Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8 issue  (Read 8028 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

IE8 issue
    « on: June 11, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
    Hi everyone. I have an issue with IE8 on one of my desktop computers. I currently have 3 desktop and 1 laptop computer that have Windows XP on them. All settings are exactly the same on each for IE8, but I only have issues with one computer.

Can anyone tell me why I have to reset my internet zones everytime I turn off this one computer and I don't have to on the others? Up until a month ago I didn't have this issue and all of a sudden IE8 crapped out on me on just this one computer. I have gone thru all the resetting fixes and what ever else I could find on the net, but I end up with the same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled as well.

Any ideas? 
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Metal Messiah

Beginner
      Re: IE8 issue
      « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
      Hi there,

Do all the other computers connect to the internet through the pc that has the problem?

Rgds,

MM
      The time is near
      The day has dawned
      Be prepared
      For what's to come.... Metal Messiah

From a Judas Priest song, guest where took my name from

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
      Any differences in protection apps (firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.) on all these computers?

What level/setting do you normally maintain for internet zones?

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
        Hi there,

Do all the other computers connect to the internet through the pc that has the problem?

Rgds,

MM

No. All the computers are hardwire connected seperately to a Netgear router. Which is then connected to a HughesNet modem.

Any differences in protection apps (firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.) on all these computers?

What level/setting do you normally maintain for internet zones?

No differences with any of the firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware. All computers are set up the same and the zone settings are set to default.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
        1) You can download and install ccleaner and use it to delete the index.dat file along with all cookies and temporary internet files. Then reboot and see if the problem persists.

2) I assume you are logged in as admin.

3) You can try a different browser (I realize it doesn't exactly solve the problem, but.........)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
          1) You can download and install ccleaner and use it to delete the index.dat file along with all cookies and temporary internet files. Then reboot and see if the problem persists.

2) I assume you are logged in as admin.

3) You can try a different browser (I realize it doesn't exactly solve the problem, but.........)

I use CCleaner on each computer and tried that as well but that didn't change the result.

I am the only one whose name is on each computer so I guess I am the admin.

I was thinking of trying a different browser. What do you recommend? I tried Mozilla but didn't like it. I don't think I gave it much of a chance though. I was reading about Safari the other day.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:58:51 AM »
          Firefox is widely acknowledged as one of the two best (IE being the other). I also have Safari & Opera on my System, but my primary browsers are IE and Firefox. Give them all a try and see which one(s) you like - no harm in trying. Safari is really pretty elegant.

And when you run ccleaner, do you delete the index.dat?

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
            Firefox is widely acknowledged as one of the two best (IE being the other). I also have Safari & Opera on my System, but my primary browsers are IE and Firefox. Give them all a try and see which one(s) you like - no harm in trying. Safari is really pretty elegant.

OK thanks for the tips. I'll look at Safari first.

And when you run ccleaner, do you delete the index.dat?

Not sure if I know what to do. I kind of just go thru the motions of running the cleaner and then cleaning the registry after analyzing.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
            First, I'm not a fan of running ANY registry cleaner - including ccleaner. They do absolutely no good and can do harm. I'm talking only about using ccleaner to delete the index.dat file, which it does easily. On the main tab (CLEANER - WINDOWS) under "Internet", make sure there is a check mark in the index.dat box and then click on "run cleaner". After a reboot, you can remove that checkmark (you do not want to continually delete that file).

Metal Messiah

Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
              Allen > What's the consequences for keeping that check box ticked?  I keep it checked all the time and I have no problems.... not that I know of.

Thanks,
              MM
              The time is near
              The day has dawned
              Be prepared

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 09:04:08 AM »
              No consequence other than you constantly lose all cookies, stored passwords and cache. I, for one, prefer to retain that data unless there is a specific need to delete them (it).

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
                First, I'm not a fan of running ANY registry cleaner - including ccleaner. They do absolutely no good and can do harm. I'm talking only about using ccleaner to delete the index.dat file, which it does easily. On the main tab (CLEANER - WINDOWS) under "Internet", make sure there is a check mark in the index.dat box and then click on "run cleaner". After a reboot, you can remove that checkmark (you do not want to continually delete that file).

I looked the settings and the box is checked. So your saying the box should not be checked all the time? How would you know it needs to be checked?

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »
                It's up to you as I explained in my post above. Personal choice.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 09:46:40 AM »
                  OK.

Metal Messiah

Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
                    Try unplugging the pc that works from the router and plug the pc that does not work in to the same port and see if it starts working please.  If it does not start working try a reboot while it's plugged in.  Let us know what happens then please.

Thanks,
                    MM
                    The time is near
                    The day has dawned
                    Be prepared

Allan

• Mastermind
                    « Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
                    Try unplugging the pc that works from the router and plug the pc that does not work in to the same port and see if it starts working please.  If it does not start working try a reboot while it's plugged in.  Let us know what happens then please.

Thanks,
                    MM
                    Don't be ridiculous. He already said it doesn't work if he direct connects to the modem.

Metal Messiah

Beginner
                      « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
                      Sorry if I missed that part, but there is no need to be snappy Alan.  It does not help, if you have no manners, don't post anything :) :) Oh and Cheer up dudette :) lol
                      The time is near
                      The day has dawned
                      Be prepared

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »

Thanks,
                        MM

All the PC's work. I'm just having an issue with having to reset the zone settings on just one of the computers when I shut it off and restart it sometime later. If I do the same with the other PC's there isn't this issue. Just curious why this is.