Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME not responding  (Read 5092 times)

Rene

Re: Windows ME not responding
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 08:39:34 PM »
The laptop has an accupoint mouse, but i am also using a ps2. the hang up occurs when i use either of the two..

i did the scandisk, & defrag a couple of times using the maintenance wizard in accessories > system tools but its still the same.. haven't run a virus scan though...

i think it has already IE 6 on it.

.....is this a ps2 mouse? or the accupoint.one......run defrag.....use disk clean up.......diable sytem restore and run a virus scan.....Do you have  internet explorer 6.....installed on your laptop?

Rene

Re: Windows ME not responding (Error 29)
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 11:59:35 PM »
A pleasant day to all...

Its been days but i still cant figure out why my system suddenly hangs up... I had already changed my memory to 128Mb and the problem still exist.

I was able to locate the System Information tool and i found a problem in one of the components of the system. The following are the problem indicated by the tool:

Error Code: 29
Name: Secondary IDE Controller (single fifo)
Manufacturer: (Standard Hard Disk Drivers)
PNP Device ID: MF\CHILD 0001\PCI&VEV_1170&DEV_0102&SUBSYS_0021179&REV_34&BUS_oo&DEV_10&FUNC_00
Driver: C\windows\system\vmm32.vxd

My BIOS version is ACPI version 7.5. With this I cannot modify the value for the Secondary IDE. It is currently set to CDROM. I have no other idea how to deal with this error. I hope you can help me...

THanks a lot.

Rene

merlin_2

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
Hold down the f1 key on boot......does the drive show up?/ and  did you load the hard disks drivers..... do you have any tosh install disks.....

Rene

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 03:24:17 AM »
I can see the drive in the bios set-up, it is set to CD ROM with IRQ15... but when i looked in the IRQ list in the Hardware manager, no Secondary IDE was set at IRQ15.

I just upgraded my bios from 7.5 to 7.8 but nothing happened...  i got the upgrade from toshiba site.

What does pressing F1 during booting do?

Does it makes a difference if i'm using a windows version that is not in the list of the versions given to the system?.. When i looked at the site, the listed windows versions for the satellite 2060 is W95, W98... however currently i am using Windows ME... is the issue i am having related to this?

also, i found out that my system is acting weird. I only got 64Mb RAM but system properties says its 192Mb. Another is that when i open a containing data files in the cd drive, it reads the cd as an audio file!..(weird).. grrr..

I hope you can help me with this...

Thanks so much!

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 10:42:50 AM »
The esc key + the f1 will bring the bios screen up......chose the setup defaults option and reboot.....now hold down the f8 key <safe mode> and run scandisk......when you have done this  post back.....thats if you wish to take suggestions given!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:43:19 AM by merlin_2 »