Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC freezes/dies after upgrade  (Read 1955 times)

m_i_rite

PC freezes/dies after upgrade
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »
Ever since upgrading the fan and ram in my computer, it has been shutting down and restarting unexpectedly, however the results vary.

When I try to run XP it usually started fine, although the animations were laggy and there were stray pixels, but it would die and restart any time you tried to do something intensive (ie. open firefox).

When I tried to run Ubuntu off of a live cd it would freeze at varying stages of boot.

I was also trying to upgrade to Windows 7 at the time so I tried running that disk. It would go through the loading files bit and play the starting windows animation (messed up like it was in xp) but it would blue-screen right after that and give me a "Bad-Pool-Error" message right after that (most of the time, a couple of times I managed to get half-way through the install, once it blue-screened with a different message, and the other it gave me a D:\ drive error (the hdd it was being installed on))

I have tested the memory using Memtest86, it failed part of test 5 on the first run through, but then passed 5 more run through.
I tried using each of the two new ram modules individually, both with the same results.
I tried disconnecting both hdds in case it was a virus, or overloading the psu, and got the same results
I tried sticking in a new gpu as it was using the integrated one before. This cleared up all of the animation and display issues, but then xp died right after the starting windows animation when using xp, and no difference with ubuntu or 7
I tried going back to the original cpu heat-sink/fan and got the same results
I tried going back to the original ram and got the same results

So at this point I am running out of ideas, my specs are:
Asus p5v800 mx motherboard
The new ram is 2 1GB PNY DDR PC3200 modules (The old was 512MB, I'm not sure about the make and model)
The new heat-sink/fan is an oem socket 775 fan
The cpu is a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 with HT
The PSU came with the case and doesn't give me any information on what it is.
The GPU added after-wards is a PCI Diablotek Radeon 7500 with 64 MB memory.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: PC freezes/dies after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
Download & install HWMonitor.  Post screenshot.  While you're at it get CPU-Z.