Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Points quesiton  (Read 26320 times)

kpac

Topic Starter
  • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Points quesiton
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
I'm just wondering exactly how the points system works.

I've now completed 4 WUs , roughly 1 per day. I've got 416 points. From the FAH FAQ section:
We plug the results of this benchmark test into the following formula:

Points = 110 * (DaysPerWU)
Now...doesn't that mean the longer it takes to complete a WU, the more points you get? Why is that?

Also, one more question. The first 4 WUs went to 2500, now the 5th is only going to 100 but is going a lot slower. Why is this?

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Points quesiton
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »
I'm just wondering exactly how the points system works.

I've now completed 4 WUs , roughly 1 per day. I've got 416 points. From the FAH FAQ section:Now...doesn't that mean the longer it takes to complete a WU, the more points you get? Why is that?

Also, one more question. The first 4 WUs went to 2500, now the 5th is only going to 100 but is going a lot slower. Why is this?

Yea kpac ,I've only been in this for a short time and I wonder too. The person that's in last place on our team has a score of 0 but has 326 WU's ???. The member directly above me has exactly the same score as I do ,but only has 3 WU's, I have 8. I thought that for every 100 points, we accumulated 1 WU. I guess we'll have to do some digging for an explanation. overthehill

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
Quote from: calum
As far as I know a 0 credit unit is usually due to the unit not being completed properly. This can be because the unit itself was corrupted (either before, during or after it was downloaded) or the system it ran on may be unstable. I believe partial credit can be given if the unit was partially complete when corrupted, but I will research further and include what I find in the F@H FAQ when it is complete.

as well as the F@H Points FAQ:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Points

by the way, the time taken to complete the work unit counts time that it was actively worked on. And even if it doesn't, the deadlines make it a tad difficult to be able to get many more points by stalling it or something- you'd get far more points by using that idle time to process more work units.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kpac

Topic Starter
  • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »
I still don't follow, sorry!

Another thing I don't get - for the current WU, I'm getting a due time of "June 28 18:18:22". How is this when it doesn't take any more than a day to complete it?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
I still don't follow, sorry!

Another thing I don't get - for the current WU, I'm getting a due time of "June 28 18:18:22". How is this when it doesn't take any more than a day to complete it?

that's the deadline. if your computer doesn't "hand in" the work unit by that time, you don't get any points for it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
I'm not sure I can help much with the explanation of points however I will attempt it.

Not all WU's are the same. Some require more calculations than others. They are divided into different projects .WU's are pieces of a project. The WU's from the same projects are equal WU's awarding the same number of points for each WU for that project. A few sample WU's are ran on stanford's  "standard" Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU computer for each project. This is where they decide how many points a WU from that particular project is worth. So if a WU is worth 440 points that means on their computer it took 4 days to complete (110 * DaysPerWU) .If your computer has a cpu or graphics card superior to their Pentium 4 and can complete that same WU in 2 days you will still get 440 points.

To answer your question on deadline, this is when they need the wu completed for it to be effective in their research. When you send the WU back someone has to analize the data you send and fit your piece of data into their larger "puzzle" (the project).So if they get the WU too late they can't use it because they have already passed that part in their equation so to prevent them from sitting around waiting on a WU they will set  a deadline. If they don't receive your completed work back by the deadline they have to give that same WU to someone else to complete  and that means they no longer need yours.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
You can find out which project you are working on by right clicking on the icon in your tray and going to Status-Queue Info.You can also click on log file. If you read through the progress in the log file you will see which project you are working on.

Hope this helps instead of confusing you more.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
Thanks for that cruisin702 . I really didn't know any of this.This is by far the most info.that I have seen. But, I still don't understand how the player that is in last place on our team can have 0 for a score and have 326 WU's?   overthehill

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »
Thanks for that cruisin702 . I really didn't know any of this.This is by far the most info.that I have seen. But, I still don't understand how the player that is in last place on our team can have 0 for a score and have 326 WU's?   overthehill
If your computer's cpu is somehow corrupted (getting too hot or something) or your client is set up for the wrong cpu or graphics card.You will download a WU and begin working on the WU but then can't complete it. The WU is returned to Stanford but the WU isn't completed so you will not receive any credit. "completed" WU's are actually only returned WU's either complete or incomplete. If you hand in your homework assignment with all of the answers blank you will get a 0  :P

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »
If your computer's cpu is somehow corrupted (getting too hot or something) or your client is set up for the wrong cpu or graphics card.You will download a WU and begin working on the WU but then can't complete it. The WU is returned to Stanford but the WU isn't completed so you will not receive any credit. "completed" WU's are actually only returned WU's either complete or incomplete. If you hand in your homework assignment with all of the answers blank you will get a 0  :P
  Ah. Ha. Gotcha.  That reminds me of a teacher that I once had. ;D  Thanks again. overthehill

naturegurl

Rookie
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
How do you know if your computer is hot or corrupted?

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
How do you know if your computer is hot or corrupted?
Well for starters if your PC overheats you may possibly encounter problems such as ;strange fan noises,continuous shut downs and possibly even the dreaded "Blue Screen". And if you see or smell smoke you know that it's getting pretty hot (just kidding) ;D  Anyway these would be some indicators.
Now,I realize that this was not part of your question but here goes anyway.
To help avoid the above:Cleaning the inside of your PC (including fans etc.) occasionally will go along way to ensure that your PC will not overheat.  If you want to monitor your temps. and fan speeds etc.you can download a program that will do this, for example: www.gtopala.com/  If your PC is relatively new ,under normal conditions you shouldn't encounter overheating.

As far as corrupted; you could possibly encounter; very slow start-ups, possibly some programs that will not load, some very slow applications and again, possibly the "Blue Screen". 
Again you didn't ask but; to help avoid this; I would suggest using one only Firewall, one only Anti-virus program and have a good Anti-Spyware and a good Anti-Malware program .These programs should be used/ran fairly often. Keeping all of your programs up to date will go a long way to ensure that your PC will not get corrupted. And, if you have any concerns at all about corruption/viruses etc. please request help from the pros. here at CH.  overthehill

naturegurl

Rookie
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »
I have a relatively new computer and I run my security programs often.  Will that catch any problems I might encounter?

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Well that's a great start. Watching where you go on line as well will help. Downloading a program such as WOT from www.mywot.com/ will indicate safe and unsafe sites. I use it at all times. But,as mentioned earlier nothing is foolproof so if you have any concerns at all as far as the concerns that you mentioned, just post your question. Someone here at CH will be of assistance.

naturegurl

Rookie
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »
Thank you.  I will certainly download the mywot program.  Sounds like it will be very helpful in both the short and long run.  I'll let you know.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
You're quite welcome. overthehill