Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GPU fan making a buzzing noise  (Read 17829 times)

dwegiel

Rookie

Re: GPU fan making a buzzing noise
    « Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 09:31:43 PM »
    Yes, but I did specifically state underclocking. I doubt that if your GPU is already hot, that it will overclock. I experimented with my 6200, and when it is at a hot temp (60*C), it is downclocked when detect optimal frequencies is pressed. So, seriously, I doubt it. This is also a tool OFFICIAL from NVidia, included in prev. control panels, except the new one.

And I mean, come on. Please play nice with me, and take it easy if I make a mistake. I'm not perfect.

BrydoRX

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:51 AM »
      To revive this thread, I just want to make an update... I will be purchasing a new graphics card today (that'll be either the Nvidia GeForce 9500 or 9800, and they are £62 and £94 respectively) and I'm going to remove the old one and fit in the new one myself as I found some instructions on how to do it here. So yeah, it seems pretty easy to do it although my current graphics card has four screws on the backplate and one of the computer's other components is above one of the screws, which means I may find it difficult to take it out. I'll manage anyway.

Besides, I know for the fact that a brand new graphics card won't make that same noise... as my mum and my brother-in-law said that it will happen again (even though my brother-in-law has experience in computers).

dwegiel

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
        BrydoRX: Just make sure you are buying the card for the correct slot on your motherboard. Don't wanna be left with a useless card.

BrydoRX

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 03:04:41 AM »
          Actually, I think I've realised what's the real cause of this noise... it may be the fact that I'm on the computer on a very frequent basis (which I admit I do) and somehow the GPU can't take the stress on this. I believe me vigorously cleaning the fan and the GPU unable to get used to the cool temperature are not connected to the noise but I'm not sure if any of you can agree with this.

Also, I used RivaTuner to underclock the GPU (to 365MHz) and that didn't help get rid of the noise which is what BC_Programming mentioned already. I honestly don't know what to do now and it seems that the only solution is to keep the computer off for a number of hours. If there's no real solution for this, then I will need to save up for a new computer. I know that may sound silly but that's what I'm going to do and my brother-in-law is helping out on this.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm not sure if the noise will be there for a temporary amount of time (as it only happened since last week) or will it stay there forever. If it's temporary then I'll be happier but I'd want to know when it'll go away. If it's permanent then I'll have to wait until I get the money for a new computer (that will be a laptop) although I can possibly borrowing a laptop from my college when I start back next month.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
          That being said another alternative would be to remove the card and take it to a PC store and see what they would charge to install a replacement fan...if you don't care to do it yourself.

Personally i still think the card is worth salvaging but if you want a new card that's certainly an option as well.

patio.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BrydoRX

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 03:46:57 AM »
            It's been a week and I'd like to say some good news... the buzzing noise from the GPU is gone now although it now makes a low engine-like noise which I can tolerate. I noticed this difference since Monday and I believe that the GPU is slowly recovering from its problem. I don't know if its recovery was done by itself or did the underclock settings I specified a week ago helped this.

I can't believe it's been two weeks that the buzzing noise has been going for but even if it's gone, I'd like to know when the GPU will fully recover. I'm guessing it could fully recover next Monday (2nd August) but I could be wrong. At least I'm happy now :)