Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension 3000 not allowing 1920x1080 resolution with new Dell 24" monitor  (Read 31583 times)

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

I see that there is such a thing as a DVI to VGA cable with both ends.  Is that something that would work?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    You can either purchase a new video card or simply make the manual adjustments on the display as mentioned in my first post.

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

I don't think that the adjustments are great enough to achieve the highest resolution.  I've sort of played with it and it only changes it minimally as compared to what I actually need.  What good is that DVI/VGA cable then that I found that has both ends on it?  Thanks again.  I'm slowly learning that I'm going to have to purchase a new computer too at some point, lol.  I needed the monitor because my old one burned out so I guess I just have a big screen and not the bonus resolution I was looking for. 

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can anyone suggest a video card that I can update my computer with that will be compatible with a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop that already has Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on it that will allow me to go from VGA to DVI.  My monitor is a Dell ST2410 widescreen flat panel with max resolution 1920x1080 and my OS is XP.  My buddy, a long time ago, made a similar change for a dual monitor set up and said replacing the part is pretty easy and I have the directions on how to do it and it seems really doable.  Like I said, at the highest resolution right now the images go off to the right and below the viewable portion of the monitor.  I took a screen shot and put it into MSPaint and it captured what I can see and the rest of what I should be able to see.  I have the refresh rate set at 60hz.  Thanks for any help. 

Allan

• Mastermind

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

I am not a gamer so I don't need anything too awesome but I would be willing to go with something not too cheap but not too excessive either so if you want to recommend a couple that would be great.  I just have to be ensured that they will be compatible with my pc and the monitor and that's where I'm clueless.  thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
          Just go to Tiger Direct or Newegg and pick a pci video card in the price range you want (with DVI of course). ATI and Nvidia are the two most common brand names. Your display doesn't care what card you have. If you're not happy with it for any reason both retailers will accept the return.

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok, this is the latest from my buddy.

"You might be screwed even more because I looked at the specs of your Dimension 3000 and it doesn't even have a video card.  "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" means you have a video chip on the motherboard board instead of a video card which totally sucks.  99% of PCs have a video card separate from the motherboard that just plugs in and out.  But there are plenty of PCI slots to add more hardware, such as video cards, so I would assume if you added a video card to the motherboard then that would take over as the primary video card or you could somehow tell the PC to use the new video card instead of the integrated video chip."

Any suggestions on this besides buying a new computer, lol.

Allan

• Mastermind
            Yes. Stop listening to your buddy. I looked up your computer specs before posting my recommendation.

Buy the card, install it, disable onboard video in bios. Now please, just go buy the card. Or don't.

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

LOL.  I'm totally confused now, haha.  What a quagmire I'm in yet again.  I run so good in life.  Like they say, if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.  This sucks.  My understanding is that I will purchase the card, install it, and go from there.  I suppose I'll need help with the whole "disabling the onboard video in bios" when this is done. 

Did I mention I'll buy you a beer, or 2 or 30?  Seriously though, if this works I'll send you some cash for all your help or something.

Allan

• Mastermind
              1) I don't want your money
              2) I drink single malt scotch
              3) Installing the card and disabling onboard video in bios are both very simple.

1jason2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok then, thanks.  I'll try to decide what I should get and see if I can get one in town asap and I'll tell my buddy to screw off, lol.  Then if all goes well, I'll repost to try to finish this thing.  U DA MAN.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                I'll have a single malt then...if Allan will have one with me....    ;D
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Azzaboi

Apprentice
                • Aaron's Game Zone
                  • Aaron's Game Zone
                • Experience: Experienced
                I recommend the NVidia 275GTX or the cheaper option NVidia 260GTX Geforce. Those have duel DVI ports and great performance, for their price. At those resolutions, it has plenty of onboard memory. You also have the option of HDTV output, if you really want a big screen output. NVidia also has on going driver updates.

Of course I'm a hardcore gamer, the graphic card I end up spending 1/3 the total computer price as it's the biggest bang for bucks (if you have a good computer the major bottleneck these days is the graphics output).

Look around for good deals, but don't be too cheap on the graphic card. Specially if your updating the rest of the computer and have a duel core, quad core or i7 core. I use PriceSpy online here in NZ to find the best/cheapest deals, maybe you have some online price spy website there? You will find the price difference between some shops is huge!

Also make sure it will fit and has enough power! Graphic cards these days can be very large and require a minimum 550W or greater power supply. If the rest of the computer can't keep up, your'll have no end of problems installing it and keeping it stable.

(I take vodka or bourbon thx)
                Aaron's Game Zone
                The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

Allan

• Mastermind
                I'll have a single malt then...if Allan will have one with me....    ;D
                You know very well it will always be my pleasure  :)