Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS question  (Read 9092 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: BIOS question
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 06:31:12 AM »
Yeah, these days it couldn't be easier - or safer. On all systems (that I know of) built in recent years, the bios is flashed on reboot - either via a floppy or an executable file run from within the OS that forces a reboot and then the flash. Pretty much the only danger these days would be if the system is shut down (ie, power failure) in the middle of the process - and even then many bios update utilities are so well written that they can - and will - self correct on reboot.

My major fear at the time was that the floppy disk I was using could be corrupted. out of about 12 disks I had examined it was the only one that didn't have any bad sectors.

For my current PC, and I believe many other newer PCs, they often feature a "dual BIOS" feature, whereby there are literally two BIOS chips on the motherboard- if a flash fails for whatever reason, the second BIOS (which I don't think you can flash, since it's an emergency BIOS) takes over, and then you can try to either revert the first chip to the previous version or try to flash the new version again. So even the worst case scenario is pretty timid.

Of course, just like with updating any critical software like an Operating System or driver, it's usually pretty silly to update just because.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 06:48:34 AM »
Of course, just like with updating any critical software like an Operating System or driver, it's usually pretty silly to update just because.
Yep, always my recommendation with bios and drivers - only if there's a good reason. If only I took my own advice  :P

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »
...For my current PC, and I believe many other newer PCs, they often feature a "dual BIOS" feature, whereby there are literally two BIOS chips on the motherboard- if a flash fails for whatever reason, the second BIOS (which I don't think you can flash, since it's an emergency BIOS) takes over, and then you can try to either revert the first chip to the previous version or try to flash the new version again. So even the worst case scenario is pretty timid.
Of course, just like with updating any critical software like an Operating System or driver, it's usually pretty silly to update just because...
I have a lot of experience flashing BIOS, probably because I'm always acquiring old computers that have been abandoned or discarded.  Out of 10-20, I've only had 1 flash fail, MB wouldn't do much before the flash & completely died after the flash.
Actually, it's not a "dual BIOS" feature, but a protected area of the BIOS.  Flashing is a lot more reliable than it used to be, most can now do it from within Windows.  I usually only update BIOS if there is some kind of version history that details what was changed or fixed.
Pretty good writeup here:  http://www.freeopenbook.com/upgrading-repairing-pc/ch05lev1sec4.html

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
Actually, it's not a "dual BIOS" feature, but a protected area of the BIOS. 

I have looked at my motherboard. it literally has two BIOS chips. If the motherboard detects that the main BIOS (labelled "M BIOS" in the manual and silkscreened onto the motherboard itself) is corrupted or otherwise "broken" it will instead boot using the Backup BIOS (labelled B-BIOS):

From my motherboard manual:
What is DualBIOS?

Motherboard that support DualBIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and a backup BIOS, Normally, the system works on the main BIOS. However, if the main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS wil take over on the next system boot and copy the BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For the sake of system safety, the user cannot update the backup BIOS manually.

Actually this manual is rather good considering it's clearly translated from some other language.  (probably Chinese) looks they got somebody that knew a bit of both.

I do know previously they had protected BIOS areas- so that you could, in the event of a failed flash, insert a disk and try to flash again (or something to that effect) but it was quite minimal.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Maybe dual BIOS is more common on newer "premium" motherboards.  Memory is so cheap, now, it costs them next to nothing to add a backup BIOS chip.  I assume your MB was more than $100, maybe more than $200?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
Maybe dual BIOS is more common on newer "premium" motherboards.  Memory is so cheap, now, it costs them next to nothing to add a backup BIOS chip.  I assume your MB was more than $100, maybe more than $200?

it was ~$85 or so, CDN, right now on newegg it's $79.99 US.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:25 PM »
it was ~$85 or so, CDN, right now on newegg it's $79.99 US.
Nice motherboard.  BIOS chips are tiny!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 05:29:12 PM »
My rule of thumb...for those that will listen is there is rarely a point where a BIOS flash is a good idea.....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
In my personal experience, it's fixed problems more than it's caused problems.  Your experience may vary & that's okay.  I will have to say, I've never done a flash from Windows, only from DOS.

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
    This rig's motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P. I do believe it has a dual BIOS and from what I read in the manual it can be flashed from a Thumb drive. However I probably won't do it because all I use it for is making a few Word documents, chat and email. Gaming for me is Bubbletown on MSN Games.

nhorbs

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
      just contact your manual page for more info, just to be sure....