Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Laptop and Router  (Read 5247 times)

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Chief Executive of Problem Acquisitions
    New Laptop and Router
    « on: June 21, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
    I just got the Toshiba Qosmio X505 and bought a new dual band (2.4/5ghz) wireless N Netgear WNDR3300 router. The trouble I am having is getting the laptop to recognize the N connection with dual band mode on. It doesn't find the N connection, but it finds the G connection just fine. I messed with the router settings and was able to get the router to broadcast in N only and the laptop found and connected to that, however it only was broadcasting in 2.4ghz. Is this normal or can I get it to broadcast in 5ghz on N only? Or is there some way to get the laptop to see the N connection when I have dual band mode on instead of just the G connection?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Laptop and Router
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »
    To achieve maximum output a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band.[9]  An 802.11n-only network may be impractical for many users because the existing computer stock is predominantly 802.11b/g only. Replacement of incompatible WiFi cards or of entire laptop stock is necessary for older computers to operate on the network. Consequently, it may be more practical in the short term to operate a mixed 802.11b/g/n network until 802.11n hardware becomes more prevalent. In a mixed-mode system, it is generally best to use a dual-radio access point and place the 802.11b/g traffic on the 2.4 GHz radio and the 802.11n traffic on the 5 GHz radio.[10]
    - Wikipedia

The N spec has not been fully deployed. How old is you laptop?

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:34:38 PM »
      The laptop is only a month old.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
      From late last year:
      #  Wireless capabilities 
      IEEE 802.11b , IEEE 802.11g ,
      Bluetooth 
      No mention of N at that time.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
      From late last year:No mention of N at that time.

first: the laptop is a month old. The spec sheet <Clearly> states it supports wireless N.

second: the wireless-N specification was published in October 2009. Almost a year ago.

Third: since 2004, Wireless-N Devices could be had that were certified Draft-N devices, and they will work with devices conforming to the final specification.

But that isn't relevant, since both the router and the laptop <BOTH> support the published standard.

Regarding the original problem, don't know what to say, really. remember that if the laptop is too far away it might connect via G instead of N as well- how are you confirming which one it connects to when you have dual band mode on?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
      Hey BC_Programmer,
      Just become a standard was published six months  ago does not mean everybody has it right.

Yes, the Toshiba has the N, but it does not let him choose which band. If you set the router to use only the 5Ghz, it will not link.

And Toshiba will not own up to it. They ignore users who complain.

He shroud exercise the warranty and make Toshiba give him real answer. But the problem with that is there is a shortage of that Toshiba right now.

At close range the 5Ghz should give better performance that the 2.4 Ghz band in a congested area where is a lot of activity.

So the either the Toshiba is not a perfect implementation of N, or maybe it is the router. One or the other is not quite perfect.
      When was the router made?

Edit: Thus router has had dual band N for awhile. See Video.
      http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-rangemax-dual-band/4505-3319_7-32863752.html

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:09:40 PM by Geek-9pm »

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
        Just discovered that the router is transmitting both G and N signals right now. Different laptop, MacBook Pro booting from Windows, sees both the G and the N signal, so I know there isn't anything wrong with the router. This laptop recognizes both G and N, just not at the same time for some reason. Of course, I would rather be connected to N, I just don't know why my laptop doesn't recognize it when G is turned on. It does not show up in Wireless Connections. Thanks for the responses.

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:56 PM »
          Full model number is the Toshiba X505-Q875. So basically, when I set the router to only transmit in N signal, the laptop recognizes it, but only at 2.4ghz. Same with G. Just when dual band is on, it only connects to G at 2.4ghz, never N at 5. If there is any info you need from the router setup, let me know or if there is anything I should change, let me know too. Everything has basically been left the way it came out of the box, no internal setting were really messed with.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
          Toshiba does recognize there is a problem.
          So, I have to retract what I said earlier that they ignore people.
          The workaround is to disable the on board wireless and get a PC card that has the full set of features you want.
          From Toshiba:

Issue:

You may experience that you may not be able to use the 5GHz band with your network card if you operate in "n" WiFi standard

Summary:

If you are maybe affected by this symptom, then your notebook is likely equipped with a WiFi cards (b/g/n).
          On WiFi cards (b/g/n) which doesn't support the "a" standard there's a high risk that they will not be able to transmit data in 5GHz band.

Resolution:

The issue depends on the implementation on the WLAN card itself.

Basically, the WiFi standard "a" (5GHz) and "n" (2,4GHz / 5GHz) can transmit data in the 5GHz band.

* Means, that normally all WiFi cards (a/g/n) which supports standard "a" and "n" should be able to work in 5GHz band.
                e.g. INTEL(R( Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
          For more, goto http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0502VM0000R01.htm

Toshiba also says this is documented in the "n" standard. They give this link:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n

Several thousand posts on the internet  identify this Tosiba problem. It may not limited to just Toshiba.  It is a problem from the chip makers. Anybody who uses the non-compliant chips would have the same problem. No software fix was found.

Gabriel_Knight

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »
            What I would like to know is if the laptop is SUPPOSED to be able to recognize the 5ghz band. If it is supposed to then I don't understand why I should have to shell out extra money because Toshiba screwed me over. If they didn't, then whatever.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
            Take a look and see if the card is the Intel PCI mini card.
            If so, it can be replaced.
            Here  re is a picture:
            The IntelŽ Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN product is an embedded 802.11a/b/g/nš PCIe* Mini Card network adapter card that operates in both the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz spectrum, delivering high throughput and a host of features that enhance today's mobile lifestyle.

Deploying WLAN technology in your home and business increases productivity, efficiency and flexibility by enabling faster decision making, reducing down-time, and enhancing employee satisfaction. For more information visit our WLAN ROI and WLAN Deployment web pages.
            http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm