Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A toughie - DSL isn't working like it should  (Read 2647 times)

Histidine

A toughie - DSL isn't working like it should
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
I just got a new internet service (on account of moving across the country) through AT&T DSL.  Ever since I set it up (~2 weeks) it's been going really.... really slow.  Like, 200kbps down, when I should be getting 1.5Mbps minimum.  And my ping is usually around half a second.

After numerous phone calls with AT&T speaking with technicians of varying levels of English fluency, they sent out a technician to my apartment complex.  The line and everything checks out - he even plugged his laptop into my modem and he got decent speeds.  Plug my laptop back in, and the speed goes back down.

The tricky part is, my speed is fine with any other internet provider I've had before (both wireless and through ethernet).  I got a wireless router to double-check, and my speeds were the same on the router as they are through ethernet.  But they're fine when I go to a wifi hotspot downtown.  So it almost certainly isn't a hardware problem (modem works, cables work, network card and wireless cards work).  But I can't for the life of me figure out what is the problem.  AT&T has given up on helping me, and I'd rather not switch providers if I don't have to (there's only one other choice of provider, and I hear they suck).

I feel like I've tried everything obvious by now: updating drivers, reinstalling the modem, reinstalling ethernet and wireless card drivers... anything else? 

TechGeek

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
  • Experience: Expert
Re: A toughie - DSL isn't working like it should
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
I'd say you should try switching your DNS.  Try the free Google Public DNS. It could be that tyou configured your laptop to an old DNS of some old ISP and now your pages can't load because that DNS isn't responding to requests made from your new ISP or it's being laggy or something. Even if your DNS is set to automatic, it could still be a problem; I've been to so many public hotspots where you can't get a decent connection with their default DNS.

Just try OpenDNS or Google's Public DNS and see if it helps. You can change it on your router or on your computer in the networking and sharing center in the group called manage network connections:)
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.