Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Photosmart C4480, wont scan anymore  (Read 4809 times)

hisgirl707

Topic Starter

Starter

HP Photosmart C4480, wont scan anymore
    « on: June 13, 2010, 07:46:07 AM »
    Hi I have a Toshiba Sattelite L305D laptop.  My printer is HP Photosmart C4480 all-in-one.  I have had it for over a year, it worked just fine.  Now I cant use the scan feature, I get a message  saying "imaging device is not found".  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, the cd software that it came with, and have gotten the software package from HP's website, and it is all updated.  I can make copies, and print from the pc and the printer console.  I do not know what else to do.  I did see error in device manager stating the registry entries were not configured correctly/ or damaged.  I do not know how to mess with the registry.  Any help please would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

truenorth

Guru

Re: HP Photosmart C4480, wont scan anymore
      « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »
      Not knowing EXACTLY how you uninstalled and reinstalled the device software that is usually the area that causes the type of problem you are having. You need to completely uninstall ALL the software related to the ALL IN ONE device not just the scanner software. You will need to do that via the add/remove programs. You will need to verify that after you believe the software has been uninstalled that no reference to the printer exists in the control panel printers tab.If any reference to the device remains at that point you need to go into the "device manager" and delete the device from there. Once that has been accomplished then you need to follow the instructions for installing the all in one as if it was a 1st time install. That usually means a precise order of actions.Such as not physically connecting the device until advised by the installation program to do so. So when you have uninstalled all the software appropriate to the device you need to also physically disconnect it from the computer. While you are probably beyond the free phone tech support from HP you most likely still have free tech support via the HP Tech support web site. If the suggestions preceding do not resolve your issue you might give that a try. good luck,truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
      Agreed...
      If it is a USB device it does NOT get connected when re-installing the software...

You only plug it in AFter you are prompted by the install software.
      It needs to be removed from Device Manager as well prior to this procedure.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
        Great honour to have agreement from exalted one.Little Grasshopper thanks you.truenorth

hisgirl707

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »
          First of all thank you for your quick responses.  And I am sorry I didnt specify more clearly my actions.  I did uninstall all HP from the add/remove programs.  And removed from device manager.  I have done all I know how to do.  I also chatted with HP online, I followed all his instructions, still no scanning ability.  I would like to smash this HP machine of mine!  I cant help but think maybe the registry is the problem.  But as I said I do not know how to clear it of my HP entries.  So I am truly at a loss.  Thank you for all your input, I appreciate it.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
            Please explain what you mean by this? "But as I said I do not know how to clear it of my HP entries.  So I am truly at a loss".truenorth

hisgirl707

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
              I'm sorry if I was not specific.  What I meant by that statement is, I do not know how to remove the registry entries pertaining to the HP all in one.  I mentioned that I got an error message in device manager that the HP printer entries were either configured incorrectly or damaged.  So I do not know if this has anything to do with my problems. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »
                DO NOT try to do anything pertaining to the registry of the computer. If you have followed ALL the previous instructions i stated earlier and you no longer are seeing any references to the printer device then you are ready to do the reinstall. If you still have ANY references to the device (hardware/software) you are NOT ready. What is your situation now re the preceding? When you do get to the stage of reinstall then all matters pertaining to the device including any registry entries will be taken care of at that time (unless somehow windows registry entries have been corrupted/damaged/deleted). Please tell us where you are at in the process now?truenorth