Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Has my laptop gone kaput? Failing battery, fan and usb ports  (Read 3460 times)

cookiemunstahh

Topic Starter

Starter

I'm wondering if there is something I can fix or not or I should just get a new computer.

About a year ago my fan failed after I brought my computer to Vegas while on vacation. The fan failed while we were there and had dirt in it. We thought the heat in the car may have helped break it since her laptop also broke (her screen just got scrambled up).

I went home, looked up solutions here (thanks btw) and changed the fan myself. I also changed the silver stuff while I was changing the fan and it worked fine.

About 5 months ago my battery died died. I can't use it without it being plugged in and it will not stay on if unplugged. Two months ago my USB ports started being weird. Sometimes they would stop reading what was plugged in randomly... then randomly start working again. It would be any of the ports (both those grouped in the back and front of my laptop). Now, my fan is starting to fail again and my fan is new. I've been keeping it clean with compressed air. It will not work at all sometimes or work only a little. What gives? Should I just buy a computer or is there some fix?

I'm going to update the BIOS but I'm not sure that will do anything.

I do know there are a few trojans that Sophos detected and I assume it took care of it.

I also regularly use CCleaner. I also don't leave on my computer all day like others.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105. I bought my computer in... 2006 I think. Either 2006 or 2007... but I'm pretty sure it was 2006. I have 2gigs ram, approx 150 gb hd, dual core approx 1.25 ghz each. I am running Windows XP (had a free upgrade to Vista but I never used it, ha ha).

Also if I throw away this laptop... would I be able to use the ram in a new computer? (Assuming, of course, I get a computer that is compatible.)

wa_94sound

Greenhorn

Re: Has my laptop gone kaput? Failing battery, fan and usb ports
      « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
      Well...a new laptop is always nice, there might be some other things I can recommend (although you might have checked these already). For you USB ports not working, look in Device manager (Go to start menu > run > type: devmgmt.msc > click ok). Look for any yellow exclamation points or red x's under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." It may be that you need to update drivers for that particular laptop from Toshiba, try downloading them from: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Download. Another good place to update: Microsoft or Windows update if you are using MS Windows.

As for your fan failing, that's best dealt with by a pc tech in person, though I suspect it might have something to do with something shorting out in there. Might have something to do with another faulty component in the laptop involving power, especially if there is a burning smell (In a desktop, a faulty power supply will often fry anything new you put in a computer). Or, it could just be something with the fan, but it's all speculation from here.

Sounds like you live in a hot place, remember heat is the ultimate enemy of your laptop. Sometimes in an older laptop (although yours isn't that old) it is helpful to get a cooling bay that you can place it on top of. These are generally pretty cheap and are a good investment.

Finally, for the memory, those darn things change so fast and often that they're probably obsolete, but if you can find another computer that is compatible, I wouldn't see why not. A wonderful website for detecting the type of ram on your laptop automatically besides consulting the manual is crucial.com. Once you know the ram type, you'll be able to find another compatible computer. Hope this helps a bit.
      Cna yuo raed tihs? i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Has my laptop gone kaput? Failing battery, fan and usb ports
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »
      Your laptop is with about $100 as parts. A replacement in mint condition is close to $700. But a new laptop with same specs goes for less.

Forget about the memory sticks.You said it yourself, the thing has been in the heat. PC components do not recover from heatstroke. The damage is permanent.