Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: having trouble installing newest version of itunes  (Read 24258 times)

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

having trouble installing newest version of itunes
    « on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
    Hi, this is all new to me so here goes:

My ipod recently died so I got a new one.  I need to install the newest version of itunes for it to work.  I downloaded it and started to install it.  Got this message:  Service 'Bonjour Services' failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I talked with a guy from itunes who told me it was because I have Mcaffe and need to disable my firewall.  I don't have Mcaffe.  So I disabled my firewall though from what I do have.  Still didn't work. 

I tried uninstalling itunes and reinstalling; didn't work.

I tried running a Malware scan and removed anything it had and then tried to download and reinstall and that didn't work either.

I tried uninstalling/shutting down.  Redownloading/shutting down.  reinstalling-that didn't work either.

Called itunes again.  They guy told me to removed windows and then install and then re install windows then it will work.  He was rude and told me that would work but people are too lazy to back up files to do it.  I am not good at computers, I am a mom of 3 back in school and can't afford to lose documents and do not know how to do that properly...any help? 

Thanks so much! 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: having trouble installing newest version of itunes
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
    First of all, DO NOT uninstall Windows. That person you spoke with doesn't care about you or your system and is going to blame anything other than Apple software for the problem. And by the way, the bonjour service does not need to be running for itunes to be installed or work.

Second, are you logged on as the administrator? And what version of Windows are you running?

Third, you should also post on the Apple support forums at the Apple website. Some of the folks there are very helpful - and you might even see the same problem listed by someone else.

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
      Thanks Allan.  I did read all of those posts on those forums and tried all of them, without success.  You are correct, there are many that are having the same problems as me but it seems like one of the answers to fix has helped them over come this problem, but it hasn't for me! 

I have no plans on removing windows, looking for other options because I wouldn't even know how to do it! 

Yes, I have been logged on as the administrator for all of my attempts to install itunes. 

Someone has mentioned installing a windows clean up of some sort?  When I checked into this it looked like it might remove files I have so I am afraid to try.

Do you have any ideas?  I have posted this same question to some other sites for help and you are the first to respond so THANK YOU SO MUCH!! 

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
        forgot to mention I have Windows xp

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 01:03:31 PM »
        Do you have an older version of itunes installed? If so, go to ADD / REMOVE programs and uninstall it. While you are in ADD/REMOVE look for Bonjour and if you see it, uninstall it. Then reboot and let's go from there.

And which service pack version of XP are you running?

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:01 PM »
          I did have an older version of itunes.  I did remove and uninstalled it along with everything else that had to do with itunes.  I did have bonjour in there after attempting to install the new itunes and have uninstalled that as well.

I do want to mention that I read somewhere to uninstall 'Apple mobile device system' (or something similarly named to that) and then try to install and it actually worked.  Then went to plug ipod in and it wouldn't recognize it because I didn't have the 'Apple mobile device system' and suggested I uninstall and re install and it wouldn't work again.

I don't know what kind of xp I am running, how do I find that out?

I am at work right now but will run any ideas given to me when I get home tonight.

Thanks again :)

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
          You can download and reinstall Apple Mobile Device Support either from Apple or from here: http://apple-mobile-device-support.updatestar.com/

I provided that link because I'm having trouble getting to Apple support right now.

Double-click on My Computer to see what version of the OS you are running.

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:45 PM »
            I re read the post I had previously written and realized that it looks confusing.  After I downloaded the newer version of itunes, I went to install.  When I got to the service error : Bonjour services failed to start; abort or retry?, I went into add or remove programs and uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device support.  I then hit retry and it worked, I actually had downloaded the newest version of itunes, but it wouldn't let me use my ipod with it because I didn't have the Apple mobile device support.  It then told me to uninstall everything itunes and try to reinstall itunes again and when I did that I kept getting what I had originally got:  Service 'Bonjour Services' failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.  abort or retry? 

So, do you think I can do what I did above and then install Apple mobile device support from the link you provided, or am I totally out in left field? 

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 02:33:28 PM »
            Okay, perhaps my posts were equally confusing.

Uninstall everything Apple (itunes, mobile support, bonjour).

Reboot

Download and install Bonjour and Apple Mobile Support.

Reboot

Download and install itunes.

Let us know what happens.

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »
              Haven't tried that yet!  I will try that this evening and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
                Ok.  I uninstalled everything.

Rebooted

Downloaded and installed Bonjour

The link you sent me to install Apple mobile support was 29.99 or more which included some other software as well.  I tried finding the download of the Apple mobile support for free and every other site I went to said that it comes in the itunes install bundle and isn't available seperately.  So I was only able to download Bonjour.

Rebooted.

Downloaded itunes, went to install and had the same problem with the same error message.

Right when that was happening I got a message from my SecureIT which stated there was a virus alert which stated this: 

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple Mobile Device
                Support\NetDrivers\WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

I also tried again to install by disabling my firewalls and that didn't work either. 

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
                  You had asked before and I forgot to tell you; I have service pack 3

Allan

• Mastermind
                  « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 05:51:37 AM »
                  Okay. Try everything again but this time before installing itunes disable your antivirus software (you can re-enable it immediately after the installation is complete). Then reboot and let's see if it works.

macygirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:17 AM »
                    K.  Sounds good.  I probably won't be able to get to it till Wed night.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Allan

• Mastermind
                    « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »
                    Yep. I remember I also had some trouble with itunes on an XP system a couple of years back and for the life of me can't remember what I had to do to get it up and running.