Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to upgrade windows xp to windows 7.  (Read 2449 times)

mahesh4299

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

unable to upgrade windows xp to windows 7.
    « on: July 02, 2010, 06:19:24 AM »
    I tried upgrading windows XP to windows 7 but am unable to do so. As soon as boot able CD of Windows 7 is inserted, the windows logo comes and a green patch in the lower half of monitor shows the CD is running. But it continues for long and no further action is done. Please help.

I also tried to directly install windows 7 but am unable to do so. Please help.

I have RAM of 1 GB and 160 hard disk, does that hamper/slowdown the installation process?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: unable to upgrade windows xp to windows 7.
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
    Try booting to the Windows 7 disc. Also, 1GB is the minimum for Windows 7 - you might consider adding more. As for the drive, as long as there's enough free space it doesn't matter how large it is.

mahesh4299

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »
      I've also tried booting with windows 7 CD but not successful. The same green patch gets scrolling indicating that the OS is getting downloaded but it continues for long.what to do?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »
      Are you actually booting to the Windows 7 disc? What EXACTLY appears on the screen? And is this an original, retail copy of Windows 7 or is it something you downloaded?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
      You can't directly upgrade Windows XP with a Windows 7 install disc. There is no upgrade path. You have to choose a "custom" install and you would have to move all your files off onto e.g. an external drive, and reinstall all your software.