Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: file lock  (Read 4415 times)

viking

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    file lock
    « on: July 20, 2005, 05:26:21 AM »
    Hi.
    Problem description: an application uses 2 directories, let's say A and B.
    When I choose option 1, the application will load data from A.
    If I choose the option 2, the application has to rename A to C and B to A. It loads data from A. Now, I have the directories A and C.
    If I choose again the first option it has to rename A to B and C to A. It should load data from A. Now, there are directories A and B.

The problem is that the application does not work well. For example, if I choose option 2, close application, start application and  choose option 1, it will not rename those directories, and it will not find the ritght data. The application starts with a menu from where I choose the option, so, to change the option I have to restart the application.
    If I restart the computer I can safely choose the other option, it works fine. But it is time consuming...
    I can't rename those directories if I don't restart the computer ("file is locked"; in fact, A is locked -- I made a .bat file to rename the directories, but when A is locked the .bat file moves the other directory in A and that is not good) .
    I tried to see modifications in registry, but I am probably too clumsy... I have seen nothing...
    I used process explorer to see what files uses that application... It didn't helped. I strongly believe that the answer is in Windows registry, but I don't know how to solve it yet.
    How can I find what files are locked and by "my" applicaton? How can I unlock them?

merlin_2

Re: file lock
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:05:25 PM »
    Is this winxp......is the file sharing option enabled.....

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »
    Viking:

What is the name of the application are you using?

What is designed to do?

Doc

viking

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »
      Windows XP, Windows 2000, the same problem. These directories are not shared, they are used by a local aplication (local to every computer; the directories exist on every computer).
      I can't tell you the application name. Firm policy... I can't tell you what she has to do...  The same policy. Let's say it does many things... ("My name is Bond... James Bond" :D ) But basically, the application works as I said in my first post here.
      How can I find the list of locked files in Windows? Maybe the menu launches a process that does not shut down gracefully and locks the directory. I have not found an application that will list the applications and their file usage in a period of time, I found only applications that offer an image, at a given momentum (when I double click).
      « Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:59:24 PM by viking »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 05:29:11 AM »
      If the application belongs to the firm you work for, is there no administrator you can contact?