Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it good to use a Windows 7 Compaq 615 as a Desktop?  (Read 2741 times)

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is it good to use a Windows 7 Compaq 615 as a Desktop?
    « on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
    Hi,

I have a compaq 615, and the screen cracked somehow.  I found that this is not covered under warranty and will cost me $500 NZD to fix.  I decided that it was not worth it as I brought the laptop for $850 NZD.  I have decided i will use it as a desktop and not use the battery at all just keep the charger in all the time and all ways on.  Is this a good thing? I have windows 7 Compaq 615, if needed look up the specs.  I am not sure if this was the right place to put this, but any help would be great.

Thanks, Jackson C

pcs365_2

Beginner

Re: Is it good to use a Windows 7 Compaq 615 as a Desktop?
      « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
      Hi,
      It does not make any difference that you want to use battery or direct power supply, anyway you have to attach battery and plug into power supply. Any difference is that your battery will be full charged and power will be byepassed to reach you laptop components as and when required. However there could be a of problems with your machine:
                         >>. Your laptop battery  life will not lost long.
      As you want to use your machine as desktop means that you want to keep your laptop always on which is not good, because laptops are not for heavy duty, however it again depends on yor laptop model and specifications.
      PCS365.2
      Bangalore.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:49:33 AM »
      ... anyway you have to attach battery and plug into power supply.

No, he does not have to use the battery.  He can run the computer without the battery in it, as he wants to do.

As you want to use your machine as desktop means that you want to keep your laptop always on which is not good, because laptops are not for heavy duty, ...

Well , he could still shutdown at night, which I recommend, and he can use Sleep mode when inactive for a certain time.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »
                         >>. Your laptop battery  life will not lost long.
      As you want to use your machine as desktop means that you want to keep your laptop always on which is not good, because laptops are not for heavy duty, however it again depends on yor laptop model and specifications.

Just because you have a computer doesn't mean you have to keep it on 24/7.

Just a thought, maybe you want to get a laptop fan or a laptop cooler to keep the laptop chilled. Suppose it'll help keep your laptop's shelf life longer....