Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Backup -- Various Failures  (Read 3560 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Windows Backup -- Various Failures
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »
I am having a problem with one of my clients computers that I can not figure out.

Windows Backup is continuously failing.
(If you know of software that works just as well, for free, I think switching over may be worthwhile if the fix is not simple)

Two errors have occurred:
Catastrophic Failure -- a very general error.
After we changed the backup destination to a blank CD instead, this came up after "Preparing <insert filenames> for backup" :
Incorrect Function 0x8007001

I have already taken the following actions:
Ran the following: sfc /scannow, scandisk (or whatever the kids call it now), did a computer and registry clean out with CCleaner (I do that to all computers).
Entered the Computer Manager, changed the service to "Automatic" and started it, restarted the computer, and it still did not work.

Specs:

Windows Vista. All updated installed. Whatever the latest SP for Vista is.
Dell. Antivirus installed and running (Avast).

I swear, I may kill if anyone gives me a link to lmgtfy... I already tried to find a descent solution that actually worked.

Thank you for your assistance in the matter
- Jesse Zylstra

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows Backup -- Various Failures
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:35:18 PM »
Jesse great to see you again Bud...

I recently tried /tested3 or 4 Free backup solutions and out of them all Macrium Reflect came out way on top...
You may want to take it around the block for a spin...

seeya.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Backup -- Various Failures
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
The problem, well, actually it's not really a problem...
The case is: The person who uses this computer only has about 1.19GB of data total in their Pictures and Documents folder -- which is all that needs backing up.

What about software specifically made for backing up only certain directories? It just needs to be automated. The ability to automatically put it onto a blank CD (after prompting the user for a blank CD, of course) would also be very nice.

I'm considering getting one of those aimable wifi things and pointing it to my house and selling disk space on my server to him for backup..  ;D It certainly sounds much easier!