Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win7-Computer shuts down and loses ALL memory  (Read 2799 times)

AngieG24

Topic Starter

Starter

Win7-Computer shuts down and loses ALL memory
    « on: July 05, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
    I have a Sony VGN-AW190U Laptop, running Windows 7. It came with Vista, but we installed 7 (the full version with license) in November when the computer crashed. Two weeks ago or so, Windows did an update, and when it restarted, everything was all wonky, my files were in a different place, some were missing, Itunes was GONE, along with all of my music and videos. Some of my document for work were gone, etc. I had to set up Mozilla Thunderbird for my email again, and then when I shut the computer down and restarted it, it was like anything I had done was gone. I had to do it again.

The other thing that happens is that sometimes the computer won't even restart at all. It gets to the welcome screen and just waits and waits. It did that for thirty minutes before I got it to start today. I can't imagine what is wrong this time. I am running Avast Virus protection on it, and do not find any viruses. I also thought maybe I could restore to a previous date, before the update, but there aren't any restore points, it is like they were wiped out too.

Please, any advice will be appreciated!!!

Thank you so much!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win7-Computer shuts down and loses ALL memory
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
    It gets to the welcome screen and just waits and waits

Windows 7 doesn't have a welcome screen.... that's XP...
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AngieG24

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
      When Windows is first starting, the screen is blue and it says "welcome" before it loads the windows icons....that is where it locks up. I don't know if I am using the correct terminology. But I double checked to make sure it hadn't reverted back to another form of Windows, because to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at this point. But it says it is running Windows 7.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
      When Windows is first starting, the screen is blue and it says "welcome" before it loads the windows icons....that is where it locks up. I don't know if I am using the correct terminology. But I double checked to make sure it hadn't reverted back to another form of Windows, because to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at this point. But it says it is running Windows 7.

Oh ok... I can't remember ever seeing that screen.

Just checked in a VM though, I see it for less then a second, probably why I don't remember it, sorry for misleading you.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AngieG24

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
        That is ok, I saw it for hours on end.... that is why I was sure it was there.  ;D Thanks for trying to help!!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:16 PM »
        I'm betting on hardware: a corrupted or failing hard drive, or maybe RAM, this machine has "form" as Brits say -

we installed 7 (the full version with license) in November when the computer crashed.

I suggest a visit to a repair place.