Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: firefox 3.6.6 won't open after install  (Read 7564 times)

fredg33

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

firefox 3.6.6 won't open after install
    « on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
    Operating system Windows XP, sp3.

After installing Firefox 3.6.6 all indications are that it is installed. i.e., desktop shortcut,
    shows in the add/remove programs applet, shows in the installed programs.  Any attempts to open the browser are ignored.  When clicking on the shortcut, the hourglass appears, and that is the end of it.  I've done a little research, and it seems to tell me that it is a Java problem,  but I am having difficulty understanding.  I have attempted a clean install several time with the same results. 

Thanks for any guidance or help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: firefox 3.6.6 won't open after install
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
    In the Firefox folder try running Firefox (safemode). What happens?

fredg33

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
      It will not open in safe mode either.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
      Reboot. This time, as soon as you see the WELCOME screen hold down the LEFT CTRL key on the keyboard and continue holding it down until the mouse cursor is no longer an hourglass - could be a minute or so (with XP, this will stop all startup programs from loading - essentially a clean boot). Then try to open Firefox. What happens?

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:34:10 PM »
      safe mode. Did you reboot to safe mode or you were attempting to use the firefox safemode function?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
      I meant Firefox's safemode. Now I'd like to try a clean boot - OR safe mode, either one.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »
      After installing Firefox 3.6.6
      Upgrade, or first installation?

fredg33

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
        I apologize for not perhaps not giving enough information.  The computer is a Compaq SR 2010 NX, 120 GB HD,that belongs to a friend that is disabled.  He asked me to check it out as it was running so slowly.  I installed a 1 GB of memory, ran CCleaner, defragged the HD and Registry, and the machine, other than the Firefox problem performs almost as good as new now. 

After the first failed attempt in opening Firefox 3.6.6 after installation, he told me that someone (?) had tried to install Firefox and it would not open for him either.

I have not tried the Safe Mode installation as it may be a few days before I can get to it. My research with Firefox and others on the net that have had the same problem have said that the Safe Mode install doesn't work either.

I am about ready to install Chrome on his machine, and then wait until the bugs are out of the new Beta Version of Firefox, and try it again.  (Anything to get away from IE8)

I do appreciate any help.  If I do find a solution to this problem I will post it here.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:18:14 PM »
        I didn't suggest installing in safe mode. I'd like you to boot to safe mode and try to open Firefox.

fredg33

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
          Just re read my last post, and realize what I said.  I didn't mean to try and install it in Safe Mode, just to open it in Safe Mode as you suggest.  I will try that when I return to his computer.

Thanks.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:37 PM »
          try downloading an older version of firefox and see if it does any better.

You could then try upgrading to the latest version using the update checker built into firefox.

or perhaps try installing firefox somewhere else (i.e., some other folder outside of the program files default like perhaps under C:\ or whatever the local disk is for say)

fredg33

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
            Over the weekend I tried all the suggestions given to get Firefox 3.6.6 to work on the computer and nothing worked. 

So I gave up and installed the new Firefox 4.0 Beta.  The download and installation worked flawlessly.  I then downloaded and installed Google Chrome again flawlessly and both engines work perfectly.

It is not worth the effort and lost time to keep digging to discover the anomaly of that particular computer that won't let 3.6.6 work properly.

Thank everyone for your advice and help.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
            Pretty intriguing results...and no way to tell what the culprit was...but good to hear you are fixed up...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "