install.  The Linksys forums are full of the apparent same problem with them.  I do wish they would read their own forums and fix their stuff instead of relying on the public to de-bugg.  We all have our niche and computer guruing is not mine. 

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it.  I am even up for a recommendation on another KIND of wireless adaptor.   

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Difference in Wireless G Router vs Wireless Adaptor N
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
    Well to answer your first question...

Wireless N is newer and greater than Wireless G by all standards. It uses more bands so there is less signal lost and a longer distance range. It also costs a lot more. The limit of your ISP and network will tell you if it's worth the cost or not.

Wireless G max transfer is up to 54MBps and 100 feet distance across the network.
    Wireless N transfer 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/s and 700 feet distance across the network.

So if you have a large network or over a large distance, shared internet, stream music, games and video or data across it wirelessly, etc, go for Wireless N. Great if all your files are on another shared computer and you just want to stream to the other computers. It is compatiable with Wireless G devices, but they will limit it on their end so it's best to update the lot, router and each wireless device connecting.

Wireless N does not however speed up your internet connection. The connection itself will limit the speed, since not many people have 54MBps+ internet speeds, the cost of the upgrade isn't worth it if not networking. The ISP your with deals with that end and packet settings, etc.

Having a Wireless N network card connecting to a Wireless G router is a waste too (weak signal in). It should at least be the other way around. The router should be Wireless N, then update the network cards later or at the same time.

To me it sounds like your having low signal and signal lost. Moving the router away from walls, up high, and away from electric devices which might interfer might help a lot.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade