Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown CPU detected...  (Read 8370 times)

amit999

Unknown CPU detected...
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »
Hi,
The following points explain my problem:-
1. when i switch on my pc ,it asus motherboard logo freezes for about 40-45 secs, then it says "unknown cpu detected , update bios to unleash full power. press f1 to resume..."
2. after that it seems to be normal, i,ve attached a file to explain the problem
3 cpu - intel core 2 duo E7300 2.66 ghz
   motherboard - asus P5B- VM SE
  Please help....

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Unknown CPU detected...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
Sounds like your motherboard needs a BIOS update.
Check Asus' website for the latest BIOS and isntructions on flashing it.

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
CPU's supported by the ASUS P5B-VM motherboard since which BIOS:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=p5b-vm&product=1&os=25

BIOS history and downloads:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=p5b-vm&product=1

You may still have to adjust the BIOS, after the update, not to wait on errors because ASUS do not state compatibility for that CPU.

Now that I've said something usefull and productive, lol at the "BIOS update is to unleash it's full power!" They could have said "BIOS update required for full feature support", but no they said "to unleash it's full POWER!" in a maniacal way.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »
Yeah, I like how Asus boards always say that.
Even better are the messages "Are you sure to update BIOS?" "Are you sure to RESET?" "Install finish!" and my favourite, which I saw on a Gigabyte board in a box titled "Insatll message" - "Do you want to install Gigabyte utilty?"
(above are all as seen, including speeling mistaks, grammaretical issues and general Engrish)

On a serious note, thanks for providing those links, I was in a bit of a rush when I posted or I would have done the same.

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:16:43 AM »
No problem, as you can see I use ASUS motherboards so I have usefull pages from the site bookmarked. All I have to do is change the motherboard name in the address bar. The only problem is that if he's unlucky he will have to send the CPU back or get a new mobo anyway. I suspect that it'll still briefly hang during the POST until it decides that the CPU is unknown. Personally that would irritate me.