Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Downgrade from Windows 7 to VIsta  (Read 16147 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Downgrade from Windows 7 to VIsta
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
Well that maybe the case, however the total space used  for XP's windows folder is along the lines of 2 gigs of space that has to be allocated. with WIN 7 its along the lines of 15 gigs.... as far as RAM is concerned xp in its most rudimentary form it only used 150 MBs and 7 uses 1 gig plus of RAM

Oh. He meant disk space. Anyhow, hard drives and RAM are cheap now. No point in trying to cram a 2010 operating system into 2005 hardware.

Mulreay

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Or just as an after thought we stop entertaining this endless argument which suites no purpose.
This is to trolls as Cat-nip is to kittens.

I say we all walk away... but by all means carry on.

I Shooter

Hopeful

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
    If you want a really small operating system look at Linux Puppy. It will run on 64MB of ram and is only 98.6MB in size. You can run it from a USB drive and you don't need a hard drive. Now that is small. Easy Peasy isn't that small. It is more modern and built to be used on net books. It can also be ran from a 4GB USB drive. Both will surf the net, play DVD, and all the other things that we do with Vista,Seven and XP and they do it in a hole lot less space. I set up one of my computers with Linux Mint, I loaded it with the same pictures and files that I had on it with Vista. Vista took up just under 50GB of space. Linux Mint takes up 7GB with the same files and pictures. The 160 GB HD will never get filled up with Linux Mint. I didn't have to load picture editing software it came with it or antivirus software and such because it isn't needed. It also came with Open office and a bunch of other stuff that if you want in Microsoft what ever it is an add on. Can you tell I have had it with Microsoft? You all have a good day now.

Mulreay

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 02:38:13 PM »
    More fool me for saying 'Carry on'. Oh the shame.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
    Or just as an after thought we stop entertaining this endless argument which suites no purpose.

A lot of things in life have no point, like cow-tipping and drinking one's own urine, but they're entertaining nonetheless. This discussion is on topic for the most part, so there's no reason for it to end. Heaven forbid anyone should share an opinion, which is what was asked for by the OP.

Downgrading was a significant portion of my business from the time Vista came out until recently. I have been asked to downgrade a few Windows 7 systems to XP, but that's it.

My grandmother is 80 years old. She's still running an old Pentium that I had years and years ago. It has 256MB RAM and runs Windows 98. Do I need to give her an upgrade to XP, Vista, or 7? Why would I? All she does is email on it (seriously, she only has Juno email, no internet service). She knows exactly how to do the things she needs to do on it and that's all that matters to her.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
    A lot of things in life have no point, like cow-tipping and drinking one's own urine, but they're entertaining nonetheless.

I just had a disturbing insight into your personal life that I would have rather not had.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 11:54:13 PM »
    I just had a disturbing insight into your personal life that I would have rather not had.

well the cow tipping is fine and its something to do when you live in the country adn there is nothing else ot do besides fish, drink or work.........however the latter is rather disturbing and could have been left out. but none the less it was posted anyways
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 04:06:30 AM »

Not saying they're things I do personally, I'm just saying.

Besides, "it's sterile and I like the taste."

Salmon Trout

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 04:15:26 AM »

It could have been a lot worse...

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:26 AM »

Besides, "it's sterile and I like the taste."
    Of your own urine?  Whew, quaxo, get some counseling, dude!  Is this something you picked up in Thailand?   :o

And the cow tipping, now that's a myth, as I know very well having grown up on a dairy farm.  But, if you want a reference, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

My grandmother is 80 years old. She's still running an old Pentium that I had years and years ago. It has 256MB RAM and runs Windows 98. Do I need to give her an upgrade to XP, Vista, or 7? Why would I? All she does is email on it (seriously, she only has Juno email, no internet service). She knows exactly how to do the things she needs to do on it and that's all that matters to her.
    My mother is 84.  Her first computer had Win 98SE.  She's been using Win XP for about 2 years now, as I recall, on a older computer given to her.  And, she's talking about getting a new computer.  When she does, it will, of course, have Win 7, and I have no expectation that she'll be asking for a downgrade of her OS.  Of course, she'll have questions about Win 7 but I think we can work through that.  Her transition from Win 98SE to Win XP was not terribly difficult and I don't expect that a transition to Win 7 will be so either.